Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/01/2003, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

galaxia

what can you put galaxia in close proximity to? what should you definitly keep it away from?
Old 05/04/2003, 12:18 PM
WetWebMedia

papanano,

You can put it next to rocks and glass. Definitely keep it away from any living things.

Seriously though, galaxea is a very potent stinger and can develop sweepers several inches long. Give it plenty of room, because almost any other coral will suffer from it's stinging.

Keeping current on the low side and keeping other animals "up wind" will help.

HTH

Adam
Old 05/04/2003, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

You can put it next to other galaxea. Like Adam said, anything that can't die can go next to it..

The only thing in my tank I've found the galaxea can "coexist" with are large zoanthids. But they don't really coexist, they battle, and the zoanthids win so it kind of keeps the galaxea in check. I would keep your galaxea on a rock that can be easily movied as it is surprising how easily it can attack.

I have a large colony in my tank, and even in low/moderate current it has produced sweepers nearly a foot in length. I've created minor barriers and put mine near my overflow so most of the long sweepers either hit rock before finding anything, or get drawn up into the overflow. Such an awesome coral, but an absolute beast.
Old 05/05/2003, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

i have been told that clams are safe also and i have a crocea in close proximity to the galaxea, so far so good, lets hope it stays that way!!!
Old 05/05/2003, 11:23 AM
Eric Borneman

I don't think a clam will be safe.
Old 05/05/2003, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

i will take your word for it then and move the clam, any other advice on galaxea eric, thank you, greg
Old 05/06/2003, 12:56 AM
Reefer

How about Tubipora musica?
Old 05/06/2003, 02:27 AM
Yellow Shirt MACNA Peon

This is interesting. I have a nice purple-brown chunk of galaxia in my rockwork about 2" from a small green torch. The galaxia is directly downwind from a nearby powerhead, and can't throw sweepers towards the torch (that I know of...). Every once in a while the torch is all shriveled up. I wonder if the galaxia is sneaking him somehow... If he WAS getting hit, would there be any obvoius lingering effect?

S !

ps - Adam - where the h*ll are my buckets?!?

"With great power comes great responsibility"
"PMAS VP has no powers"
Old 05/06/2003, 07:54 AM
Eric Borneman

Nematocysts are nematocysts. They are harpoons with a toxin. Other than fish, algae, some tunicates and some soft corals maybe, I can't think of too many things that would either not elicit a stinging response or have an epidermis or cuticle thick enough to not get pennetrated.
Old 05/06/2003, 11:09 AM
WetWebMedia

Sam,

Sweepers usually come out more at night, so maybe that's why you aren't seeing them. Galaxea vs. Torch is probably a pretty even fight. I would still expect some visible damage to the torch. FWIW, I would move one or the other to be sure.

Your buckets have been in my trunk for over a week. I had them when I saw you and forgot to give them to you. Ooops. I'll PM you and arrange a time to drop them off.

Adam
Old 05/06/2003, 11:30 AM
Majanos Beware!!!

IME galaxia will sting EVERYTHING!! I have witnessed one sting one of my clams, so be carefull with the clam. There are 2 pretty even battles that I have noticed. Zoathids's and Green Star Polyps have seemed to put up a good fight against Galaxia, but I wouldn't recommend placing them close to the galaxia.

My advice to you is to learn your Galaxia and learn the currents of your tank. Pay attention throughout the night as well. Soon you'll know what your limitations are, and then add a few inches to be safe. Good luck to ya!!
Old 05/06/2003, 07:29 PM
Moved On

We had ours next to some red mushrooms, mushrooms won. Started killing off the galaxia.
Old 06/18/2003, 10:19 AM
Overzealous Reefer

Old thread, but thought I would chime in as I have been keeping a Galaxea for past month. (Certainly not an expert, but just my observations.)

IMHO, they will attempt to sting just about EVERYTHING. I have a medium sized Galaxea (a bit smaller than a tennis ball) on a high shelf in my 135 gal. The ONLY coral it is even remotely close to is a Porites species which is loaded with Christmas Tree Worms that seem to multiply to more and more every day! Time will tell how it (the Porites) fares, but I have seen Galaxea stingers. Wowsers!! My piece is small, but I see the stingers reach around 4" or so by my estimation.
Old 06/18/2003, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Galaxea is a beast. I have one that is about 7 inches across. I got it a year ago from someone who was going to throw it out bc it was completely white (bleached) and about 50% of it looked completely brown and dead. No extention at all and it just looked like a brown skeleton. Within nine months it has filled in and now its beautiful. However.... I have seen sweepers at least eight inches long. My xenia decided to begin taking over more room and happened to get within about five inches and .... next day, meltdown of that stalk. It has also taken out a red mushroom. It is steadily getting bigger, and I will have to address the problem at some point. Are they easily fraggable?
Old 06/18/2003, 03:01 PM
Yellow Shirt MACNA Peon

Haley17 - yes, they are quite easy to frag. The skeleton is almost fragile. You may lose a few polyps around the cut, but you can just score the skeleton with a dremel and then split it with, say, a chisel. Just don't put too much crushing pressure on the skeleton. You'll end up with a couple of pieces.

HTH.

S !

"With great power comes great responsibility"
"PMAS VP has no powers"
Old 06/03/2004, 12:06 AM
Premium Member

Papano, can we get the benefit of your experience? How did the neighbors fare next to the galaxea?

Life is too short to learn everything from experience.
Old 06/07/2004, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

i sold everything when i moved but had no problem what so ever with it. i did'nt move anything for 6 mo. before i moved and no problem, it did'nt bother the clam which was basically right up against it. i had a pocillipora very close also and mushrooms a colt
xenia(which i now believe to be the scourge of marine aquaria). i had my tank set up with a scwd attatched to an outlet on the upper corners of the tank and watched the sweepers at night, ha ha, they could'nt touch anything if they wanted to, guess i got lucky with the placment. hope this helped and i will get another tank one day and put a huge galaxia in it.