Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 10/23/2007, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

RODI Kalk Reactor

After failing miserably at building a leak proof Kalk reactor I found a link on this site to someone who used a RODI canister to build a Kalk reactor. I really liked the idea of building one out of a RODI canister since they are leak proof and they are very small. That was really important to me because I don’t have much room in my stand.

The only problem was that it had no stir mechanism. I then decided to build one that I could use with a magnetic stirrer. The only problem was the bottom of the RODI Canister has a raised tube in the center that is used to hold the DI filter cartridge. I found a plastic drain disk at Ace hardware and it fit perfectly into the canister. I sanded the one side of the disk to make sure it was smooth.

I then used some super glue and glued it to the bottom of the RODI canister.

The top part of the canister needed a line that would run down to the Kalk. I used a ½ tap to thread the inside of the top tube. This is normally the output on a RODI canister but for the Kalk reactor it will be the input.

I used some teflon tape and attached the ½ MPT x ¼” hose barb

After that was secure I attached some ¼ tubing to the fitting and cut it to be just above the stir bar. I don’t want it to interfere with the stirring mechanism.

And here it is complete. I have a ¼ valve on the output in the picture that I ended up not using since I just run the topoff through the reactor and not using it for dripping Kalk.

Ca = 420
Alk = 9
Mg = 1350
NO2, NH3 = 0
NO3 = 0
Old 10/23/2007, 01:24 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

Will you please come teach my girlfriend how to use a tread tap.... and explain to her that teflon tape isn't supposed to be sticky??

Seriously though... Great Mod! Simple, clean and functional. Where did you get your stirring plate from? does it run 24/7 or do you have it on a timer?

Great Build!!
Old 10/23/2007, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rustybucket145
Will you please come teach my girlfriend how to use a tread tap.... and explain to her that teflon tape isn't supposed to be sticky??

Seriously though... Great Mod! Simple, clean and functional. Where did you get your stirring plate from? does it run 24/7 or do you have it on a timer?

Great Build!!
Thank you

I grew up with two brothers so I know my way around tools, hehe.

I got the drain plate from Ace Hardware. It was about $1. It had two white nipples on the front and back of the plate. Sorry, I can't think of a better word for them, hehe. I cut one of them off and then sanded it so it was smooth. I left the other one on so that I could insert it into the bottom of the DI canister. Then I glued it in place.

The neat thing about this reactor is that the drain plate keeps the Kalk below it so that it wont interfere with the the stir bar wich happens when Kalk hardens. Since the drain plate has holes in it then when the stir bar rotates the Kalk comes up through the plate.

I have the magnetic stirrer set to come on every 6 hours for 5 mins. I got my Stir plate off of Ebay. It was around $30 with shipping. I use a 2" stir bar. 2.5" might be better but you need at least a 2" stir bar otherwise the magnet is too weak. I set the magnetic stir to stir or slow-medium. Its like setting 4 out of 10 on my stir plate. If the setting is too high when it comes on it will vibrate and not stir. I found this setting to work the best for me.
Ca = 420
Alk = 9
Mg = 1350
NO2, NH3 = 0
NO3 = 0
Old 10/23/2007, 02:42 PM
Moved On

Very simple yet impressive mod. I wish my wife could do something like that
If I tried to explain anything remotely technical and/or involving tools, her eyes would just glaze over
Old 10/23/2007, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

What timer are you using? Nice build BTW...
Old 10/23/2007, 06:59 PM
Brighter the better

i was going to do something just like that, well kinda, tonight. when i get it done i to will post. but i realy like yours, nice and clean looking!
Old 10/23/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Hey where did you get the ro canister
Old 10/23/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Hey where did you get the ro canister
Old 10/23/2007, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

nanz, will you marry me?
Old 10/24/2007, 01:15 AM
Moved On

She's married dude. Didn't you see the ring?
Old 10/24/2007, 01:41 AM
Registered Member

shoot, just missed, again
Old 10/24/2007, 07:06 AM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

The cannister is just a water filter housing. Available at any hardware store, HD or lowes.
Old 10/24/2007, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

Very nice.... i likes whats i sees
Old 10/24/2007, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for all the compliments.. I am married already, hehe

I got the canister from an old DI unit that I dont use anymore. I think I bought the thing from FOS around $30 but that was including the DI filter. I think you can get one for about $15 online without the DI filter.

