Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/26/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Can anyone recommend a good tank thermometer / manufacturer?

Any suggestions/brand names for a good tank thermometer? I need to buy one.

Thanks for any ideas!

Eric
Old 06/26/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

pinpoint
Old 06/26/2007, 09:05 PM
Reef nerd

Pinpoint Wireless Thermometer. Awesome.

You could even put it by your bed at night to ease your worries as long as your bedroom is withing 100ft of your tank.
Old 06/26/2007, 10:06 PM
Is it nap time yet?????

I use the coralife digital it is much less pricey than the pinpoints.

"In the Torah it says "love thy neighbor as thy self". The Buddha says there is no "self". So maybe you are off the hook."
Old 06/26/2007, 10:09 PM
Is it nap time yet?????

I use the coralife digital it is much less pricey than the pinpoints and still fairly accurate.

"In the Torah it says "love thy neighbor as thy self". The Buddha says there is no "self". So maybe you are off the hook."
Old 06/27/2007, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Thumbs up Analog Thermometer

I recommend the $40 Miller & Weber TM-9301 PerformaTherm non-mercury thermometer from: http://www.hmalabsupply.com/index.ph...pshop&Itemid=1

It is a foot long with a 66 to 80 degree Fahrenheit range. The 0.2-degree increments are 1 mm apart. Its blue liquid is very easy to see. It does not drift and I use it to calibrate my temperature controller and Eheim Jager heaters every few months. Don’t buy an electronic thermometer unless you have a way to calibrate it for drift. Even my Medusa HC-150 controller can drift a degree every few months. My Eheim Jager heater can drift up to 5 degrees.

An alternative is the nearly identical A-20 from http://www.sealifesupply.com/prclst2.htm. It is also made by Miller & Weber, costs $24 and contains mercury.
Old 06/27/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

i have had a coralife worked well for awhile but my pin point was much better and lasted 5 times longer
Old 06/28/2007, 12:17 AM
Premium Member

It's hard to beat an analog thermometer built to ASTM standards, such as the Miller & Weber TM-9301. You can even get a NIST certificate with it. It requires no battery to run dry. It will not corrode with salt. There is no sensor probe to replace and recalibrate. Unless you drop it, it will last a lifetime.

The non-toxic blue liquid and the 0.2-degree increments that are 1-mm apart are very easy to read - down to 0.1 degrees. It will not drift like electronic thermometers. All electronic thermometers must be periodically calibrated with analog thermometers such as these. (http://www.hmalabsupply.com/index.ph...pshop&Itemid=1)
Old 06/28/2007, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

$5 for the one at hellolights kinda cute how they stick inside the tank.

Fall apart after a while, but it is only $5... buy 4
Love Randy's 3-part.