Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/02/2006, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Angela's 270 tank thread

I am gonna post some pics of the monster and the planned layout. Any input and advise is welcome! 1st off this thing is huge! The extra 6" made it a lot taller than I visualized it to be. It stands 6'6" tall. I ordered a 50 long sump but GC's was out of stock the day of pickup so sent a 65 long instead which was nice of them.

This is still pulled away from the wall for easier access working on the plumbing.

It took 6 guys all they had to move it about 15 feet off the truck backed up almost in the door. Its 84 long x 24 wide x 31 tall and VERY heavy!

this is the holes in the bottom. I wanted it all to be plumbed from underneat so the tank can hug the wall real tight.

This is the layout and sizes of the closed loop if you can read it... 1.5" drain in the center back wall and 8 1"returns. 4 in front to push water up over the rocks angled to the overflows and 4 in the back to push water to the front of the tank. A Oceansmotion 4 way will give the alternating flow. The back 4 ports will push opposite the front 4 to make a rolling of the water kinda in a circular pattern to keep all deitrus flowing up to the overflows. I am not looking for caotic random flow, more of a keep the tank clean flow pattern. I am stearing away from SPS and going more LPS/softies anyways.

I caulked all the joints in the stand and am going to paint with a heavy duty paint to try and somewhat contain any spills. More to come as it progresses.

Don't judge me because I can't spell. I use my brain space for more important things, like thinking of a fancy user name
Old 08/02/2006, 03:59 PM
VENI VITI VICI!!!

SWEEEEET!!! I LOVE IT!!! i live in Nashville, youre right out the back door. can i come see it? JKA, really nice, i wished my pre-numptual had a reef clause! santa claus (me) but no reef clause. REEF-ON!!!
Old 08/02/2006, 04:04 PM
Keeping It Real

Made on 7/13 eh??? That means you can add water in a week or so... I bet its killing you... Do you have most of the plumbing and equipment already??? Looks like a sweet setup... Look forward to seeing it in action...

Its not a hobby... Its a way of life...
Old 08/02/2006, 04:18 PM
_

wow that thing looks beautiful on that stand! The extra height adds alot to the dramatic look of it. I assume then all the overflow holes lined up fine then?
Old 08/02/2006, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Yea you have to wait 4 weeks for a 31 tall to add water. My 5 year old starts kindergarten this month about the time I will be getting geared up with the swap over. That will help only having 2 under foot instead of three I have all my union joints and the bulkheads from GC's ( they are real heavy duty nice! ) and am planning on pluming it and just closing off the 5 main branches going from the OM till I can afford to get it!! I dropped almost $150 on just plumbing alone not including the OM.... So my honey it won't cost much to upgrade was a understatement.

I am planning 2 175 watt MH's and 2 250 watt MH's alternating them. All 10K for the depth penetration. The top has 4 sections designed to have each buld unobstructed. I am also planning 4 VHO's for actinic suplimentation.

I have 150 lbs of rock and picking up another 150 lbs at the swap so hopefully it will be enouph.

All the litle bits and peices are really adding up. I need to sell a ton of fraggs Saturday at the swap! Everyone come buy my fraggs!!

Don't judge me because I can't spell. I use my brain space for more important things, like thinking of a fancy user name
Old 08/02/2006, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

Titan, we haven't drilled them yet. 2 guys had to leave by 3 and the holes were not done so we are gonna have to pull it off to drill them in the top and put it back on again. Poor planning on my part .

Old 08/02/2006, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

Be sure to photo-document the progress. That's a lot of holes. Can't wait to see the finished goods.
Old 08/02/2006, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

That stand and canopy is really nice. Angela, are you planning on selling your 80 bow or keeping it?

Steve
Old 08/02/2006, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

who made the stand and canopy?
Old 08/02/2006, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

Very nice, You and your family will enjoy this for many years to come......
Old 08/02/2006, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

That is beautiful! i am sooo jeleous! enjoy it and good luck! You definately have a dream tank!
Old 08/02/2006, 10:51 PM
Gun runner

Angela,
It looks awsome! I wish I would have gone 30+ on height. I want a 1000gal plus now. Good luck putting it together. It is a blast. Oh, and as far as what you will spend, DON'T KEEP TRACK. I stopped keeping track at 15k.
Steve
Old 08/02/2006, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

awesome !!!!!!!!!!! You need to put a sign in your yeard saying thompson station aquarium admission 2$ lol
Old 08/02/2006, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the nice comments guys. My dad made the stand/canopy but only had the front of the tanks support screwed onto the cabinet. A big no no for a stands so I had to go in and beef up the support system but he had never built a stand or understood the weight it will be holding.

I traded the 80 for this tank in a round about way so its already sold and paid for. They are just paitently waiting on me to get my stuff out.

I planned on this being my last tank ( my hubby hopes! ) so I am glad I ordered the extra tall now that its up. The viewing area is real open and nice. I am sure it will give many years of service. Cory is pretty excited about getting it going and my kids just want to get in it for the "kids in the tank shot"

I do have a ton of holes but I will never have to worry about flow issues! In the end I think it will be well worth the extra $$ to have them all installed. Especially to not have to clean power heads ever again!

Old 08/02/2006, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Is the stand and hood from GC as well? I really like the color.

Looks good, be sure to keep us updated.
Old 08/02/2006, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Amen to not keeping track. We would question our sanity if we all knew how much cash was invested in our little hobby!

Stand and canopy are home made out of oak with red mahogony stain and satin finish.

The extra tall tank will be a real bear to ever have to get in but its wow wee to look at. Its like you are eye level and not having to bend over to peek in at them. I plan on putting everything in its place and leaving it alone in this tank to grow. The top is just way to heavy and awkwerd ( sp?) to take off to tinker with the corals the way I do now.I may set up a zoa dominent tank to be able to tinker with fraggs to keep my hands wet. I have a problem leaving things alone.

Old 08/02/2006, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

Angela, did you stain a 4 foot ladder to match your new set up?
Old 08/03/2006, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

Old 08/03/2006, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Man your dad did a great job on that stand and hood! Tank is huge!!! I love it. Makes my 180 seem average in size.
Old 08/03/2006, 11:13 AM
Premium Member

WOW! Your dad did that stand and canopy? That is very nice!!
Old 08/03/2006, 11:32 AM
Catch and release

It looks great Angela

Looking forward to following the progress.

Chris
Old 08/03/2006, 01:05 PM
Beer King

Awesome Awesome Awesome. Did I say Awesome!
Old 08/03/2006, 02:36 PM
How many fish can I kill?

Are you going to paint the back? Are you going to cover the overflows?

Nano: 2 Black Ocellaris Clowns
Old 08/03/2006, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

You're just gonna have to buy your kids scuba suits and let them do the rearranging of corals for you....

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Short
Amen to not keeping track. We would question our sanity if we all knew how much cash was invested in our little hobby!

Stand and canopy are home made out of oak with red mahogony stain and satin finish.

The extra tall tank will be a real bear to ever have to get in but its wow wee to look at. Its like you are eye level and not having to bend over to peek in at them. I plan on putting everything in its place and leaving it alone in this tank to grow. The top is just way to heavy and awkwerd ( sp?) to take off to tinker with the corals the way I do now.I may set up a zoa dominent tank to be able to tinker with fraggs to keep my hands wet. I have a problem leaving things alone.

Last edited by SRT80; 08/03/2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08/03/2006, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

yes paint and yes have the overflow covers. Thats funny srt 80!