Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 05:28 PM
Genuine reef addict

reefsr4me - I'm home & finally got to see the Ebay RO/DI unit - it looks pretty good (bid ended - maybe you bought it?). Good price, but the shipping seemed high.

NaCl+H2O Fish - I'm not sure who I got the TDS meter from on Ebay - my records don't go back that far I guess. I recently got a new pH meter on Ebay too - Hanna Model HI98103 - about $28 including the shipping. I didn't trust the old one I got from work and repaired, and the colorimetric pH test kits gave me a different pH depending on what light I looked at it under. pH meters at the online lfs are typically about 3x as much just for the same simple push button reading type. By the way - I got my 6 g Dekalit jug today - I guess the 2.5 g are on backorder. I also got the shoulder length gloves in the mail - I'm wondering how useful they'll be - the hand section looks like King Kong could fit his hand in! But, I guess they'll be OK for a quick dip in the tank to adjust a small rock or frag on the bottom. That's all I really wanted them for anyway - I don't own any horses.

Patio - I had, and still have, the Foxface. it's a recent addition & only about 3 inches at this time.

Donna - I'm semi-impressed with the Nano Reef Handbook - well worth the money and the read, but I see some things that could have used some better proofreading, and one ot two recommendations in there so far that I don't really agree with, based on knowledge from many other sources. On the other hand, it addresses some things about small tanks that haven't been covered in other books that are too general. I haven't finished it yet, but overall I like it. Let us know when the new corals arrive. Sorry the fossil mammoth ivory chair didn't come with a cushion! Maybe it will come up for a rebid with a cushion - if I see that I'll let you know On the power outages, I still have done nothing. For a short one a UPS unit would help power a heater & pump a few hours, but for a long outage a generator would be needed. I'm not sure I could convince the wife I need a generator for the tank, rather than our own use!
Old 01/04/2008, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys,
Sorry for the long absence. I have been in Florida and have not done tank stuff (besides top off and feeding) for the last couple weeks and I have allot to do I havent even got caught up on the thred, "whats the latest goings"?
Old 01/04/2008, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Hi mbdave. Welcome back, ' missed you! You have some reading to do here!!
All is well in your tank?
Donna
Old 01/04/2008, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Wow too much to read!! Scroll algae, have it in my tank also In the Pilippines theres bunches of that stuff am bad reefs (reefs that are basically victems of severe run off) scrol is all over those areas. SALT!! I use instant ocean faithfully!! All I ever do is keep a calcium check on my tank after a water change I.O calcium is as little low. Algae, Watch your feeding, make sure something did'nt die you missed, herbavours in numbers I use 1 snail and crab a gallon @ first then let attrition (death) lower thier numbers in time. My tanks are just gorgeous the RSM has really matured lots of stuff growing well. My 40 breeder looks better but not special it was put up for me to have something to experiment with.

Chow,
Dave

PS Anyone in the Bay area??
Old 01/04/2008, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

donna53w-

I'm not quite sure why you are so concerned about power outages in Medicine Hat, Alberta... unless you have outages due to ice or heavy snow storms!? Anyway, we have experienced several hurricanes recently. Thankfully none in the last two years! Katrina caused a 4 day outage and later that same year Wilma hit us harder causing a 6 day outage... fortunately the weather behind was cool and comfortable.

The only thing I know to do is to purchase an emergency gas or diesel generator... noisy and you have to have fuel on hand! A far more expensive solution is a 'whole house' generator powered with Propane or Natural Gas.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

well my canary blenny didnt make it he died last night for some reason. so i took it back to the lfs and got my money back and bought 2 cleaner shrimp.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Hello to every one. Two weeks ago I stumbled upon rc, and this post and have been reading it from start to finish since that time, and I must say what a informative post it has been. I have been a rsm owner since july '07, and absolute love the setup even with its short list of short comings. I must say first that the mods to the skimmer were fantabulous, both mods increased my skimate output by ten fold, outstanding. I want to catch up with everything that is going on with certain mods, like the cpr overflow, Idont think the pix do it justice, so I will study them,for I want to add a refugium to my setup.

