Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Where to find pistol shrimp?

Does anyone know of a (Metro-area) LFS which regularly has in -small- pistol shrimp (either has hitch-hikers, or stock)?
Also, if anyone here has one they'd like to get rid of I'll happily take it off of your hands.

I'm looking for a very small one (preferably under 2") for my nano, and am... er... disinclined to pay $15 for express shipping on a common hitch-hiker.
Old 12/27/2007, 07:02 PM
Reefing... Neato cool!

Aquariums in Edmond often has them but for sure they can order you one. Call and ask. See COMAS LFS page for details: http://lfs.mycomas.com/

CRASE 2008
Old 12/27/2007, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

crystal clear in norman has some.
Old 12/27/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

I some at Wet Pets not too long ago. You might try a gun shop but they make you wait 7 days
Old 12/27/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

I sent an inquiry to Aquariums, and I'll see if I can check out the Wet Pets and Crystal Clear this weekend.

Thanks a bunch! If anyone has one they're looking to get rid of feel free to let me know!
Old 12/27/2007, 09:27 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Fwiw, it will only be a few months before it grows past 2" in length. Trust me; I've had 3.
Old 12/27/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

That's why I'm looking for a small one to begin with. If it seems like it might outgrow this setup I'll bump to a larger tank, or go for something else entirely.

I know quite a few people keep them in 2.5 and 5.5 tanks, so I figured a 2gl wouldn't be very different. If I'm mistaken I'm more than willing to reconsider.
Old 12/28/2007, 02:00 AM
Premium Member

There is more, than one kind of pistol shrimp Randalli pistol shrimp will be around 1 inch

Google it - Search for: craseokc
Old 12/28/2007, 04:16 AM
Registered Member

Oh, I know there's more than one kind. It's terribly hard to find listings of mature sizes (or has been for me, anyway). Or, to find sites/stores that list more than "Snapping shrimp, various spp."

The few I have my eye on are Randalli, Carribean, and the white Pistol. The issue is that I do not wish to buy a lovely creature such as a Randalli, and have it die when I move soon. That's why I had something more in the hitch-hiker spectrum in mind. I'd be understandably upset, but not nearly as heartbroken.

I suppose this thread has come off as unprepared and flighty, which I'm going to have to blame on dry rot from all the sugary treats I've ingested recently.
Old 12/29/2007, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Crystal Clear still has one and it's red and white, very cute!!
Old 12/29/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

I was there today (long hair, long coat, hard to miss). I was sorely tempted to get that one, as it was VERY lovely.

I'm going to wait a little longer, add a little more sand (I had about 1/4" down before, now it's about 1/2"-1") , and make sure everything is going really nice and stable.

I just replaced the old, beat-up, HOB with a new Regent 5-20 which has made a fabulous HOB-Fuge, gonna run thigs for another week, test it all out, and pick up a small CUC if things look good.

Mr. Shiny Pistol... how he tempts me.