Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

sorry double post and d40 not 40d.
Old 01/01/2008, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

Camera Choice

I don't subscribe to the endless discussion over who makes the best cameras. Nikon and Canon both make fantastic cameras, it all comes down to personal choice, although if you have a friend with one or the other it can be a good idea to go for the same brand. That way you can share the costs of things like Macro Lenses which are nice to have, but are not used everyday for general photography.

I am a Nikon user, and have been for almost 40 years. Its not so much brand loyality, its just once you chose a brand you are tied into it by all the accessories which you have. Nobody with a collection of Nikkor Glass is going to jump ship to Canon and have to purchase all the same lenses again in a different mount.

I had a D70 and thought it was a great camera, although I now use a D200 which is absolutly fantastic. Although as some mentioned previously, it weights the same as a small car. If you have'nt decided yet I would recommend the D80, but good luck with whatever you decide.

Les
Old 01/02/2008, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

Thanks to everyone who has been contributing to this thread. I seriously think that I have changed my mind about 5 times after I was SURE that I made my final decision on which camera/lens kit to buy. I go from entry-level cameras, to mid-level ones, and back..... from Canon to Nikon and back....and don't even get me started on whether to get the bundled lens or go with a body-only and buy the lens separately!

I think I just need to throw a dart at a bunch of pics of the cameras/lenses, and then buy whichever I hit because otherwise I'm just going to keep going back and forth...
Old 01/02/2008, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

Weeles is on the money regarding the D80.
Great camera, though it will probably be replaced in 2008. Already rumors flying about the D60 replacing the D40, though no real evidence yet. Once you buy a camera, don't look back, because something newer is always coming.

Here are some Nikon web sites that might interest you.

www.nikonians.com
http://www.nikonian.org/
Old 01/02/2008, 05:50 PM
I bleed orange and maroon

here is a canon forum that might interest you

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 01/03/2008, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

I really like the 18-55mm kit lens on the Nikon D40, its a great value. I am getting a macro in a couple of days but the kit lens was able to get this shot. Not to add confusion the D300 is out as well.....

Here is a larger version
Old 01/05/2008, 03:34 AM
Premium Member

D40 standard lens

First shot I took using the D40 with the standard lens 18-55 in auto setting.