The timer I use is Coralife Power Center - Single Digital

I originaly purchased it for my lights but found out it did not work the way I had planned. I had it in a box for a while before I found a use for it. The nice thing about the power strip is it has 7 timer cycles but I only use 4 of them. I have mine programmed to come on at (5am, 11am, 5pm and 11pm) and they stay on for 5 mins then shut off. When you program the cycle the blue outlets are ON while the Yellow ones are OFF. I have my Stir Plate plugged into a BLUE socket and my ATO plugged into a YELLOW socket. This is an added feature for my setup because it will turn off my ATO while the Kalk is stiring. Also helps to reset the ATO if it failed somehow. Its worked for me very well but I only use one BLUE and one YELLOW outlet which is a waste but still does what I want it to.
Ca = 420
Alk = 9
Mg = 1350
NO2, NH3 = 0
NO3 = 0
Old 10/24/2007, 10:40 AM
Addicted to the Reef

nice solution also its hangable so we can get the kalkreactors off the floor!

and hate to say it. it dosnt even need to be that complicated you could just fill a old di cartridghe with kalk or.. just dump kalk into the canister ( dosnt really need to be stirred. it does the same job with less risk of slurry getting out)

"to many tanks not enough r/o"
Old 10/24/2007, 10:45 AM
Addicted to the Reef

and hate to say it. it dosnt even need to be that complicated you could just fill a old di cartridghe with kalk or.. just dump kalk into the canister ( dosnt really need to be stirred. it does the same job with less risk of slurry getting out)

"to many tanks not enough r/o"
Old 10/24/2007, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by A.T.T.R

I first tired that method but the Kalk kept getting solid and stuck to the bottom of the cartridge. My pH would fluctuate because the water coming out of the reactor was not saturated. If I tried to mix it by shaking it then I would just make a huge mess of slurry.

How much Kalk do you add to the canister?

With the stirbar/reactor I add 4 TBL spoons which is 12 teaspoons. Thats how much fits below the drain plate and lasts about 2 weeks. My evaporation is only 1 gallon a day and thats using a fan to speed it up, hehe.
Ca = 420
Alk = 9
Mg = 1350
NO2, NH3 = 0
NO3 = 0
Old 10/24/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

i'm new to the concept of the magnetic stirrer. Does the stir bar ride ontop of the drane plate? If so, would it be benificial to have a solidplate so the stir bar is in direct contact with the kalk, keeping it from going solid on you? I assume the magnetic stirrer comes in various sizes, what size is the one you are using? very well done and am planning to do the same thing, just looking to answer a fiew ? before i start.
Old 10/24/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

that's awesome. I've been thinking of how to build one for my tank and it never occurred to me to use those canisters. I've got several just laying around. Thanks for posting this.
Old 10/25/2007, 07:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wingmans10
i'm new to the concept of the magnetic stirrer. Does the stir bar ride ontop of the drane plate? If so, would it be benificial to have a solidplate so the stir bar is in direct contact with the kalk, keeping it from going solid on you? I assume the magnetic stirrer comes in various sizes, what size is the one you are using? very well done and am planning to do the same thing, just looking to answer a fiew ? before i start.
I use a 2 inch stir bar. I think a 2.5 inch bar would fit though. The canister is 3 inches in diameter. The reason for the drain plate to have holes is to keep the kalk from settling and hardening on the plate. If I add too much Kalk then the stirbar seems to get stuck. But if I add just enough to keep the kalk below the plate then it does not get stuck. Maybe if you used a 2.5" stir bar then it would stir settled kalk on top of the plate.
Ca = 420
Alk = 9
Mg = 1350
NO2, NH3 = 0
NO3 = 0
Old 10/25/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Ok, with that being said, the settled kalk below the plate is agitated enuff by the sir bar w/o direct contact to keep it from going solid? Thanks for the help
Old 10/25/2007, 01:59 PM
nucleosynthesis baby!

Awesome build Nanz. Its awesome to see the female reefers out there showing off their DIY skills.

I have an old clear filter housing that Im no longer using so I might give this a try.
Old 10/25/2007, 09:32 PM
Brighter the better

here is a 30 sec movie of my slow mix reactor that mixes 24 hous aday with no cloud! and the build is here

Old 10/26/2007, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

Thats Great! I love it when you tank a bunch of junk and convert it tinto something useful.. Great Idea
Ca = 420
Alk = 9
Mg = 1350
NO2, NH3 = 0
NO3 = 0
Old 10/26/2007, 11:42 AM
Moved On

FWIW... If you have an old computer hard drive lying around you could easily make yourself a magnetic stirrer from that as well, those magnets are extremely powerful.

one of these can be built pretty easily too

http://brewiki.org/StirPlate

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/show...Number/7082339