Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 06/04/2007, 12:15 AM
Premium Member

Any opinions on if they are not breeding by a certain age they change to male?
I seem to remember reading that at Atlantis Aquarium in NY the anthias are breeding in the big reef tank.

Carl
Old 06/04/2007, 07:32 AM
Premium Member

Hmm, another variable thrown into the equation.

I honestly forget if Atlantis has a significant number of bartlett's to form a harem in that large of a tank (20,000 gallons?). I remember he's got squarespots and lyretails. Not sure. Anyone from the Long Island Reef Club?
Old 06/04/2007, 08:46 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

I'd also be curious to know why the GA has so many different anthias in their main reef, but no bartletts. They are in their own exhibit...

I know the Long Beach Aquarium had them with other anthias like squarespot and fatheads, but, IIRC, again, all males.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 06/04/2007, 09:57 AM
Premium Member

I have been thinking about adding some barlett's to my 58 gallon tank but have not done so due to the tank size. Only a pair of ocellaris who never leave their h. crispa anemone, a royal gramma, and a green mandarin in it. All have been in it for over a year, the tank is 8 yrs old. The tank is heavily stocked with mixed coral, and I feed generously with a frozen mix. After reading this thread, it sounds like it may be possible to add them after all. Any thoughts are appreciated...
Old 06/04/2007, 10:32 AM

At this point it seems your guess is as good as anyones. I think assuming you have proper filtration to handle the bioload, and no aggressive fish to intimidate them, a trio might actually do well in this situation.

Old 06/04/2007, 10:49 AM
Hopeless addict

I wish I could have read this thread 6months ago. Here is a shot of one of my females:

Here is a shot of what all of the females looked like just a month later:

I started with a harem of 7 in a 180g tank. I now have 0 because they violently destroyed each other as all but one turned male. When there was just one male left, it killed the female and then died from injuries. I could not trap them. It was a very frustrating and expensive lesson!

I still love anthias, but I don't think I will buy any more.
&nbsp&nbsp o@o&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp "\_r'
&nbsp @o|,@&nbsp&nbsp _/,_&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp >( ')
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 06/04/2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDguy
and no aggressive fish to intimidate them,
Or, alternatively, perhaps some larger fish in there to distract the anthias from picking on each other constantly might be the way to go. Hmmmm....

Old 06/04/2007, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

aztbs, did you buy them all together? What about feeding schedule? Any other aggressive fish in the tank?

While yours is just one case report, it's making me re-think my stocking strategy as I was also thinking of doing 7-8+ females in at least a 180 (similar to the lyretail strategy).

In addition, stocking 1 bartlett per 40-50 gallons seems to result in all males, at least from some of the reports in this thread.

Now, I'm not sure. Maybe there's other contributing factors other than # of fish per gallons ratio in order to keep a harem long term (i.e. aggressive fish)?

I remember reading on one of the threads that one guy's 3 purple tangs started schooling after he put in a sohal.

Come on anthia-experienced reefers, let's hear your thoughts!!
Old 06/04/2007, 11:19 AM
Hopeless addict

Yes I bought them all at once. The whole tank was fed at the same time once a day without fail and often twice a day when I could. They all ate very well and seemed healthy. No other large or aggressive fish. I have a very young female lamarck's angel that would nip at them if they came to her territory, but never anything serious.

Sometimes I would think things were going to settle out. They found different places in the tank to hide from each other. But then I would turn on the light one morning and find an almost dead fish with the whole tail pretty much bit off and the other anthias picking at it no matter where it tried to hide. They always teamed up on one at a time.

I imagine that there are probably so many factors involved. This is a very interesting thread.
&nbsp&nbsp o@o&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp "\_r'
&nbsp @o|,@&nbsp&nbsp _/,_&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp >( ')
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 06/04/2007, 11:34 AM

Another point to mention, IME, they are very overtly aggressive to other sick anthias.

Old 06/04/2007, 01:25 PM
Who dat?

Quote:
Originally posted by SDguy
Eeek!, so only one person so far?

Great pics dave, BTW. Sucks that you lost them...actually, sucks more that your tank cracked
I didn't loose anything. All the animals reside in other peoples aquariums now.
Old 06/07/2007, 09:34 PM

bump for any more experiences....

Old 06/07/2007, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

Not Bartlett related but I am just about at the six month mark with my dispar. I still have two male and two female. I started with two males and 6 females but had 4 girls jump within the first few weeks. No sign the females are changing. I added two female lori's to the group and the male dispar keep them close just like the dispar females.

Carl

Carl
Old 06/07/2007, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

Is it possible to buy a group of bartlett's where the male is already established (i.e. larger) and the females are smaller?

