Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club

Old 08/04/2007, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

Need help/advice on rebuilding my 120.

Just getting time to get back into this and although I am not a member of the local club yet, I was hoping that you guys might be able to offer some help/suggestions.

I bought my 120G AGA a while back and had all the best intentions of setting it up to be the SPS dominant reef tank that I have always wanted after spending so much time reading about (and drooling over) them on here. Somehow life had different plans for me and I haven't had the time or resources to devote to it again until now. My equipment is as follows:

120G AGA Reef Ready Aquarium (Corner Overflows) 4ftx2ftx2ft
30G Acrylic sump
Gen-X PCX40 External return pump
Euroreef CS 6-2 Protein Skimmer
2 IceCap 250W MH Ballasts lighting 2 250W XM 10k bulbs
1 IceCap 660 Ballast lighting 2 4ft Super Actinic VHO bulbs

I have a 3-4" sandbed which is mostly Caribsea Aragalive. I have about 120lbs of live rock which is a combination of Fiji and Tampa Bay Saltwater. I know that more rock is needed. I have been kicking around the idea of buying some dead base rock from one of the LFS's around here. I have also considered making some of my own rock. Opinions are welcome on that one.

I am trying to decide between building a new stand and canopy or doing a built-in under this funky space we have under the stairs.

I know that I really need some more flow in the tank. I would like to go closed loop if I could, but being that it is a glass tank, I don't know how I could easily get water down to the CL pump without drilling the tank. Again any suggestions are welcome on what everyone else has done.

Other than that what can you think of that I should do to set this up the right way for a successful SPS dominant tank. All suggestions and comments welcome.
Old 08/04/2007, 04:45 PM
Patient Reefer

Great list of equipment. Basically, just a little more flow, and you're in great shape. I think you have plenty of rock, unless you just want more. Try to leave as much open sand as possible. It makes for more water/sand contact which improves sand bed denitrification. A closed loop really needs a hole in the tank to draw from. Tanks are easy to drill and the diamond hole saws are about $20.00 including shipping if no one has the size needed. I have 3 different sizes. Some other folks have some also. Water changes are important. I would get a RO/DI unit and storage barrels.
Old 08/04/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. I thought I needed more rock than I have. Right now It is sitting on the bottom of the tank and not really stacked so much. I need some help with the aquascaping. I was thinking about buying a few beefy pieces of dead base rock to put on the bottom and just let my existing rock and sand seed that.

It would be great if I could find someone to help with the drilling and plumbing of a closed loop. After looking at all of the pictures of everyone's plumbing I'm starting to think I should revisit mine. I do have a 4 stage RO/DI unit. I got it from PurelyH20 in Orlando. I do 10% changes every 2 weeks. I need to get some good storage barrels, been using some spare tanks that I have for water change containers. What do I have to do to join the local club? I didn't see any info on the site for the club, maybe I just overlooked it
Old 08/04/2007, 07:13 PM
Patient Reefer

Threre is a place in Tampa to buy the barrels that most of us are using. PM ReefArtist and ask her for the address. To join the club, come to a meeting and pay $20.00. I drilled my 125 sump, no problem. Several other folks have drilled their own. Figure out what size bulkhead you will use to supply the pump and we'll get it drilled. You will have to empty the tank if you want to drill it.

Old 08/04/2007, 09:48 PM
Membership Director/TBRC

To the TAMPA BAY REEF CLUB ! ! !
Be sure to check the date of our next meeting. You can find information in our web site.

Official Website
Old 08/04/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like this is a nice tank. Welcome to the forums.
Old 08/05/2007, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

I have a 120 that's been up and going for about 6 months now. The main difference between mine and yours is the amount of lighting. I have 4 110 watt VHO's. The 660 can easily handle them. I also have 2 seio 1100's in the tank for added flow and a quad return on my main pump. I added about 160lbs of rock to my tank. I would ask the folks on here if anyone has any for sale. I got 200 lbs of dry rock for under 150.00 from here. I sold what I had left over to a member on here.
Give yourself a bit of open sandy area as Mike said.
And most inportantly , be patient with it.
Good luck
Old 08/05/2007, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. The tank itself has been up and running for some time now, a 2.5 years in fact. I just never had the time, energy or money to devote to a full blown reef setup until now. The only inhabitants that are in there right now are a gold striped maroon, a crosshatch goby, a scopas tang, two skunk cleaners and about 30 miscellaneous snails and 40 micro blue hermits. I think i will most likely go closed loop for added cirulation/water movement.
Old 08/05/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Mike,

I have been reading throught the 390 build thread and all I can say is wow. Your setup is something to be envious of. You have obviously put a lot of thought and work into it. I hope you don't mind if I ask some questions about how/why you did things and for some suggestions during my rebuild.
Old 08/05/2007, 05:54 PM
Patient Reefer

No problem. I learned by asking and asking and asking.
Old 08/05/2007, 11:54 PM
Moved On

me too, you should come too meeting and check out the locals and get good info for your reef, and if you do I'll donate some frags when your ready,and some cycled water.
Old 08/06/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Thanks,

The tank has been up an running for quite a while now. Closed loop should be going in next. I have been looking at a lot of different peoples CL's. I am most likely going to go with a Sequence dart for the pump. From what I have read the build quality and longevity makes them one of the most commonly used for closed loop setups. A question for you guys did everyone one decide on outlet number and placement in their CL setups?
Old 08/06/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

i dont have the most extravegent setup but i am running a closed loop.. i recently posted a picture thread and it has a couple of pictures of my CL.

i think people around here would rather you ask than guess and fail.

im still learning and STILL asking and hopfully they arent too tired of it yet lol

good luck on the setup.