Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/18/2007, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

Zoa Nano feedback

Hello all,

My wife and I have our 1st on the way, we are expecting a girl in July. Having just added a 180 SPS tank to the 150 LPS / Softie tank that was already in "MY" basement, I was shocked to hear her say: "Well we need an aquarium in the baby's room.

SO here is what I'm thinking:

Nano Wave 9 gallon aquarium from AM. The only mod I'm planning (at this time) is the lighting so that lights can be on a timer with moonlights on 24/7.

In my Frag tank: I am pairing up a no-bar Ocellerious and a Black Ocellerious and getting them to host in a Rose BTA. I plan to add one or two other small gobie size fish. There may be a few nice Rics in the tank.

The rest of the tank will be the nicest Zoas I can find. I've recently "rediscovered" Zoas and have started collecting some nice ones. I already have growing out at the bottom of my 180:

Orange Bam-bams
Greenbay Packers
Blue Eye Girls
Red People Eaters
Radioactive Dragon Eyes
And several other red, green, orange and blue unidentified Zoas.

My questions are:

Specific to Zoas, what experiances have you had with tanks of this size in general? Any suggestions?

48w of PC Light, will my Zoas keep there bright color?

Has anyone used the Nanowave 9g tank and kept a fair number of Zoas? How did they do?

What other mods would you suggest I should plan for / consider?

Thanks in advance.
Love Randy's 3-part.
Old 03/19/2007, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

Congrats, I've got a 5.5g Nano with 50w of PC lighting and my zoas are doing fine. Mine are full of about 30 different zoa types. Good Luck and i don't see you having a prob.
Old 03/19/2007, 12:00 PM
No, I can't ID!

You know, I've never heard of the nanowave. Sounds like you are right on track for a nice tank, but I would be cautious when it comes to having a RBTA in a tank that small. RBTAs can grow pretty large and may split when stressed. If that thing started to move around a zoa tank it would be like a bulldozer.

Then again, if you can make it stay in one section then you should not have a problem. Have you thought about using an alternative host for your clowns. Mine really like the frogspawn. The good thing about a frogspawn is that it won't move, and if it grows to big I can frag it.
Old 03/19/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

That is a good point Ficklefins. I've thought about the possibility that the BTA would not do well, and the dammage to some expensive Zoas if it was lost. However, I've seen a green BTA do well for the past 3 months in another Wavenano and feel pretty good about it. The insurance is that I'm sure to be seeing that tank often, and I've got other places it could go if it isn't looking well.

30 in a 5.5g nano? I guess that means I'll need about 50 for a 9.

Love Randy's 3-part.
Old 03/19/2007, 06:41 PM
Registered Member.

nice
Old 03/19/2007, 06:46 PM
Losing my mind

Everything sounds great so far That being said, unless your clownfish are super tiny I think a 9 gallon nano might be a bit small for 2 clowns. You might wanna do a yasha/goby pair or some other goby or blenny...they have a lot of personalitu Another option (which I'm sure you're planning on ) is to move the clowns to one of your other tanks once they outgrow the nano.
Old 03/19/2007, 06:58 PM
No, I can't ID!

Grav,

I'm right next to Fairfax VA! You are the second local reefer I have met on here in the past week. I totally missed that during my first post.
Old 03/20/2007, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

That is a good point about the size of the clowns. I'm not sure how long they will be a good fit. We will have to see who outgrows it 1st the RBTA or the fish.

Good eyes Ficklefins, I didn't see that either.

I'm near 7100 and 29. We should be frag swapping or something.
Love Randy's 3-part.
Old 03/20/2007, 05:22 AM
No, I can't ID!

I'm right off 7100 @ Rolling Rd. I guess we are about 20-25 minutes from each other.