Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society

Old 12/04/2007, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy GSP not opening?Pics

I came home today and my GSP are not open for some reason. Everything else in the tank is perfectly fine. Any ideas?

A couple weeks ago

Today???
Old 12/04/2007, 04:11 PM
My Life for Aiur!

I would just give it time. They will occassionally just close up for a day. How long have they been closed up?
Old 12/04/2007, 04:13 PM
Team RC Member

that second pic looks like he's got detritus or something or other on em. How's the flow on the GSP's?

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 12/04/2007, 04:34 PM
master of junk mail

I've had them close up for about 3 weeks, then open back up same as usual. I would take the opportunity to clean off the mat though.
Old 12/04/2007, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

LOL...that Goby looks bummed that the GSP is not opened up in that last photo.

Beautiful goby by the way!
Old 12/04/2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

I assume that my polyps have been less that 15 hours. I didn't know if my fish would eat the polyps. I have a foxface,leopard wrasse,canary wrasse,scooters among the group that always pick at the rocks. I've seen my foxface pick algae from corals before I just didn't know how far the fish would go.I agree that there is some detritus on them, I of course didn't see it until now,and Im going to take the baster to them I guess I will do that sometimes to help in the future. They have decent flow, they ph is just behind them and I have it pointed a little up to help the flow with my hammer/frogspawn. I actually had to tun off one of my korali's cause my squamosa was getting mad. Thanks peaseinusa (cool name BTW) my goby loves to be in front of the camera.
Old 12/04/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

<<>>

I have a pink spotted watchman goby that is super cool and he has a great personality. It has become one of my favorite fish.

As for your polyps, I have a green star colony that has gone through bouts of being totally closed up for as many as 3-5 days, but then they open up and look perfectly normal. Have you noticed any fish resting on the colony such as the goby or other fishes or any other inhabitants disturbing the colony? I totally agree with the other postings as this is not a concern.

Also, have you recently moved the colony to different light levels or has anything blocking or changing the light levels?
Old 12/04/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Wow very nice goby peaceinusa! I haven't noticed any fish resting on it, I only see the usual trying to get pods occassionally. I haven't moved the colony or changed lights. All the lights are on timers, day to dusk thing, so lighting is very consistent. The coliny is in the open so nothing shadows or even touches it. I attached it to a tonga branch to let it spread just on the branch. I swished water on the gsp to remove some of the junk that had collected on it. It is still closed for now I will keep an eye on it and see how it does and hopefully all will be fine in a few days. Thank everyone so much for their insight.
Old 12/05/2007, 12:12 AM
OMAS VP

Also check your alk.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

Yes I figured that out today when I came home and my purple coraline was pink. Dang it! My alk is like 4, very low. So I ran to PM and got some reef builder so that should fix that hopefully. I used to have it on hand but I never used it so I threw it away. I used to use marine buffer in my top off and water changes. Then I was told (recently) to switch to reef buffer, so I did. I guess my alk has been bouncing around when I top off. My friend suggested I use marine buffer on top off water, and reef buffer on water change water. What buffers do you use for top off, and water changes? I will recheck alk tomorrow, ph and magnesium still look good right now.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Well tested alk this morning after I took dog to the vet, it only went up to 6. I'm not sure how fast I can raise it w/o causing any injuries. Now my foxface is really pale and is swimming different, hopefully nothing happens to him. (he eats bubble algea so of course I'm fond of him) Any suggestions?
Old 12/06/2007, 07:21 PM
OMAS VP

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html
Old 12/06/2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

What is the difference between reef builder and reef buffer?
Old 12/07/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Well my alk is still at 6, I put some marine buffer in tonight and I'll retest again later. Good news though my star polyps are opening a little today and my foxface looks normal again. I probably did something to stress him out.
Old 12/07/2007, 07:27 PM
OMAS VP

You can also use baking soda which will be allot cheaper.
Old 12/08/2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

hey scubajsm do all foxfaces eat bubble alge or did you just get lucky>?..

scott
Old 12/08/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

How much baking soda do you use? Does it just raise alk or both ph and alk? bigscott I'm not sure if I got lucky or not but I've read of other people having foxfaces eating ba too.