Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/25/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Small polyped coral needing ID/pics +2 Hitchhiker bonus!

I bought a rock covered in these little coral polyps. The LFS owner said that he ordered them thinking they were sunflower coral. I have looked at many a sunflower coral picture on the internet but have yet to find any that look like what I have. Anyone know what they are?

Here is a top view, I believe you can see 2 other hitchhikers. The hitchhikers fluoresce under attinic lighting.

I believe this is some sort of anemone as it shrinks when startled or the light changes, but i could be wrong. Is it good or bad?

Here is a side picture of them.
Old 12/25/2007, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

they look like clove polyps to me. and the other think looks like a manjo anemone aka pest anemone
Old 12/25/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Blue clavularia (clove) polyps and I really can't see enough detail in the other pic to say what it is.
Old 12/25/2007, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

That blue coral appears to me to be encrusting goniopora. A clearer photo of the other one would help.
Old 12/25/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Pic #2 looks like a feather duster to me. Pic is blurry though, my blue clove's came with feather dusters on them.
Old 12/25/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

it does kind of look like a feather duster once i take a second look. hmmm..