Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

Y-DesygnGuy, well you have two 3 choices.
1) Get a new ballast and bulb
2) Get a new ballast and bulb, but turn it into a 150 watt HQI
3) Sell it. Get an Orbit 150 hatt HQI T5HO

Marty
Old 01/08/2008, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Has anyone tried the skimmer mod where you take a tube and shove it on the end of the skimmer tube. Hodge , I believe, suggested it.

Marty
Old 01/08/2008, 04:46 PM
Cruisin In the bad Merc

I have a question a friend of mine purchased one of these and the pumps that come with it are crap does anyone know of an upgrade to replace them with anything better?
Old 01/08/2008, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

I think I've talked myself out of the flame angel already. I have a nice friendly set up right now and would hate to disrupt it. I've been too cautious which my fish selection to gamble at this point.

As far as the corals go, I think I'll pick out the healthy ones only and stay away from anything suspect. This might be the chance to get a quarantine tank while I'm in the city!!
Old 01/08/2008, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Keeping it!

OK I have come to the conclusion I am keeping it! If nothing else in a month or so when I set up a frag tank I will use it on that. I just ordered a new ARO Ballast and a Phoenix 14k bulb from HelloLights and I will have it in 2 days. In the mean time I am going to come up with some kind of solution for covering the open look some. I was thinking a dark sun screen with a weight at the bottom of it to keep it anchored at the base of the lights. I have it in my head I will have to come up with away to get it out of my head. I think a dark sun screen would be great for blocking some of the light creeping out and still allow air to flow in and out as well as being black in color.

Sorry Stephen I guess you will have to pick up one yourself. But at least we can both help each other with the fixture. You don't have to buy that fixture off ebay they have a website you can buy it from as well.

Thanks everyone for your input, totally appreciate it!
Old 01/08/2008, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

Hodge, Any new pics of the tank?

Marty
Old 01/08/2008, 05:38 PM
Cruisin In the bad Merc

everybody still uses those crappy pumps?
Old 01/08/2008, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Hodge -

Hope you didn't take offense to my prior post... referencing your noble profession and the rescue of the corals... just my, maybe poor attempt at humor.

With 29 gallons to work with, I too am intending to be very cautious with the life that I select to become a part of my RSM! Mistakes in this endeavor are notoriously expensive!!! I want to enjoy my new RSM and not create a new source of anxiety in my life!

My month ahead planning is currently trying to decide on the best CUC selections to add in a few weeks.

I am considering:
10 - Cerith Snails, a single Queen Conch and Fighting Conch (they have different jobs).
Maybe 10 - blue legged hermits and a brittle starfish to begin with.

Any thoughts or favorites you have?

Regards,
Kent

Y-DesygnGuy - When I suggested previously some sort of a "light shroud" for your new lighting..... I was thinking, without being able to look at the setup in person, about the possibility of using cut strips of thin opaque black plastic or dark smoked plexi to block the light leakage.

Last edited by NaCl+H2O Fish; 01/08/2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by russ49merc
everybody still uses those crappy pumps?
If you are referring to the 2 powerheads that come with the tank, yeah I am & I gotta say I have not had a problem with them, other than it is a PITA to access them without pulling them off entirely... Having said that, I will have different pumps to you being on 240V over here.

I know a lot of others have added a separate P/H on the RHS to up circulation, but for my purposes I did not need this.

James
Old 01/08/2008, 05:53 PM
Cruisin In the bad Merc

yeah but the down tube on them are sooo short when you turn both on they start sucking air and the little cover on them just fall right off
Old 01/08/2008, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

russ49merc - I agree they do come off a bit too easily, but in reality once they are in place, there should not be anything to knock them off/move them. One of the mods suggested here many (many) pages ago that I believe a couple of people here have used successfully is to add another piece of tube to the existing inlet & extend it down further to avoid this problem.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:06 PM
Cruisin In the bad Merc

yeah i tried that but i guess i will just keep trying
Old 01/08/2008, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

russ49merc I believe someone had a mod for that problem, god knows where it is though in this huge thread. I am sure someone has it saved and can chime in.

Off topic with you... I did a fun photo shoot over the summer for the Speed Channel. One of the guys brought a Merc to it. I am sorry for not remembering all the specs on it, but it was super charged and sweet! following this link and you can see a few pics of it along with a Porsche and models. http://www.y-desygn.com/turbotvphotoshoot.html
*edit* the point of the photo shoot was to show a behind the scenes type look for a tv pilot some friends of mine were doing. Hence the pictures not being perfect they were never intended to be. I was being filmed while I directed the models in a "photo shoot" I just couldn't resist actually taking pictures!

NaCl+H2O Fish Yep yep I am thinking along the same lines myself. I will be playing around with lots of different things this week. If my darn clients would leave me alone I could spend a little more time on the tanks!

I have to give Hellolights a big THANK YOU! I placed my order at 1:52pm Arizona time the order has been shipped already! Amazing!

