Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 12/24/2007, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

qt/Hypo on anthias

I just got a group of 6 orange stripe anthias. i was wondering if anyone has experiaence with hypo salinity and anthias in qt?
Old 12/25/2007, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

Plenty of experience. It should be mandatory along with a few rounds of treatment with prazi pro.

Carl
Old 12/25/2007, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

Thanks carl, if possible can you detail yoer regimen?
Old 12/25/2007, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

Sure.

When I add fish to my QT I leave the tank half empty. Over the next couple of days I drop the salinity by adding fresh water until I reach 1.09. When I reach the desired salinity I use a marker to mark the edge of the tank so I know the exact level to top off with fresh water. While in hypo I treat with Prazi Pro. I use this since it is stable in fresh and saltwater. I try to keep the fish in hypo for at least three weeks. By this time you should be able to tell if ich is present. Hypo only kills ich. The other benefits are increased O2 content and slowed metabolism which will help promote eating and purging of toxins from stress of shipping and collection.

I raise the salinity slowly over a period of a week. It could probably be done faster but this has worked for me. Since I left plenty of room in the tank to add water I add full strength water.

After about four weeks the fish have been put through everything they need for a good parasite free start in the tank. By this time they are almost always eating everything I will usually feed my display. If they aren't eating what I normally feed they stay in the QT until they are.

Filtration consists of a air driven sponge filter. A maxi jet provides some flow and I use sections of PVC with suction cups glued to the bottom to provide the fish with cover.

Since I feed heavy I do water changes usually every other day using water that has a matching temp, Ph and salinity.

I think that about covers it.

Carl
Old 12/26/2007, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

great.. perfect.. I get the 6 fasciatus jan 5.. thanks again
Old 12/26/2007, 08:24 AM
Premium Member

I think you'll like them. I would love to add a froup to my tank but it already has to many anthias.

Carl
Old 01/11/2008, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

will the prazi pro rid/kill the parasites or just control them?? im sure these fish have them. they are pooping stringyness. they all eat voraciously
Old 01/11/2008, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

It will kill them. If your pretty positive they are infected I would go through the effort of getting some adult brine and gut load them with the Prazi and feed the anthias the brine for a week while also doing the bath treatment for two cycles.

Carl
Old 01/11/2008, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

seeing the feces im pretty sure.. thanks carl
Old 01/11/2008, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

will the brine absorb the prazi by soaking them alone
Old 01/11/2008, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

They will ingest it since they are filter feeders.

Carl