I'm just wondering if you use the lower density strategy (i.e. 1 anthia per 40-50 gallons per Scott Michael's book), buy a group with 1 supermale already established, and finally have a "boss" for the tank to keep everyone in line (i.e. aggressive tang, like a purple or established yellow), you might increase your chances of keeping a mini harem rather than all of them turning male? I think bradleyj uses the low density strategy, has a bluethroat trigger (please correct me if I'm wrong on this one). However, I'm not sure if when you bought them, if there were all the same size.

Just some thoughts.
Old 06/07/2007, 10:42 PM
Who dat?

I kept Princess anthias ( P. smithvanizi) with my Bartletts and the Bartletts did not "like" them. I have had Bartletts and Redfins (P. dispar) together and they will coexist fine. The Redfins will even take on the coloration of the Bartletts.
Old 06/07/2007, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just dave
I kept Princess anthias ( P. smithvanizi) with my Bartletts and the Bartletts did not "like" them. I have had Bartletts and Redfins (P. dispar) together and they will coexist fine. The Redfins will even take on the coloration of the Bartletts.
The Redfins will even take on the coloration of the Bartletts. [/B][/QUOTE]

Now this is something that I thought I was just imagining. When I bought my 5 bartletts, some dispars came in on the same shipment and I bought 2 of them. 1 of the dispars still has its original coloring, but the second one has definately taken on alot of dark pink on the top of its body. The same coloration as my male bartletts.

In this picture below, you can see how much darker the dispar is and how much pink it has taken on.

The top anthias on the right.

Old 06/07/2007, 11:20 PM

Dispar anthias, especially the male, get lots of pink on them. It's natural, but only shows up on well established individuals.

Old 06/07/2007, 11:31 PM
Who dat?

I get them out of the Marshall's and it seems they live amongst the more common Bartletts and take on Bartletts coloration as does a type of Slender anthias. When I separate the Redfins from the Bartletts they quickly revert back to the more traditional coloration. I think it would be interesting to have a tank with a group of Bartletts,Dispars,Slenders, and a Midas Blenny and a Lyretail hawk (these last two live amongst anthias in nature.)
Old 06/08/2007, 03:17 AM
Premium Member

Marshalls bartletts are always much much smaller. I got in about 50 of them all were 1" or less and female (no males)

the christmas island bartletts are always big and usually male. out of 100 i think i had 22 females, rest males. about 30 were "supermales" with the streamers. So either a) they only collected the big bright ones, or b) the bartletts are just like that in nature....

i know when i keep them together in confined spaces (aka 100 in a 55 gallon) they do bicker and will bite the tips of the tails of other ones (usually male on male aggression).

I think it has to do with space verse quantity. in a 180 gallon tank (just for arguments sake) i would add probably 7-10. IME they are very passive towards other fish (most noteably fairies/tangs/angels etc)

This is interesting. Especially those who have had them pick each other off... not characteristic of bartletts IME... keep em coming. im intrigued!
Old 06/08/2007, 07:24 AM

THis is great. I very pleased to be getting such great info on such an often recommended, yet clearly not well understood fish.

Old 06/08/2007, 07:46 AM
Premium Member

"I think it has to do with space verse quantity. in a 180 gallon tank (just for arguments sake) i would add probably 7-10. IME they are very passive towards other fish (most noteably fairies/tangs/angels etc)"

so, would you say that using the higher density method is better than the low density method (1 anthia/40-50g) for keeping a group of bartlett's female longterm?
Old 06/08/2007, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

I had 7 bartletts in a 100Gal, Got as one male and 6 females, one female went carpet surfing.... after almost 2 years, I had 2 males and 4 females, but lost them all to a breaker malfunction....
Old 06/08/2007, 08:45 AM

So I would consider 6-7 individuals on the higher side, for density. Did your two males coexist, or did one always hide?

Old 06/08/2007, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

One hid mostly, but the other one was out in the open..... they sparred every now and then, but never got to the point of killing each other...
Old 06/08/2007, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

i would think that more would keep the females females. If there are 3 in 180 gallon, 1 male and 2 females. There really isn't any reason for the females to stay females. With one male, and plenty of space they will probably change to male because of the room available to grow.

if you add 10 to a 180 1 male and 9 females, the space now is very limited per anthias. A few will change to a male but i believe these would keep the rest of the females in check. If there isn't much space available then the females most likely wont turn to a male. Thats my guess. Ive never had a female turn to a male while holding it, but i have not held them for very long.

IMO/E the bigger the space the more you should have. in a 55 gallon i think 3-5 would keep them in check.