To the individuals who have posted pix of there setups, they are absolutley beutiful, and I am jealous, I am always adding livestock to the tank, but I err to the side of ignorance due to the cost of certain livestocks. Any way I hope to post pix in the future of my meager setup, and hopefully contribute.

I plan contacting red sea to reaffirm to them that yous guys skimmer mods really work. I could go on, yada yada yada

post ya soon
randy
Old 01/04/2008, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

welcome and glad the skimmer mods worked out for ya lets see some pics of your tank! what mods did u do?
Old 01/04/2008, 09:53 PM
Genuine reef addict

mbdave - in Florida? Did you miss a turn during your relocation to California? Just kidding - good to see you find time to stop in.

NaCl+H2O Fish - I remember some people that I work being without power for 3 weeks or more when Hurricane Hugo came this far inland and literally blew the city apart. I was lucky & had power after 2 days. Generators were sold out immediately, and you were lucky for a long time to even find a gas station that had power to its pumps. I really should plan ahead, especially now with ice storm season here. But I've been known to be a procrastinator!

stephen - so sorry to hear about the canary blenny Was there any sign of ich? Same lfs that had the sick ORA clowns?

doubleduece - Welcome to our RSM Club! I guess it would take about 2 weeks to read through this thing from the beginning! Which of the zillion mods did you do to your skimmer that worked well for you? good to hear they worked - it's a payoff for reading this thread! Post a couple tank pics if you're able to.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

I cut 1/4" off the bottom,and driiled the catch cup to insert the air valve tube. If I missed some mods during my speed reading for the skimmer please do tell, before I made those two mods the catch cup would fill up maybe a 1/4" in a week. Its has been two days since the mod and already the catch cup has filled to 1/4".

Gotta get a better camera.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

I cut 1/4" off the bottom,and driiled the catch cup to insert the air valve tube. If I missed some mods during my speed reading for the skimmer please do tell, before I made those two mods the catch cup would fill up maybe a 1/4" in a week. Its has been two days since the mod and already the catch cup has filled to 1/4".

Old 01/05/2008, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

Welcome!

doubledeuce

Pleased to have you become a new member of the RSM Owners Club!

As donna53w will tell you when she discovers your a new member to the thread... "Welcome to the best place you can be!"

Unhappily my RSM is still in it's box awaiting my RO/DI..

I will follow your tank with interest.

Regards,
Kent
Old 01/05/2008, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

Back up Power!

Reefmack -

After the double hit from Katrina and then Wilma... The state mandated a timetable for gas stations to install generators.

Now... Let's think about this. If I owned a gas station... I wouldn't want to be out of business for days! Duh!

Our major grocery chain PUBLIX has already installed these HUGE CAT diesel powered generators behind their stores. Just avoiding the lost inventory in frozen and refrigerated foods would probably pay for them fairly quickly! There is I'm sure also an insurance savings. Not to mention the loss in business after a storm.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:24 AM
Premium Member

You have the mesh mod. Start here
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&pagenumber=29

then go here

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...25&pagenumber=3

Marty

Quote:
Originally posted by doubleduece

Old 01/05/2008, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

Re: Welcome!

Quote:
Originally posted by NaCl+H2O Fish
doubledeuce

Pleased to have you become a new member of the RSM Owners Club!

As donna53w will tell you when she discovers your a new member to the thread... "Welcome to the best place you can be!"

Unhappily my RSM is still in it's box awaiting my RO/DI..

I will follow your tank with interest.

Regards,
Kent
Welcome doubledeuce! You have made more mods than I have & you just arrived!!

Kent We don't get many power outages here but every once in a long while, a good thunder storm can knock it out. We don't get hurricanes, but have been put on 'tornado watch' a few times in the summer. Thank heavens we've never been hit by one. We followed Katrina and the horrible aftermath on TV. My heart goes out to the many, many folks who are still dealing with the nightmare.

I had to shop tonight ... bought an orange Brain Coral & a small Crocea clam.

Brain coral:
[IMG][/IMG]

Crocea Clam:
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01/05/2008, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

donna53w -

My simple response would Bravo!

