Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum

Old 01/08/2008, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

Detergent and Time

Just another filter sock question. If there is detergent residue on the filter sock when I return it to service, what happens to the residue? Does the Macro use it or does it just bulid up in the system?
Old 01/08/2008, 08:09 PM
RC Mod

That depends on what exactly is in the detergent, but the skimmer will remove some of it, if there is a skimmer, and the rest should break down after some period.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:02 AM
Premium Member

Re: Detergent and Time

Quote:
Originally posted by The Floodinator
Just another filter sock question. If there is detergent residue on the filter sock when I return it to service, what happens to the residue? Does the Macro use it or does it just bulid up in the system?
why is there a detergent residue. I soak each sock in a bucket of javex and water for about a week. then I put them directly into the washing machine. If you let them dry in the air afterwards all the chlorine will evaported---very white and no detergent residue
Old 01/09/2008, 01:42 AM
RC Mod

Okay, now I'm curious. What is javex?
Old 01/09/2008, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

I would like to know what javex is too.
Hylinur, I wash the socks with bleach, rinse 4 times and dry for a week. I have no worries about chlorine. But if there is detergent residue on the sock (as some have suggested there might be) I'm curious as to what happens to it once the sock returns to service.
The residue would have come from the washing machine. I don't have a washing machine solely for filter socks, yet.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:20 PM
RC Mod

There might be detergent and bleach residuals in the sock. I suspect the amount would be minimal, but a vinegar rinse would eliminate the bleach, and likely help with any detergent.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

I remember the vinegar rinse from an earlier post and plan to do that in the future.
I was just curious if there might have been any negative effects for not doing the vinegar rinse up to now.
Not that I noticed anything bad, other than the skimmer shifting to overdrive after I changed the socks.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:15 PM
RC Mod

I think the residue on a filter sock is going to be very small after four rinses, so I probably wouldn't worry much.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

O.K., after an exaustive search of the net (5 min. max) I found out what Javex is. Javex (or Javex-12) is a trade name for a type of bleach.
Jonathan, we can rest now.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bertoni
Okay, now I'm curious. What is javex?
bleach
Old 01/10/2008, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Floodinator
I would like to know what javex is too.
Hylinur, I wash the socks with bleach, rinse 4 times and dry for a week. I have no worries about chlorine. But if there is detergent residue on the sock (as some have suggested there might be) I'm curious as to what happens to it once the sock returns to service.
The residue would have come from the washing machine. I don't have a washing machine solely for filter socks, yet.
I don't have a washing machine dedicated to filter socks and I don't have a blender dedicated to making home brew fish food----it just done when my wife is out

I soak all the sock in bleach until the accumulate to 4-5 then wash them twice.
there was a guy that did a seminar on these in Buffalo--claimed you can wash them in bleach and detergent with no problems---I could never accept using the soap--but I did buy the idea of soaking them in bleach.

Big question----sometimes I can still smell the bleach in them after they have been washed and allowed to dry--does that mean they still have bleach in them?
Old 01/10/2008, 11:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
bleach
---sorry I couldn't answer sooner --ever had a good size long tip anemome get stuck in a power head--what a mess--glad is was the 30 gal 'what the heck did you buy that for" tank