Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

Question advice for skimmerless setup

I posted this question in another thread and it was suggested that I start a new thread. I'm currently building a 500 gallon plywood and fiberglass in-wall tank. I made a huge archimedes screw to provide water flow without centrifugal pumps. I plan to route the pump output through a "Carlson" device to provide wave action when I get to that point in the project. I first read Adey's book back around 1995 and have wanted to put that system to a test ever since. I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully been operating a tank with shearless pumps and algae scrubbing to preserve plankton populations and allow for natural reproduction of some of the tank inhabitants. I have been out of the hobby for a while and would like to learn from the experiences of those who have already been working the bugs out of this approach.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Do you have any diagrams of the pumps you're using? sounds interesting.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:02 PM
U.S.M.A.S.

not sure about the pump but I would like to hear more about the tank as I am getting ready to make a wood tank.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

I'll post some pictures of the tank and pump tomorrow. It isn't anything complicated and it takes up a large amount of space. I will be able to screen the equipment from view behind a wall. I just finished the resin on the tank. I'm going to add a couple coats of epoxy paint to protect from UV before I install the glass.

How are your water parameters with no skimming Marinelife? Could you tell me what your refugium/tank volume ratio is and what type of algae are you using for nutrient export?
Old 01/08/2008, 09:43 PM
U.S.M.A.S.

Cheato Algae, 2 water changes a month, 80 gallons each on a 375gallon tank. Refugium is only a 55gallon half full.

What kind of resin and epoxy did you use?
Old 01/08/2008, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=8

gives you the answers you want.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

forgot this thread too
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...+turf+scrubber