Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 07:34 AM
------------

pbukow,

Thanks for the comments. I hope you've thrown a new camera onto your christmas list, it's pretty fun!

I see you're from Las Vegas, I'll actually be down there at some point in the next few weeks. Is there any interesting reef-related places I should check out, like a large aquarium etc?

As for my zoa colonies... They seem to be opening up more now and I have not seen any more nudibranchs or eggs around. I FW dipped and used tweezers to remove what I could. I also had a sixline wrasse in my tank for about a month and I hope this made at least some difference.

I really need to upgrade my QT procedures, this tank is hosting lost of unwated animals... nudibranchs, hydroids, flatworms and potentially a few pyramid snails. Everything seems healthy and is continuing to grow.
Old 12/19/2007, 07:35 AM
------------

Well I have figured that it is about time for an update even if it is a pretty modest one.

I'm almost officially on my christmas vacation - I have a paper to finish up and them I'm free. I have already left my house at school and had am expected to be gone until January 7th. I'll be out of the country and far from my tank for most of this time. Hopefully I can check on it at least once.

This means I had to do a few things:

-Finally set up my ATO with lots of reserve water
-Make sure everything else is automated and set in properly!
-remove animals with feeding requirements.
-make sure my water quality can remain high for the duration

My ATO may look a little sketchy for the moment yet it should work. I have about 15G of RO/DI water on a reservoir and don't expect that even half of this will be used. It's pretty dry and cold this time of year here.

I removed my blue tang and in a few hours will be taking this guy to a his new home. I've said it before but I'll repeat how pretty I think this fish is.... upgrade some day

----

If you've been watching and laughing at my varied outbreak of pests you may enjoy this update picture of my unwanted colonial hydroids. I would say the colony has increased 5 fold.

This is what the inside of a ricordea looks like.

Old 12/19/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

I love your work man!good stuff!.
I live in the UK but travel back home to Greece on various occasions,so I have been thinking about how to keep track of my tank while I'm away.Apart from the various automations(feeding,to-off etc),I thought that setting up a IP web cam might be an idea...or to be more exact integrating a few of them on my LAN(a full tank view,a sump view,++) and then building a web browser to connect remotely to them.
Having said this I have a few reservations over the project...

a)will I be able to enjoy my holidays(or work for you)if I'm frantically looking for wi-fi hot spots all the time,or just constantly on the home computer checking up on things
b)If something goes wrong will my folks see a grown man cry 'cos I'm
2000 miles from doing anything;
c)Or is this a great idea giving me the opportunity to contact a friend/girlfriend(or the janitor) or someone in a position to act and avoid a catastrophe;

Just some food for thought there.Great work again!keep it up and keep us posted!
3x24w t5 luminare(2x14K marine white,1xactinic)
V2 400 skimmer
Old 12/19/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Nice looking pics
Old 12/19/2007, 09:56 AM
------------

mahalamata,

I like your ideas and I certainly considered doing something like that.

I didn't get my act together in time however it would be great to at least have a camera to look for water levels, pumps, lights and maybe even to see a thermometer read out. I think it is probably fairly easy to do and I know webcams are used by RC users.

If you've got a reef controller, depending on the model, you can set these up to display their status on the net.

Maybe though you're right that it is best not to know. That way, when you do get home to the disaster you can cry in the comfort of your own home !
Old 12/19/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Ive seen the controllers you mention but at the moment setting something like that up would cost more than my nano reef has cost me LOL.They say that a picture is worth a 1000 words so I would much rather look at my reef and see what going on!Off course getting all you tank readings in an SMS can be also useful lol.Having said this being the network geek that I am,my tank stand is already wired for a network enabled controller hehehe.
best of luck with your tank,I am sure everything will be OK when you get back.Its always a treat to be gone for a while and come back to find all the new developments(good ones off course) in ones tank!

I hope you all enjoy the coming holidays!Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
V2 400 skimmer
Old 12/19/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

oh and I totally agree with you!lamenting the loss of your favorite coral/fish/whatever is always best done in private!Non-reefers just don't get it do they?it scares them LOL
V2 400 skimmer
Old 12/19/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

There are actually a lot of different aquariums around the city. The first and most famous is the Shark Reef aquarium in Mandalay Bay, no reefs but a massive sunken ship type exhibit (+500,000gallon tank) thats pretty cool. The Ceasar's Palace has one in the Forum Shops, Bass Pro Shop on Blue Diamond rd has a large fish only tank that they sometimes dive in and feed regularly in front of the public, they also have 2 jellyfish tanks in the bar next to the aquarium. The Mirage has a 10,000 gallon fish tank behind their check-in desk and also have dolphins in the Secret Gardens exhibit. I think thats about most of em, there might be more just can't remember What time do you think you'll be visiting Sin City?