Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/22/2006, 03:19 PM
angelfish nut!

C. resplendens and C. fisheri- Mom and Dad of the Hawaiian resplendent angel + others

Well, Christmas came early this year for me and not since I convinced my parents to get me my first marine system nearly 20 years ago when I was little have I been so excited! A few years ago I had the pleasure of meeting Frank Baensch of rcthawaii and since then I’ve met with him a few times in Hawaii and we’ve become friends. He’s an outstanding guy with a passion, and is the only person in the world currently successfully breeding saltwater angelfish. His most recent accomplishment was a cross between the Ascension Island endemic Centropyge resplendens and the Hawaiian endemic Centropyge fisheri (although this is now grouped with a couple of other species, so it’s no longer endemic). I will not go into the details of this cross, but while the fish are naturally found oceans apart they are very closely related… possibly color variants of the same species… But anyway, Frank has a few of these hybrids for sale through January, and after that they’ll never be created again. Last Monday, eleven days ago, the pair was sent to me to retire on the East Coast. They are settled in well in a 54 gallon corner system that is part of a half circle along with another 54 gallon. I placed a chiller on the system and keep the water between 76 and 78, as the resplendens cannot take much above that long term… Resplendens are the only angel on the IUCN red list of threatened species, and there is now no wild collection of them. Anyway, I’m sure I’ll have more to say, but here are some pictures… What a pair!

You know you’re excited when they aren’t even out of the bag and you take a photo! He’s the male of the pair by the way…

The resplendens is a very bright blue ringed with turquoise around the edging of the fins…

Here’s a few of the pair…

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.

Last edited by copps; 12/22/2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12/22/2006, 03:19 PM
angelfish nut!

Along with this wonderful pair, I received Frank’s original male C. interuptus that fathered every interuptus he bred through the years. Sadly he lost the female about 6 months ago. The male he estimates to be around seven years old, so he’s got plenty of life left in him… he’s around 5 inches and will eventually go in my large display shown in my avatar…

Something rare I also received, although not a rare species, was one of the dozen or so lemon peels Frank raised a few years ago… nobody else has ever bred these and Frank did them once, so this is just the second one in the US outside of Hawaii… there is one on display at the Waikiki Aquatium in Honolulu also… He sent it and as a surprise threw in a coral beauty from Christmas Island that it was spawning with… these two naturally hybridize in the wild…

Frank also offered up his pair of Centropyge colini that he successfully spawned. While I won’t eventually have the room, a prominent LFS in my area is taking them for their display system. But until they’re ready, they’re in my care… These guys are a very unique and interesting in both their body shape and behavior… These were properly collected in Fiji, but this species has problems adapting due in large part to improper collection… Here’s a shot… the male is on the right…

They look like they’re yellow, and got tagged with a can of blue spray paint…

I’ll keep everyone updated on their progress… I should say that Frank is hanging onto the rest of his broodstock, so nothing else is available beyond the hybrids he has left. I was offered a pair of C. hotumatua but passed, as these guys need water kept below 72 degrees to have long term success. That pair has since sold to someone who’s dedicating a system to them, and who’ll have one heck of an electric bill running that chiller!

I’d like to hear from anyone who has any of the offspring from these fish… I know Sang (Maximus) has his famous pair of interuptus, that I and others convinced him to recently keep! I know Alicia (slojmn) and Harry (hceiv) who both have pairs of the hybrids… and my good friend Nick (nbd13) who’ll be receiving his after the holidays… Anyone have the full resplendens or colini?

Happy Holidays all… Santa was good to me this year!

Copps

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 12/22/2006, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Wow copps, beautiful fish! What great christmas presents indeed! Happy Holidays!
Old 12/22/2006, 03:28 PM
angelfish nut!

Christmas gifts to myself of course... never has the second line of my signature been more true, and hopefully the wife cannot distinguish him from a flameback

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 12/22/2006, 03:29 PM
angelfish nut!

For those wondering, here is an excellent shot of one of Alicia's (slojmn) hybrids created from this pair... I hope she doesn't mind me using it... it's a wonderful shot. It's great to see them developing and you could see who he gets that turquoise edging from... Again Frank still has these available but only until January...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 12/22/2006, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

Nice!!!!

