Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2005, 12:43 PM
I yam what I yam

I just picked up 300+ G and it's crystal clear.

I did a little experiment while I was filling my containers. I took the inlet hose and sprayed the water into the container similar to what a remora skimmer does just to see if I could get anything out of the water as well as aireaite it well. Well, it foamed up really nice, but nothing came out. Within about 30 seconds of stoping the spray, ALL of the foam was gone. It was a nice white foam, nothing brown in it. Guess that just goes to show how CLEAN the NSW is. Well it's time to go do a water change. Later.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 12/11/2005, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Ray,
You should really get that water tank. Then I can just come over to your house and get my NSW!

Zach
Old 12/12/2005, 10:00 AM
I yam what I yam

Yea but I'd have to charge you for gas.

Hey that SPS I took from your tank is starting to color up some to a light green color. We'll have to see how well it does.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 12/13/2005, 01:39 AM
Registered Member

I started my tank 3 years ago and have never put anything but the UCSB NSW in it and it's great. Never had one problem. As a matter of fact, I still have the 2 bags of salt I bought when I set up my tank. I've never mixed salt. It sure is nice to never worry about the SG either except for topping off.
Old 01/06/2006, 12:10 PM
I yam what I yam

Hey everyone,
Here's a link to a article about the NSW facility at UCSB that I just found. It was in an old PM that I got from a RC member who works there and sent me the original directions that are in the begining of this thread and kind of started this whole ordeal.

http://www.dailynexus.com/news/2002/1994.html

Old 01/22/2006, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

Yay me! I moved from San Diego and though I lost access to NSW. I'm gonna head up tomorrow and take a peek! My wife works at UCSB, so it won't be any extra gas. Thanks for all those who contributed to this find!!

Eric T. Danielson
Old 01/22/2006, 10:33 PM
Network Samurai

Welcome! Check out www.masvc.org for your local club too!
Old 01/26/2006, 07:44 PM
Slave to Lower Life Forms

Good work Dave!!!
Old 01/28/2006, 03:04 PM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

anyone know how long the water sits in the storage tank (on ave) before it gets to your container?

Also, anyone tested the PO4 with a good kit? Last couple times I tested the catalina stuff it was higher than my tank. I did a little research and it seems the plankton in the water start to die after being in the dark for a couple of days, hence you dont want to let it sit around for too long.

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
-Lord Peter Wimsey, "Gaudy Night"
Old 01/30/2006, 10:30 AM
I yam what I yam

From what I remember reading in the link, I don't think it really sits for too long. I've kept it in storage tanks at my house for up to a month. Didn't tanke any PO4 readings on it though. It also didn't seem to bother anything in my tank either after sitting that long.

Old 01/30/2006, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

I have spoken with the staff at the upper research lab (where the spigot is) and these are non circulating systems, which means the water doesnt sit at all, as the tanks are over-flowed back to the ocean.

There is a holding tank, but it is constantly being fed and overflowed to the other tanks.

Also, this water is filtered to 20 microns.

The lower research lab (Sea Center) is now open on Saturdays and staffed with M-Bio students. 2 weeks ago - they had a octopus that has laid her eggs.

Stop trying to control everything and just let go.
-Tyler Durden
Old 01/30/2006, 01:12 PM
Tailspot Blenny

that's so crazy. i'm going back down to visit in a couple weeks, I'll prolly check it out.
Old 01/30/2006, 03:48 PM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim in santa barbara
...these are non circulating systems, which means the water doesnt sit at all, as the tanks are over-flowed back to the ocean.
you mean circulating systems?

Very good to know that, thanks for posting it. I thought that a marine bio dept wouldnt just let it sit there for weeks, they know better than that...

Old 02/27/2006, 10:39 AM
I yam what I yam

Well Our local club, MASVC, just did a tour of the REEF and the NSW system at UCSB. We had a great time and got a full blown tour of the NSW system by Scott, the Manager/Staff Research Associate II, Research Experience & Education Facility (REEF). After seeing how they take care of the water and talking to Scott, there is no reason NOT to use the water. He has been there for 5 years and just about all of the animals that he keeps there were there when he got there. He uses the same water in all of their systems that is available to us at the spigot. It runs 24/7 365 days a year. No worries about red tide, run off, or "other critters" in the water.

