Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/25/2006, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

Ouch! Hope all turns out OK.
Old 08/26/2006, 02:46 AM
Registered Member

OK very sad news now. I have my sump/overflows going. They still need a little tweeking as they are "flushing" a little and need more air I think. But with the increased flow and some makeshift lights going I noticed some of my favorite corals are dying. The tissue is just slouphing off my ORA green serisomethings and my hydrophra thingy. My biggest milli is not looking so hot and my huge green cap is loosing tissue as well. It looks like most of my favorite things are gonners!
I don't know what would have affected them all so adversly. They were in a huge rubbermaid with flow from a power head since Wed. and was put in the big tank late Thursday night. The PH dipped a little low in the rubbermaid is the only param out of whack but the tank is setting on 8 right now.
I wonder if a temp difference could cause such wide spread losses? The rubbermaid holding them was conciderably warmer with a small heater than the tank since my heaters in the sump were not being used yet. And for some reason all my hairy mushrooms which I have litterally chopped into 4 and 5's from one shroom at a time are all mealting really nasty. They are all but bullet proof I thought. I am afraid they are fouling the water so I added a big bag of carbon.
I guess its just wait and see what makes it now. I should have waited till the next day to add corals and let the temps be better matched but I got in a hurry and we all know only bad things happen fast in this hobby .

Don't judge me because I can't spell. I use my brain space for more important things, like thinking of a fancy user name

Last edited by Angela Short; 08/26/2006 at 03:06 AM.
Old 08/26/2006, 02:49 AM
Premium Member

Hate to hear that Angela. I have lost things to temp differences and not acclimating long enough when changing from one of my non chilled tanks to the main display. Let me know what you lose and if I have it, you will too.
Old 08/26/2006, 03:11 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Gary! You need to go to bed! As do I. I just can't do things during the day with the 3 kidds under foot so I just went ahead and started dumping it all in last night late. Late at night is the only time I can be productive.
Well, I hear the baby up so I guess my bed time will just have to wait! She thinks its play time around 3-4 the last few nights .

Don't judge me because I can't spell. I use my brain space for more important things, like thinking of a fancy user name
Old 08/26/2006, 10:32 AM
Premium Member

That's cause momma is playing at 3-4 each night. I was up late last night. My decrepit old bag of bones is kicking me now...
Old 08/26/2006, 10:36 PM
Catch and release

Let me know when you will be out this way Angela. We can do a few frags for a haircut sort of thing
Chris
Old 08/26/2006, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

I will definetly have to take you up on that now!
Lights are running and pics to come. But yet again more problems My 250 MH's (homemade job from east TN Charles) are firing and burning but they blow the power strip within 3-4 mins... Totally fried them. I tried another power strip thinking all my lights were overloading the one strip so I just plugged the 2 250's in and within the same 3-4 in time frame they just poof killed the new strip. The light on the strip that says "if this is on the strip is unusable, dead, fried" light was flicked on both of them and they will not re-set. Thats a bummer they were brand new. I hope he will log on to check PMs and help me trouble shoot the problem. Anyone with ballast experience have a clue?

Old 08/26/2006, 11:08 PM
Catch and release

You might want to PM John(foggy54).
Old 08/27/2006, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

Here are the updated pics!

The daunting task of putting all that rock and sand in. I started this at about 11:00 PM last monday night.... You can see my closed loop comming from the bottom in the tank. Only problem is my tank hugges the wall so tight now (which I wanted) I can hardly fish the light cords under the tank from the top!

Afew pics of me working on the rockscape the next night. I hated the look of the rim my dad designed on the tank stand but am gratefull now! This was a life saver to use as a walking ledge back and forth.

My left front closed loop pipe. The front pipes were easy to hide but the back ones still need some work.

And a pic of one of the center back returns, YES right below the DEAD acro. Man when they go they go fast

Old 08/27/2006, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

and finnally the finished (somewhat) product...

This is the 80 the night before I cut it all out. I had already taken a lot of things downstairs to a holding tank weeks before so it was even FULLER if you can belive it! See why I needed a bigger tank . I will miss the bowfront look for sure.

Old 08/27/2006, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

And just a pic of a real cool brain I got from greystreet ( sorry Gary you were to slow ) When Casy says his pics do not do justice he is not kidding! This is right after I put him in tonight ( after temp and water aclimating him!! )

And now more of the casulties I am thinking it may have been the sudden temp change or just the fact I didn't aclimate very well at all but I had "cut and dumped all the time in the past . But I always did at least temp acclimate the corals so all I can figure is the temp differance being to much of a shock. Who knows because all my mushrooms were mealting in the holding tub before the move .

Cap recession, is it a gonner? And 2 heads of my orange candycane in the upper corner of the pic died.

Tissue slowley going from base up, should I cut the good off?

My green milli that is yellow now but still extending polyps a dab... And I passed on the free frag of this at the critter cause I "HAD" one. Had was right It may color back up though..

