Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish

Old 07/15/2003, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

Question Maroon Clown Swimming Weird...PLEASE HELP!

My 3 in marron clown of about 2 or 3 weeks, all of a sudden just starts swimming upside down and vertically, he was literally fine this morning i was watching the tank and it just started happening what is wrong???

please help

Last edited by tqhot; 07/15/2003 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07/15/2003, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

Now my anemone has shrunken up...is there some kind of connection with this???

I haev put the clown in a specieman container thingy withthe slots/holes for circulation with in the tank
Old 07/15/2003, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

Can you check your water and post pH, salinity, ammonia and nitrite readings. Something is not right in the tank, probably. You are stressing the clown in that container. I would let him swim around. Does he have any spots or bruises?

Also, what do you have for circulation? Is there enough oxygen in the tank?
Old 07/15/2003, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

I am in the process of testing everthing, i suppose there is not much that can be down until we have these readings...he now occasionally sinks to the bottomand lays there and then swims around again a little, i have an ehiem pump with the return poing at the surface and also an extra powerhead which when the fish can swim he head towards it
Old 07/15/2003, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

OK well sadly i must report that it seems that it has died there seems to be now movment from it on the bottom of the tank...it all happened so quickly in a matter of hrs, i would like to figure out what happened if possible i will post all test results when i have them, any help that can be offered will greatly appreciated
Old 07/15/2003, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

pH a little low @ 7.8
Ammonia @ 0 mg/l
Nitrate @ about 15 mg/l
Nitrite @ 0.2 mg/l
Salinity @ 1.026
Temp @ 80 F

Am I to assume that I need to do a water change I just performed one 4-5 days ago. All levels in the tank had been fine at that time.
Old 07/15/2003, 02:00 PM
Premium Member

Yes, you need to perform large water change, your nitrites are high. Keep an eye on pH levels and keep adjusting it, if needed.

I am surprised the clown died so fast after being in your tank for 2 weeks. Could it be some kind of environmental poisoning? Windex, pest control, well water? What water did you use for your last water change?
Old 07/15/2003, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

I usefd RO/DI unit it has only been being used for the past 2 months everything should be ok with that. I did add a new anemone last night, but nothing else in the tank is effected everythign else looks same as always