Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/13/2007, 12:50 PM
Premium Member

Damn clown, I'll add him dead last and see how it goes. If it was a brand new addition to my fish list I wouldn't add one but like I said I have grown to like the little guy. I will give him some more consideration though, maybe he would be happier somewhere else.

I would like to hold out for a smaller pair anyways but I will have to see what is available when I get the chance to start stocking my tank. I think my tank will be able to handle the extra bio-load, as I have more then my display volume dedicated to filtration. I am more concerned about swimming room these days. Thanks for weighing in with your experiences and knowledge. Greatly appreciate.

Those watanabei angelfih are beautiful, especially the male. How do you think my bellus would get along with him (or them)? Any other reef friendlish, small angels you can think of for the tank?

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 08/13/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Yep apogon leptacanthus is one of my favorites too
seawolf, I am sure you could add some more fish, but I think your marine betta would eat the schooling cardinals.
Old 08/13/2007, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

I keep genicanthus in with each other with no issues. Genicantus are the only reef safe angels. As for "reef friendlish", then take your pick. Most of the dwarfs are 50/50, but I would not add one unless you can easily remove it (doubt that in a tank that large). Some of the larger angels like pomacanthus or regal have good success with SPS.
Old 08/13/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

nice equipment list. we've got the deltec 1004 w/ self cleaning head and auto cup rinse on the large display i work with. the skimmer practically wipes your @ss - you will love it!

this system has an 800g sump/refugium plus the deltec fluidized reactors - we aren't having any issues keeping the nitrate/phosphate levels under control w/ a pretty decent bioload. ozone is pumped into each of the skimmer's pumps and the system is maintaining about 415 orp.

Old 08/14/2007, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

i would skip the 6-line and the clown tang. 6lines dont clean fish anyway.. they kill fish! I would do some wrasse shoals instead. This sounds like a sweet tank!
Old 08/14/2007, 02:20 PM
Premium Member

jda - thank you for that information. Those regal angels are certainly beautiful but I will be shooting for the genus you mentioned. Thanks.

benny z - Thanks, looking forward to a skimmer wiping my a$$ rather then the other way around. You have any more pictures of that system, looks sick! What ozone generator did you use?

zemuron114 - fourline it is then. Clown tang is currently being closely reconsidered. Wrasse shoals, suggestions? Thanks.

Old 08/14/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

4 line is no different than a 6 line in temperment. You could check out carpenters wrasses for a shoal. I really like them.
Old 08/14/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thirschmann
benny z - Thanks, looking forward to a skimmer wiping my a$$ rather then the other way around. You have any more pictures of that system, looks sick! What ozone generator did you use?
sure! there are more equipment pics (including the ozone generator & air dryer) here: link

the tank is still very young - once the corals fill in it's going to be a phenominal tank. the dimensions are 11ft x 5ft x 3ft - double sided starfire with fiberglass/wood sides and bottom.

Old 08/14/2007, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

jda - hmm... I'll look into them. Thanks

benny z, wow... I want one like that.

Old 08/14/2007, 03:24 PM
Premium Member

what's a surge arm?

Old 08/14/2007, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

the tower on the left of the tank from these views is a wave/surge device. there is a piston that goes up and down inside the tube that draws water in and pushes it back out of the tube from the tunnels at the bottom (you can see them in the picture of the tank on the floor). the piston arm is what is pictured and named as the surge arm.
Old 08/14/2007, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

wow, I have a thing or two to learn from you. Is there somewhere that I can read up on how these pistons are constructed? I would also appreciate any advice you could give me for my tank build. Thank you.

Old 08/14/2007, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

btw how thick is that glass panel?

Old 08/15/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Just my two cents-

While a tank that large allows you to add alot of fish, I have always preferred fewer fish.

With too many fish, things look cluttered and 'unnatural'. Fewer fish will allow the viewer to focus more on the whole scene. More fish tend to distract from the scene you are creating.

This is just my opinion of course. I had a 110, which seemed big to me at the time, and I kept adding and adding fish. Eventually I lost a few, and I truly enjoyed the tank more thinned out.

For example, my final stock list was:
1 Flame angel
1 Poma angel
2 Blue Fiji damels
1 Yellow watchman goby

By anyone's standards that tank is way understocked, yet it gave the fish alot more room to establish territories and act naturally, yet it provided enough fish that the tank didn't look static.

With 480 gallons, you could really do something special with a few nice sized angels (or a pair) for your show fish, and a couple of pairing fish like clowns or damsels, and then your school of fish.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 08/15/2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

WHY CAN'T I BE RICH TO DO THESE THINGS?!?!?!

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears

Rehab is for quitters.

I like the smell of a particularly ripe fart (only if it is mine).~BrianD
Old 08/15/2007, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

I've never had a clown tang, but I do have a new Crosshatch pair (6",8") They have only been in the tank a few days, but I had to remove a 7" Naso because of a relentless pounding on the female. The male basically hid, if he did poke his nose out the Naso was after him too. I'm sure they will become more at ease as time goes by but after seeing just how non-aggressive this pair is I would get the Crosshatches settled before any of the tangs.
Old 08/15/2007, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

I can understand the lower numbers looks more natural sometimes, but more pictures of a reef that I see have huge numbers of fish, in densities far greater than I would have thought possible.
One side note: I would put your shoaling species in first then introduce the others when they are settled down, and before territories can be established.
Old 08/15/2007, 06:49 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by toonces
Just my two cents-

While a tank that large allows you to add alot of fish, I have always preferred fewer fish.

With too many fish, things look cluttered and 'unnatural'. Fewer fish will allow the viewer to focus more on the whole scene. More fish tend to distract from the scene you are creating.

This is just my opinion of course. I had a 110, which seemed big to me at the time, and I kept adding and adding fish. Eventually I lost a few, and I truly enjoyed the tank more thinned out.

For example, my final stock list was:
1 Flame angel
1 Poma angel
2 Blue Fiji damels
1 Yellow watchman goby

By anyone's standards that tank is way understocked, yet it gave the fish alot more room to establish territories and act naturally, yet it provided enough fish that the tank didn't look static.

With 480 gallons, you could really do something special with a few nice sized angels (or a pair) for your show fish, and a couple of pairing fish like clowns or damsels, and then your school of fish.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
I'm totally the opposite...I love the busy, hectic reef...like those scenes you see in the Red Sea, with all those anthias and other fish fluttering about.

You are right, to each their own

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 08/15/2007, 07:04 PM
I am Nano

I like blue green reef chromis. Nice colorful schooling fish.
Old 08/15/2007, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

wrasse shoals - 5-10 of any of the fairy wrasse species would be very nice.

Most tropical reefs are very busy with fish. Have you seen pictures of Fiji underwater? thousands upon thousands of fish (mainly anthias and chromis)

I like more fish. Keeps me entertained since corals are rather boring to me, but a must for a reef