And a milli fell on a bubble overnight and seems to have killed the bubble and milli both in sections. And both my ORA green serithings are all but the tiniest tips of flesh dead as well as all my big hairy mushrooms which are fouling the water pretty bad.

All in all I am pretty dissapointed I lost stuff but all that I lost came from fellow MTRC members and can be replaced hopefully.

Last edited by Angela Short; 08/27/2006 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08/27/2006, 01:31 AM
Reefer

sorry to hear about the trouble with some of your corals. thats what sucks about switching over tanks or moving. but the tank is looking great. you did a great job on hiding the returns. its looking beautiful. good luck and dont fall in lol
Old 08/27/2006, 08:25 AM
Premium Member

I think that I saw you at the Critter on Friday. I thought you looked familiar.
Old 08/27/2006, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

So you got the big Lobo, huh... I wouldn't really have room for it, anyway, unless it went into the 125. The most recently set up tank is the fullest. Go figure. I liked that one because reewik and I got ours around the same time from EBay several years ago. Mine didn't make it through the crash I had from the bad RO unit last year. His is huge. Mine was only ever about a 1/4 that size...

Looks great Angela. How long did the tank run with water in it before adding things? I cycled the water in the 120 (no sand or rock ) for about two weeks before I finally got over the lazy bug and put some sand in it. I wonder if that might have made a difference. A week after adding the sand (and about three days after adding rock), all corals were somewhat temp acclimated (floated in a tupperware container, but not long enough for a true temp acclimation) and dropped in. No losses and actually everything looks better than it did, but I didn't move any sps into this tank (and we know they can be alot touchier than LPS and zoas). Keep us posted on the mille. I got a frag at the Critter since there were so many, but I've got a mini colony going too (it is more yellow than green, too).
Old 08/27/2006, 10:06 AM
Catch and release

The tank is looking great Angela

Sorry about your losses.....I agree that the temp change was probably a big thing.

The cap and mille could very well make a comeback....the pocci(?) looks like a goner to me but fragging or covering the receeding edge with superglue could help.

Chris
Old 08/27/2006, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the compliments! The poccilipora I may just frag up as it would be real hard to super glue all the branches.
The salt mixed in a bare tank 4-5 days or so. Everything looks fine except the stony SPS stuff and a few shrooms. Funny how it was hit or miss, so far the MP blue, blue tip acro and green slimmer are in perfect shape. Time will tell what all will survive I guess. I have tons of zoas and a few nice bigger peices of coral in the holding tanks I am holding out on putting in for obviouse reasons.

Old 08/27/2006, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

The tank looks great. If you ever wanna get rid of that 80 let me know. lol. I love your brain. Ours looks much different than yours, even more so that now more of it is dying. I moved it this morning to lower light and lower flow and when i moved it pieces of it just floated off of it into the water. I think that with 2 peppermint shrimp it is just a matter of time until I have a skeleton left of it. Sorry about the small hi-jack. Waiting to see this tank in a few months or a year or so when everything is growing in and new is added to it. Great tank once again.
Andy

"Do not medle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup"
Old 08/27/2006, 07:00 PM
_

Awsome Angela!! You got that thing up alot faster than I thought you would. It always takes me soooo long to get things done. I just finished up the 120 and I am adding water now. The 240 is next on the list. One night this week after I get off work I would like to swing by on the way home. Pm/Call me when is good for you.
Old 08/27/2006, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

Awesome.... I love it when females get into my kinda hobbys.... awesome you did a great job... I wish my girlfriend would getinto reefkeeping.... Good luck with your tank... looks great...
Old 08/27/2006, 07:25 PM
_

Quote:
Originally posted by servicky
Awesome.... I love it when females get into my kinda hobbys.... awesome you did a great job... I wish my girlfriend would getinto reefkeeping.... Good luck with your tank... looks great...
Yeah its great seeing a female in this hobby. I don't think Angela's husband thinks its so great though I need to get my wife to spend more time with Angela. The wife has gotten involved though but not near the crazy obession I or Angela seems to have.
Old 09/02/2006, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

Angela do you know who that brain came from?.... Looking really good...

AvianArt.net
Old 09/02/2006, 01:46 PM
Brains are yummy!!

Looks great Angela!!!!! Maybe we can all have a pool party in it when it's all completed!
Old 09/02/2006, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

It came from greystreet. Yes it was yours

Old 09/02/2006, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

I would like to have everyone over for a meeting when it fills in a little and all my tiny zoa colonies fill in he rockscape as planned. Anyone is welcome anytime though. I love company so no reef meeting is ever needed to stop by. Just knock on the door, I like the drop in company!! Just PM me for my # if anyone is ever down Spring Hill way and wants to see the death of me... I mean my tank.

Old 10/02/2006, 01:52 PM
Premium Member

Angela, any updates?