You just had to take a picture of those coloni!! They are sweet looking. Now I have time. Oh, well.
Old 12/22/2006, 03:50 PM
angelfish nut!

Thanks Stefan... the colini will be tough to let go of when the LFS is ready... but they're in the 54 gallon opposite the resplendens/fisheri pair and that tank is reserved for a pair of joculators... as you may know

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 12/22/2006, 04:09 PM
Keeping It Real

Really nice copps... I hope Frank isn't getting out entirely is he??? C. Interuptus has been one of my dream fish... I currently stay satisfied with my C. Multicolor... But planned to add in the future... Anyways, good luck with your pairs!!!

Its not a hobby... Its a way of life...
Old 12/22/2006, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

Wow!!! John, you just made my day. Freaking awesome collection you have there, and all those fish couldn't have gone to a better person. Please keep us updated with pictures.

Merry Chrismas!

James
Old 12/22/2006, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

Nice! Sounds like Frank won't be breeding any more interruptus. That's too bad as I was really hoping to get on his next list.
Old 12/22/2006, 05:36 PM
Pimping the Lady Boys

John.
I wouldnt give those P.colini away.
C.joculator is a nice fish, but a true apir of colini is a rare find, this fish have so much difficulties to survive in captivity due to starvation and what seems to be cyanide related problems, since you got yourself a pair that dont have those problem I'd never let them go!

Merry xmas my friend.
Old 12/22/2006, 07:21 PM
DARC Board Member

Wow!!!!!

Here is my hybrid in a 120 reef. It's very active and looking for a partner.

Same fish, closeup:

-Rob
Old 12/22/2006, 09:04 PM
angelfish nut!

ct_vol and Phil, Frank is just taking a break for a while and will be working on his Phd. He's still kept some broodstock, including debelius, resplendens, interuptus and some others... Trust me he'll be back... and his operation will be bigger He's honed his Although he is taking a break, depending on what sort of eggs he gets he may come out of that break sooner rather than later. No worries though... he WILL be back... or he'll keep hearing it from me!

James, thanks Bud... I'm happy you could appreciate them... Merry Christmas too!

Vili, I will not give the Colin's away until I know the home is ready and doing well... they are going in a 125 display and like my systems they will be built around the pair. I would absolutely love to keep them, but the joculators I've had planned and I have no other systems that they'd be happy in. While they are tough to find healthy, joculators are being collected by just one collector in one small island chain, and I want to get some before they go the way of the resplendens and hotumatua with full protection. If they keep growing on me, I may have to keep them I love all of my fish, but these fish particularly I look at in historic terms, being ambassadors of their species having been the first to spawn in captivity... call it cheesy, but that's the way I feel I hope to give them a long and happy retirement!

Rob, those things are superstars huh!? It will be great to see how they mature and develop, and if they're sexually viable... Frank's also held onto a bunch of the hybrids to see if they spawn...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 12/22/2006, 10:08 PM
2/08 HB first show

copps,

I never really liked angels, there just not my fish, but that male C. interuptus has to be one of the nicest ones I have ever seen.
He looks like he is staring at the camera... priceless..

Congrats to you... Best of luck with all of them.

I am interested to see if those hy's are sexually viable

A person can solve a lot of problems by FIRST using a QT tank.. QT all new fish.
Old 12/22/2006, 10:13 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

I felt the same way about dwarf angels. But since acquiring a pair of argi angels, I can appreciate how beautiful they really are. Copps, those angels are gorgeous (though I;m partial to the purebreds)

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 12/22/2006, 10:20 PM
Dismembered

Wow! Beautiful fish! Good luck with them and enjoy!
Old 12/22/2006, 10:21 PM
angelfish nut!

Thanks Hattie... I'll try and get a better shot in the tank, but here he is... these were immensely popular and Frank will do them again in the future I'm sure... Liveaquaria has one available now, but the price is steep... almost double what Frank was charging for his captive bred. All Centropyge as a species have always had different habits, and this guy definitely fits in the "puppy dog" category... he already follows me around ... What a stud! He's done his part for his species...

