Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

Anyone use a Deltec FR509

Hi
What do you think of the FR509, I was thinking of getting one for phosphate removal, I can get one for around £100 here in the Uk. I dont have a sump so I was thinking I could put it next to tank on the floor, what powerhead should I use for it (it will be approx 1.5m below top of tank).

Thanks for any advice.

Barry
Old 12/06/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Anyone
Old 12/06/2007, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

I have a FR 509, and I like it. I feed mine by splicing off the return pump.

I think any small power head (like a Maxi-jet) would do. The flow requirement is quite low.
Old 12/07/2007, 02:25 AM
Registered Member

Many thanks for that, I am thinking of getting one for christmas I was orignally thinking of getting the phosban reactor.

Barry
Old 12/07/2007, 03:24 AM
Premium Member

Barry,

Get the Deltec if it fits in the budget. It's easier to deal with on a day to day basis. Besides, the Phosban reactor can leak leading to a big disaster. I used to have one and it did fine, but I was always worried about it.

Another neat fact about the FR509 is that it is substantially taller than the Phosban Reactor. This makes it more difficult for the "fines" to get released from the reactor at higher flow rates.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

I agree get the Deltec over the Phosban reactor if your budget permits it. The build quality is like comparing a tricycle to a Lamborghini.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrist
I agree get the Deltec over the Phosban reactor if your budget permits it. The build quality is like comparing a tricycle to a Lamborghini.
Which translates into no leaks in this case.

BTW, I've been so itching for some new Battlestar.
Old 12/07/2007, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

Yes no leaks whatsoever…I tried the Phosban and it was a piece of cra*, all it did was leak. The Deltec worked perfectly from the day I installed it. I own the FR616 which is a bigger unit but it works the same.

Me to, I want to see how they straighten out Starbucks death. Boy that ****ed me off...