Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/24/2007, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

Best Nano Tank?

I was contemplating leaving the hobby , but now I think I'm just going to go small (I actually am trying to sell my 55G and 100G tanks in order to fund this endevor). I'm looking for a Nano tank (~20G) that comes complete and would be well suited for a reef tank. Please let me know any suggestions that you guys may have. Thanks
Old 09/24/2007, 03:36 PM
My tank is too full

If I was going to do this, I would get a finnex.

To thine own self be true
Old 09/24/2007, 03:38 PM
I'm all wet!

Jebo has some nano tanks and redsea has a new one that just came out.

Its Only $100 Dollars dear....
Old 09/24/2007, 03:42 PM
My tank is too full

Nanocustoms.com has some things you might want to check out as well.

To thine own self be true
Old 09/24/2007, 04:18 PM
Got Salt?

You could go a tad bigger and spring for a red sea max?

Jack of all trades, and master of none.
~Steve~
Old 09/24/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

I'd go (and have gone) to a custom acrylic nano with a built in sump (just like the commercially available tanks). However, you can get it built to your specs. and it will cost about the same (maybe even cheaper depending on the builder you choose). If you're really ambitious, you can do the build yourself, but not everyone has the tools. I've got to say that I many times enjoy my little PC lit nano more than anything under a halide. Good luck!
Old 09/24/2007, 07:58 PM
Macro Algae Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally posted by Wee-Reef Master
I'd go (and have gone) to a custom acrylic nano with a built in sump (just like the commercially available tanks). However, you can get it built to your specs. and it will cost about the same (maybe even cheaper depending on the builder you choose). If you're really ambitious, you can do the build yourself, but not everyone has the tools. I've got to say that I many times enjoy my little PC lit nano more than anything under a halide. Good luck!
great suggestion mike. i'd go w/ a custom built to your specs. you'll be much happier in the end product for roughly the same price.
Old 09/24/2007, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

I have an open top JBJ nano cube that has a Viper 150MH on it and a HOB filter and two Maxijets in it.

It is lightly stocked and it really takes a back seat to the other tank, so it doesn't get as much attention.

I have found this setup to be as "set it and forget it" as it can get, and trust me I do.
Old 09/24/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dots
I have an open top JBJ nano cube that has a Viper 150MH on it and a HOB filter and two Maxijets in it.

It is lightly stocked and it really takes a back seat to the other tank, so it doesn't get as much attention.

I have found this setup to be as "set it and forget it" as it can get, and trust me I do.
got any pics?
Old 09/24/2007, 09:28 PM
Premium Member

if i was doing it all over again:

www.cadlights.com

Old 09/24/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

The Finnex M-tanks w/MH are nice, as are the following:
JBJ Nanocube 28G 150W HQI
CurrentUSA AquaPod 24G 150W HQI
Old 09/24/2007, 11:39 PM
Premium Member

Like I said, the grounds keeper hasn't got to this one yet, but this is more about function than form I suppose. Low bioload and a selection of specie that do not deplete Alk/Ca fast.....just one LPS, some palys, a Sebae, and a 4" maroon clown. I had a nice selection of zoas but got a little to carried away when I saw a nudi infestation......more of a search and destroy rather than a rescue operation one could say. Between that and my bigger tank problems, this one has taken the back seat.

Last edited by dots; 09/24/2007 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09/25/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod_28g_nano.html

This link is for the 28 gallon JBJ Nano Cube. I am not sure what exactly the best is but I have owned the 12 and 24 gallon nano cubes before.

The overflow on the nano cubes (Not sure about the 28 I think they fixed/modded it) doesn't have a surface skimmer. This allows oils to gather and float on the top, reducing light and just adding a layer of slime. There is a little 10$ insert that literally looks like a old cassette tape case that has been cut to perform the role of a surface skimmer.

The return pump seemed fine but I upgraded it for better flow and it seemed as though that was a common mod.

I also bought a Hydor for the output. The Hydor spins and changes up the current. (Really cool device, check it out no matter what Nano you end up at.)

The last really big weakness is that the Nano tanks have a single cord to plug in, for the Night Light and also the 2 sets of lights in the hood. So you can't really use a timer. I replaced the ballast with one that had 2 cords instead of one and also a single cord for the moon lights so that they could all be operated by hand.

I ended up spending way to much money on this tank with small mods. After replacing the pump, adding the surface skimmer, adding a hydor and replacing the ballast I really liked it. (It still had lighting for low light corals)

But those mods cost money and it seemed as though, after one was added another would be waiting. They are expensive too. Go to nanocustoms.com and look at the hoods they sale. Can almost keep your 55 for the same price.

(I have gone from a 55 in college to a 35 hex when I moved home. After that I moved into a 12 gallon jbj nanocube. (Upgraded the skimmer, output and pump) Then a 24 gallon jbj nanocube (Upgraded the Skimmer, output, ballast and pump) Now I have a 50 gallon with 30 gallon sump.

I had to have more room. JBJ SUCKS without the skimmer (overflow) mod. The ballast is frustrating, who wants a single cord to control 3 different lights? Am I the only one that uses timmers? The Pump is a mod that is easy and everyone seems to recommend and do. The Hydor output is awesome. No matter what Nano you get this should be looked at.