Peter, argi are one of my favortie dwarfs actually and I love the argi complex. They are usually the most reef safe of them all, and my pair touches nothing so far... I too am partial to the purebreds ... that's why I have Mommy and Daddy... the hybrids are growing on me though as they grow... I love them all!

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 12/22/2006, 10:39 PM
The Micro/Acan Collector

John they are all AWESOME specimens!!! I can't wait to come by and take a look at them.

30"x30" Bullet Proof Cube (in progress)
Old 12/23/2006, 12:08 AM
I Need An Intervention!

Very Very Nice John!!!
Old 12/23/2006, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

Copps- well done. I am glad that this pair has found their way to able hands- and not necessarily the wealthiest (and possibly inexperienced) hands. We all can know they will have a good life from this point.

Are you housing this pair in a tank with any other angels? Or more specifically any in that "related" group?
Old 12/23/2006, 09:18 AM
Pimping the Lady Boys

John,
Cant compare Joculators to those amazing Colins.
If I was in America I would have trade them with ya for joculatos.

Anyway, take care of those fish, they're awsome!
Old 12/23/2006, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

I'm sure Nick would gladly trade you his pair of joculators for your colinis. Right Nick?

James
Old 12/23/2006, 10:10 AM
angelfish nut!

Chris and Mike... thanks...

Jeremy, thanks bud... Frank knows I could appreciate these more than anyone... he could have sold them for many times the price I got them for. I take great responsibility in providing these guys as happy and long a life as I can... they are priceless to me and I'd never let them go at any price! I'm thankful he didn't have more to offer, as I would've had to come up with more money! They are the only angels in their tank... You know when I first got them I had thoughts of throwing in a C. argi to be the second female of the group, but I've decided against it. I don't want to rock the boat, and I'd rather have these two together alone... I'm going to have something made up next to the tank on the wall explaining their history and significance so that people could get an understanding without getting too much of an earful from me ... Some people may think I'm crazy but I reallt think what Frank's doing is amazing... he's made so many advances in angelfish breeding on his own with the help of these wonderful pairs of fish, and so I'm honored to be able to give them a happy retirement...

Vili... stop it! Do you think it's going to be easy to hand these fish off? I feel bad enough, but rest assured I would not do it unless I was 100% confident in where they were going... I know the owner and one of the employees very well and they are good guys... They'll have 125 gallons dedicated to them with fish that will not bother them...

Thanks again for everyone chiming in... it's great to be able to share these with all of us that appreciate angels around the world from the comfort of my kitchen . Reef Central is great for that...

James... Nick doesn't have his Joc pair yet... just one at the moment... believe it or not Nick is one of the people I offered the Colin's to before I did the LFS... he declined (insert sad music )... in all seriousness it's probably better... Nick's got a rockin' display with many nice fish... but a bold group! The Colin's are a rather timid Centropyge... not quite as bad as the golden (C. aurantius)... but I have been surprised by how bold this pair is compared to others of their species... at the moment they're with the interuptus in the 54 gallon opposite the resplendens/fisheri pair and they hug the live rock yet are out in the open... Again the interuptus would come out of the tank and is like a puppy... He's awaiting the chiller on my large system... But anyway it's better that these Colin's will end up in a relaxed large display with no other angels, but man that's going to be a tough day!

Hey, while we're all here... who's going to MACNA in Pittsburgh next year?

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 12/23/2006, 10:45 AM
Professional Aquarist

Quote:
Originally posted by copps
Hey, while we're all here... who's going to MACNA in Pittsburgh next year?
We did ask Frank to speak at MACNA, but I believe he had to turn us down because that was a busy time for work. But, if things have change and he is interested and available, have him contact me. I will make sure we have a speaker spot for him.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 12/23/2006, 11:01 AM
angelfish nut!

Hey Steven, I'll ask him and find out. While he is taking a break from spawning his angels, he will still be working very much on related things after a trip to Australia with the GF . He's looking into raising fry from other families, and compiling work he's done in the past along with new work for his doctorate. I'll get back to you after I speak to him... It's very stressful for him to travel even without having fry as he still has many fish... Thank you Steven for that open invitation though... it's great to see that you guys realize his significance in the hobby. Thanks also for your work with MACNA...

Copps

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus