Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01/22/2007, 10:59 AM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

Tunze nano mod

well mine seemed like it wasnt pumping much lately, today it would hardly sway the polyps on my SPS about 20" away, so my mechanical brain kicked in. I took off the front cover, so just the impellar was exposed, and it cranked out an amazing amount of flow, the only problem was it sucked alto of water in really fast from behind, and was pretty dangerous. I'd guess near 1500 GPH, enough so it blew a 1lb rock across my 29 gallon tank over into the glass. I saw this and instantly thought, i can I get a comparable amount of flow, but have it be safer, and not look bad. Thats when I looked at the front inside cover, there was a tube where the impellar goes inside, and I realized, this must be what is restricting all the flow!

So I tooke metal clippers(not neccesary, just need something that can get enough pressure to cut the plastic) and snipepd through it in abotu 2 minutes i had the top half cut off. I put it in the tank, and I'm guessing at least 1.5x the flow it normall put out. I'd put it at around 900-1000GPH, but thats an estimate, I've never felt that flow, but trust me, its ALOT

I'll post pics in a minute, but the best part is, it doesnt effect the looks of the pump, pump is still putting out same noise, looks the same, just more flow.

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."