Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 01/04/2008, 02:10 AM
Premium Member

Unhappy My email has been compromised

I don't know how anyone was able to get my password, but......

I have my yahoo account pushed to my iphone. I start getting emails from myspace. Never been on the site, have no use for it.

Anyway, I get several emails saying I've set up this account and gives a password. What is strange, I have an email where a link has to be followed to activate the page... I've never requested anything from myspace. Well.... it gets stranger and stranger....

I also have an email to confirm a change of email address.... What??? I'm getting lost in the load of emails I'm getting.... I send an email to myspace telling them I did not set up an account and to remove whatever has been posted. Still waiting to see what happens.

So I go to myspace and log in with the info sent to MY email. Looks like I have a myspace account, don't have a clue who the person is on the page, or how they managed to get my password from my yahoo account.

I'm not so worried about a petty myspace page, I can get that removed rather easily. What worries me.... I have work email sent to that address, and they can delete the emails. And just what kind of emails are being sent from my account?

Here is the link to the myspace page....
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=307683387
Old 01/04/2008, 07:32 AM
Registered Member

you can report it to myspace and they'll maybe cancel that certain account...

Christy

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 01/04/2008, 07:40 AM
Reeferus Horribilus

First most obvious is change your password...now not later.
Old 01/04/2008, 07:45 AM
Moved In

I've gotten stuff like that before. Maybe your emails are so close it's a mistake. I get all kinds of crap for someone that has itunes. I basically just mark it as spam as i don't want to get involved with it.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 01/04/2008, 07:56 AM
m0delgator

Someone else using your email address to create an account on a site doesn't mean they have access to your email account, all it means is that they typed your email address into that site's new account form. Indeed, it sounds like the person realized the mistake and tried to get myspace to change the email address from yours to theirs - hence the emails from myspace asking to change the email address on the account.

Unfortunately, the other possibility - which is getting more likelier every day - is that the emails aren't really from myspace, and are someone phishing for your personal information. However it doesn't really sound like the case here, but it's something to keep an eye out for.

In either case, the takeaway lesson is to ignore the emails. Never click on links in emails you're not expecting, and never put personal information anywhere you're not 100% sure is safe. If it makes you feel better, change your password on the email account and ignore the myspace emails.