Last edited by Y-DesygnGuy; 01/08/2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:16 PM
Cruisin In the bad Merc

there has to be somone who knows what pumps will fit in there it seems like a maxijet will work in there
Old 01/08/2008, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
there has to be somone who knows what pumps will fit in there it seems like a maxijet will work in there
If you find out what can fit let me know, I would love to know this as well.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Welcome to the RSM Owners Club....

Quote:
yeah but the down tube on them are sooo short when you turn both on they start sucking air and the little cover on them just fall right off
russ49merc -

I won't pretend to speak for all the regular contributors to this thread.... but we are a very sociable and friendly group of enthusiasts of the Red Sea MAX system. We discuss its strengths and weaknesses everyday. Many owners contribute suggestions for improvement mods to our RSM's.

You come from a different saltwater experience!
We drive a "Mini-Cooper" and you may drive a "Merc Hot Rod"... but we like our RSM's!

Please do not 'drop in' to this thread with a dismissive attitude and immediate criticism of the tanks we own! We are more than happy to help your friend with his RSM setup and would welcome YOUR advice for suggestions on improvement in the RSM!
Old 01/08/2008, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

NaCl+H2O Fish,
No offense taken...I would like to be able to pick up some nice corals for a fraction of the cost (less than frag prices). I was hoping for some insight into taking a coral out of a poor environment and their ability to recover under better conditions.
My only experience has been with a Monti cap that was bleaching and it continued in my tank (only able to save a portion of it by fragging).

martinphillip03,
No new pics...unfortunately someone dropped and broke my wifes new camera on New years eve. It got sent away to see if the screen can be replaced.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:28 PM
Cruisin In the bad Merc

First off: I love this tank it is the coolest tank that has come from this industry in a long time. I was the one that suggested it to my friend. I have not said anything about YOUR tank. I just wanted someone's opinion on what pump to use the thread is so long it would take me a month to weed through all of this too find it. I tried doing searches with no luck.

when I first saw the pump i thought it was a joke that there was a missing part or something.

I'm sorry i offended you not my intention.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:29 PM
Cruisin In the bad Merc

Quote:
Originally posted by Y-DesygnGuy
If you find out what can fit let me know, I would love to know this as well.

Thank you as soon as I find out I will post it.
Old 01/08/2008, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Now We Are Talking!!!

Quote:
First off: I love this tank it is the coolest tank that has come from this industry in a long time. I was the one that suggested it to my friend. I have not said anything about YOUR tank. I just wanted someone's opinion on what pump to use the thread is so long it would take me a month to weed through all of this too find it. I tried doing searches with no luck.

when I first saw the pump i thought it was a joke that there was a missing part or something.

I'm sorry i offended you not my intention.
-

russ49merc - I apologize if I miss interpreted the tone of your initial posts and never thought you were criticizing my tank! Actually, I just now received my RO/DI system so I can begin it's setup!

We all of course believe that we OWN a very COOL SYSTEM! You will discover that we are very happy to help you with your questions about the RSM. We would also welcome your thoughts for suggested improvements!

Welcome!
Old 01/08/2008, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

DIY Led bar lighting to RSM .
Less than 2 watts consumption per bar
Each bar has 30 high power white leds.
There are also bars with blue leds.
Each bar costs 25 euros in Greece.
No heat at all and the leds lasts for one life
I think this is the future in lighting.

Last edited by stathis; 01/08/2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01/08/2008, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Y-DesygnGuy

Off topic with you... I did a fun photo shoot over the summer for the Speed Channel. One of the guys brought a Merc to it. I am sorry for not remembering all the specs on it, but it was super charged and sweet! following this link and you can see a few pics of it along with a Porsche and models. http://www.y-desygn.com/turbotvphotoshoot.html
*edit* the point of the photo shoot was to show a behind the scenes type look for a tv pilot some friends of mine were doing. Hence the pictures not being perfect they were never intended to be. I was being filmed while I directed the models in a "photo shoot" I just couldn't resist actually taking pictures!

[/B]
Sorry was there cars in the pictures? Just cant seem to see them...
Old 01/08/2008, 07:26 PM
Premium Member

stathis - I love your tank! I have always wondered about LED lighting in a tank and was going to do some research. Can you tell me if they provide the right light spectrum for your corals and how they are doing. Your tank looks healthy. How long have you been running LED lighting? Do you also run the stock RSM T5?
Old 01/08/2008, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

I'm using the stock lights with ''adds-on'' two bars of these leds.
The spectrum is just fine.
I'm using it for more than 1 month and i think that my SPS loves it.
Old 01/08/2008, 07:55 PM
Genuine reef addict

NaCl - I was biting my tongue, but thank you

russ49merc - this mod is probably what was mentioned on the pumps: mbdave's powerhead pump mod. It puts the pumps below the water level and used a MJ1200 pump:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=20

Stathis - is that one strip of LEDs your only light source in that last picture? Or is the LED strip in addition to the RSM lights? EDIT - you answered my question as I was typing it - thanks!