You did well.... beautiful!
Old 01/05/2008, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Kent (NaCl+H2O Fish)! I'm really happy with my new additions & I sure want them to be happy in their new home, too!
Old 01/05/2008, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

donna- looks real good i really like that brain
Old 01/05/2008, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

reefmack- no its wasn't the same lfs and there were no sgns of ich. no one know's why it died, but my cleaner shrimp are much more interesting to watch than the canary blenny i gotta tell u that lol.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:38 AM
Genuine reef addict

doubleduece - OK on which two mods you made. I know I'm missing a lot of mods that have been tried, but here's a list of some that I've managed to find & save by emailing the links to myself. Not all are mods - some may be add-ons & replacements:

air valve replacement:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=8

Skimmer cup air hose mod:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5#post11279065

nappi82's HOB fuge:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&pagenumber=37

lpsluver's fuge:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=3

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=8

pic of Josh's Tunze 9002 skimmer in back (others have installed this):

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=6

mbdave's circ pump mod:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&pagenumber=20

RSM gate mod (originally found on ReefsUK forum):

http://www.reefsuk.org/forum/viewtop...+max&start=135

The list is by no means complete.

''''''''''''''
Marty - thanks for posting the mesh mod link! I'm not sure where the 2nd link was supposed to direct us - it went to an archive page and I got lost after that LOL.

''''''''''''''''''''
Donna - nice brain & clam. I don't recall seeing a brain that color before!

'''''''''''''''''''''
NaCl+H2O Fish - sounds like your area is hurricane prepared! Not so here, but when Hugo came through here (1989?) that was a once in a hundred years situation (I hope). Off topic, but in that case, with an unbelievable wind roar and the sound of trees cracking in half at 4am, and the following days without power, my family actually became a family again - huddled around a battery radio, candles for lights, and wondering when the downed trees would be removed from the streets so we could get out again. Then the power came on after couple days, and the son went up to his stereo, the TV and my wife's soaps came on, etc. - back to normal. It was nice while it lasted!

''''''''''''''''''
stephensturman - at least that was good news that the blenny had no signs of ich. Yep - the cleaner shrimp are indeed fun to watch!
Old 01/05/2008, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stephensturman
reefmack- no its wasn't the same lfs and there were no sgns of ich. no one know's why it died, but my cleaner shrimp are much more interesting to watch than the canary blenny i gotta tell u that lol.
Ruh-oh... Which store? I was going to go out to Pets Inc today and see if they had any ORA fish.

donna53w -- Those look very nice, best of luck!
Old 01/05/2008, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

pets inc doesn't have a very good selection of fish but they do have 2 of your naked percs there and they look great! i got my fish at pets inc but the fish dying had nothing to do with the store i think he was just to stressed!
Old 01/05/2008, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

Reefmack, I thought my second link was copied from the first link. LOL I don't know what happened. But I will leave the links to you. Your much better organized.
By the way how did you put your 24" Orbit on a 20" tank

Marty
Old 01/05/2008, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by martinphillip03
Reefmack, I thought my second link was copied from the first link. LOL I don't know what happened. But I will leave the links to you. Your much better organized.
By the way how did you put your 24" Orbit on a 20" tank

Marty
Hi Marty,
hope you don't mind if I jump in here as I have the Outer Orbit also.
The RSM has 24" inch in length. The hood comes with 4 foot which are adjustable (there is a rail in there where you can slide the foot more to the inside or outside).
The hood fits perfectly without any mods or extra adjustments.

Hope you understood my bad English here?

Michael
MAXreefer
Old 01/05/2008, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stephensturman
pets inc doesn't have a very good selection of fish but they do have 2 of your naked percs there and they look great! i got my fish at pets inc but the fish dying had nothing to do with the store i think he was just to stressed!
Woohoo I called down to Pets Inc and they have 3-4 Naked Clowns they said. So I am going to be heading down that direction in an hour or two. Of course now I am going to have a big store credit at AZSeabottom but im sure I can always find something to spend money on there that isn't alive, grr dead or almost dead