Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/19/2007, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

what do you feed your algae blenny?

i just got one, and he isnt eating pellots and rarely comes out when i feed frozen mysis. will they eat sheet algae?

he's so skinny i'm worried he's gonna die
Old 06/19/2007, 08:49 PM
reef girl

mine eats dried seaweed on a clip or prime reef flakes

This hobby isn't just for the boys..

Its all fun and games until someone gets salt water in their eyes!
Old 06/19/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Hi mine would only eat hair algae at first, but after the algae was gone he also became very very skinny! Now he beats my clown to the top I feed Ocean Nutrition ,Brine Shrimp Plus-- flakes, cyclopeze and my hand My blenny still to this day will not take sheet algae. Hope this helps!
Old 06/19/2007, 09:03 PM
Huge Member

I use a clip with Julian Sprung Sea Veggies (green) to feed my Starry Blenny (super close to a lawnmower) and he got fat really fast with that. It also eats mysis, F1 frozen and F2 Frozen.

I have an idea though.

Start soaking your Mysis with Garlic (try it with your Veggies too). The Blenny should become accustomed to eating with the garlic and then eat almost anything that has garlic in it too.

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 06/19/2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

mine eats everything now........at first he wouldn't. Than I bought some Tetra Cyclop-eeze Micro Crabs and once they were in the water he was on that hunt. He must have smelled them or something. After about a week of feeding my fish these he just started eating other foods on his own. Here is a link to the Micro Crabs

http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetr...d=1276&cid=884
Old 06/20/2007, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

thanks guys, just saw him again tonight when he was asleep and there isnt much left to him, i hope i can get him to eat tomrrow, i think ill try some sheets of seaweed to see if i can fatten him up with that because i know my clowns wont touch that.
Old 06/20/2007, 08:25 AM
Genuine reef addict

No luck with mine so far in getting him to eat algae sheet. He wouldn't even eat hair algae when I had some. Mine seems to only eat the algae that grows on the glass, or patches of new algae that appear on the rock. He at times will work on my sand too. Still trying to get mine to eat something else so he doesn't eventually starve. I might try nori or romaine lettuce next - the lettuce would be greener than ther algae sheet I have.
Old 06/20/2007, 08:32 AM
Team RC Member

Try spirulina---Formula Two cubes, frozen.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 06/20/2007, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

Mine never eats sheet algae, nor will he eat long hair algae only new patches of algea or whatever grows on the glass. What he really really loves is Nutrafin flakes. He goes crazy or it and will even fight my big maroon clown for it and is nice and plump thanks to it
Old 06/20/2007, 08:58 AM
Genuine reef addict

Pandomime - does yours swim up to the surface to get the flakes, does he grab them sinking, or do they have to settle on the bottom?
Old 06/20/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member.

Mine is like a garbage can. He eats everything. Flake, brine, mysis, tang poop. Whatever hits the bottom.