Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks

Old 01/04/2008, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Getting new T-5 bulbs, thoughts for Dersea

On a 29g tank I have a Dersea in the sand under 4x t5 bulbs, individual reflectors; the colors are 2x Actinic and 2x 10k. The bulbs are all Current or coral life I believe. I just ordered 3 Giesemann bulbs: true actinic, 11k, and 6500. I was planning on running the 10k I have, the new 11k, 1 of the actinic I have and the new true actinic. I ordered the 6500 as a spare/just in case. Would this be an ok combo for the clam? Or should I swap the 10k with the new 6500?

The current bulbs are only about 4 months old. I ordered the Giesemann just because someone recommended I try the 11k and the actinic.

Thanks for any input.

Tony
Old 01/04/2008, 07:14 PM
Keeper of the clams!!!

You should have plenty of light for all types of clams.

That should fix it everything right???
Old 01/07/2008, 03:31 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Clams arent as picky as some people make them out to be.

The rule of thumb was always "needs lots of light" because they are usually kept in tanks with halides, yes. But often, they are on the sand anyways, and years ago when that standpoint was developed, sure, it took alot of watts to get the light needed.

Now we have better reflectors, more efficient bulbs (and in many bluer colors), and better ballasts. Yet we still think they need alot.

Okay, so I have been doing PAR readings of clams for a while now in fellow reefers tanks. I found that a vast majority of maximas and croceas are in only 100-130 MicroMol/m2/s intensity light, and doing awesome.

Can they take more? Of course. But do they need it?... no. Sure, they were kept in tanks with high-intensity, but that doesnt mean they are kept themselves in that high intensity light. They are often in the sand. Considering how crappy reflectors were 6-10 years ago in this hobby, I would imagine it would take alot of light to get that 100-130 down on the sand. Now though... its easy. T5s can easily do that.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Hey hahnmeister how would maximas do with 150/175w MH and some T-5 at about 24" deep? Thanks, Jason.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:42 PM
El Jefe de WRS

depends on the K rating of the halide(10,000K or 20,000K for instance?), and how many T5s you are talking about. Why dont you give me the whole tank dimensions, and the complete plan for lights so I have a better idea?
Old 01/07/2008, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

The tank is a 175G bowfront. It is 6' long and 24"deep. I am looking to have 3 150 or 175w Mh's in 10K and 3 rows of T5s. 1 row of actinic, 1row blue plus and 1row maybee 6500k directly over the clams. The tank is going to be a mixed reef and is still heavely in the planning stages. I do live in California so I am trying to find a good balance between enough light and not having to buy mine own power plant. HA Ha Thanks for your time and insight, Jason.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:48 AM
El Jefe de WRS

If you use 150's, decent reflectors (I think there is a smaller lumenarc DE that will fit them, or maybe the lumenmax 3 or something). Anyways, keep with them being 10,000K, thats great for output. And then suppliment that with 3x 5' T5s like you said, but I would just do all blue+ bulbs... no purple of daylight. the 10,000Ks should have plenty of output, and the blue+ will fill in nicely.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the help.