We actually got to look down into their holding tanks. One holds about 50,000 G of Raw SW and had a ton of stuff growing on the sides of the tank. The other tank holds about 150,000 G of filtered SW and there was nothing growing in it and it was crystal clear looking down into the tank.

I know I had my doubts before about collecting during red tide or after the rains but after talking to Scott this weekend, I have no problem using the water at any time I need it.

There are some pic's from our tour on or website and our forum here.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=786355

Old 03/09/2006, 03:56 PM
Premium Member

If any of you OC'rs are interested, they have Scripps (sp?) NSW at Window to the Sea for about $0.38 a gallon.
Pretty good stuff. All my corals and stuff really perk up after a water change.
Old 04/03/2006, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

since the water is filtered to 20 microns does that filter out any bacteria etc?

how long could i store this water? i can make an occasional trip to SB from LA. could i store the water for a few weeks.

too bad it is raining here again. i was going to head up tomorrow for a few hundred gallons. i guess i will hold off. how long would be good?

has anyone tested the water after the rain to see if it is affected?

Carl
Old 04/03/2006, 02:38 PM
Tailspot Blenny

i'm pretty sure rain doesn't affect it at all. If you read up a few posts you'll see not even red tide will give it any problems.
Old 04/03/2006, 04:02 PM
I yam what I yam

Yep, after seeing the setup they have and the fact that it is a flowthru system running 24/7/365, I have no reservations of collecting water at any time. I've stored water for up to a month before with no problems. I usually go and get between 200 - 300 Gallons when I go as well.

Old 04/03/2006, 04:19 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Yes, there it is! Next time I go down to SB (in a couple weeks) i'm going to bring back a hundred or so gallons =)
Old 04/03/2006, 06:17 PM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

Quote:
Originally posted by carloskoi
since the water is filtered to 20 microns does that filter out any bacteria etc?

how long could i store this water? i can make an occasional trip to SB from LA. could i store the water for a few weeks.

too bad it is raining here again. i was going to head up tomorrow for a few hundred gallons. i guess i will hold off. how long would be good?

has anyone tested the water after the rain to see if it is affected?

Carl
it might filter out some larger bacterium...

Old 04/13/2006, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

I've been holding off on the UCSB water lately, due to the rains, but mostly becuase I tested it for phosphats and got a reading of .25 ppm!!!! Has anyone else confirmed this? Before this wave of storms, it read 0 (or un-dectected). I'm womdering if it's becuase of the storms.. and everytime it's been a 3-5 days since it's rained, it rains again

Eric T. Danielson
Old 04/13/2006, 12:28 PM
I yam what I yam

I haven't tested for phosphates but have used it during or after the rains. I know that they use it 24/7 and I didn't see any hair alage in any of their tanks.

Old 04/14/2006, 12:23 AM
Premium Member

I only use UCSB water I have never had a problem. I haven't had any algae problems, IO salt is bad will never use it again, period. I have half a bucket if anybody wants it. Well, I do believe the UCSB salinity is off. I've been keeping it at .24.
Old 04/24/2006, 03:02 AM
Registered Member

A word of caution:

I've been using UCSB water for a year or so now with good results. However...

I picked up 2 rubbermaid bins-full on Thursday, with a plan to do a water change on Friday. On Friday, both bins had some growth in them that I've never seen before: brown circles on the plastic surfaces that were under water, ranging from the size of an eraser-head to the size of a nickel. I chucked the water, skipped the water change for this week, and am going to try again next week.
Old 04/24/2006, 09:13 AM
I yam what I yam

Interesting there Jim.

I just picked up some water on Sunday and did a water change as I needed one bad. Hadn't done one in several weesk due to family matters and a well needed vacation. So far everything looks Ok in the tanks. I did a 50 % on both tanks, 300 gallons worth. Guess I'll keep my eyes open to see if anything shows up.