Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 02:42 PM
Premium Member

Need advice on a new tank build (120Gal)

Well, I've outgrown my 40breeder that is 25yrs old and scratched like crazy.

I've been looking at getting a 120Galon tank. I saw the tech series and they look great.. starfire, no center brace, slim overflow...

I will have a custom stand/hood made to fit.

I am still in the planning phases, but I want to make this all happen in the next month or two. I already have a skimmer (H&S A150) which is external. I got an Tunze 6025 and 6045 nano stream which will have to make due for the time being.

But I need some feedback.

1. Sump

I'm going to use my old 40 breeder as a sump... I know rod makes great sumps but what does he offer? I mean I am happy with 3 chambers and a few bubble traps (this i can do for like 20bux)...

2. Lights

I know the heated debate over T5s vs MH... I am 99% I want to go with MH for my main lights, and T5's for the supplemental. Can somebody suggest what they would consider the best reflectors and ballast? I won't have a chiller so 250w is my limit (2 of them)

3. Return pump

A) I have an eheim 1250 which I know will be to small, but I have first hand experience with Eheim and I think they make good equipment, but I was wondering what other options I have?

B) Internal or external return pump: depending on space I will consider having tank drilled and having it external, what do I gain by doing this? I know you cut back on heat, but is it that much?

I am still in the planning phases, but I want to make this all happen in the next month or two.

Thanks!
Old 01/03/2008, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Mike, you've been in the planning phases for 3 years. Make it happen already

I am also hopeful this gets going in the next month or 2, I'm ready to see what 3 years of planning comes up with

Seriously, good luck Mike. I can't help you too much except to say that I like internal pumps (personal preference). The Mh's are a good choice, IMO, coming from someone that has T5's. And a 40 gallon sump is a good call for a 120. That should be adequate, IMO.

So, here's a bump.
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp
Old 01/03/2008, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

When is Dave supposed to finish the stand and canopy?
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 01/03/2008, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

I have a 120 also, and this is what I have-

Lights-
Maristar, Blue Wave Dual 250 Watt HQI, with 2 54 W actinic T5.

Pump-
External Eheim 1262 pump.

I know the Maristar is not cheap, but I wanted a plug and play, and I am very happy with it. The pump is quiet, and using it externally, I still have temp issues in the summer.

There is plenty of room in the stand to run the pump externally, and I have a 24 gallon sump that is 36" x 12" x 18" and a 5 gallon top off bucket in there.

HTH
Old 01/03/2008, 08:48 PM
Premium Member

You got any pics, interested in how your sump and lights are mounted.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Let's assume you are looking to run this as an SPS dominated tank.

Run the Eheim as your return for the 120 and supliment with either a closed loop or additional in-tank circulation (Tunze for controllable/directional flow or maximod for unidirectional flow on the cheap). The 1250 will provide plenty of turnover through the sump and will keep up with the H&S skimmer (as you already know). No reason to buy another when you already have a solid pump now.

I like the SLS HQI ballasts that I have, but if I were to buy them again I would go with the Galaxy ballasts and run single ended bulbs in the lumenarc mini or the lumenbright reflectors (over a 24" wide tank). If you will have a hood, go with the lumenarc minis as this will save you space for the actinics. The Galaxy ballasts are an electronic that will overdrive the bulbs a bit and there are many more choices for K ratings in the single ended bulbs. 2x250 will be plenty for the main lights.

There is still some debate as to VHO vs. T5 for actinic supplimentation. Some say VHO still outperforms the T5, but you can't argue with reduced wattage usage. I have VHOs and would buy them again.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Im actually in the process of building my 120 RR, and built a custom stand and hood..

For the sump I went with the 40 breeder too and an ocean runner 6500 for the return.

For the lighting I got 2 400 watt coralvue dimmable ballast with 2 12k Reeflux and I am using 2 lumenbright mini's for reflectors and 4 VHO's on an ice cap 660 controlled by the solar 1000 LWM

And for circulation I will be using 2 MJ1200 mods and 2 hydor 4's and trying to devise a surge device at the moment as well
Old 01/03/2008, 11:19 PM
Premium Member

I just posted some photos in my gallery. You can see the pump in the front of the stand. The photo of the lights were taken with just the T5s on, so it is a little tough to see, but you can at least see how it is mounted.
Old 01/04/2008, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

I had old m58? and reeflux 10k with 5 foot vho's and recently upgraded to icecap 250 mh ballasts with sunburst 12k's, I like the single ended bulb choices much better, but thats like coke or pepsi, to each his own....I like this look alot better. None of my friends are "reefgeeks" but have had many comments that my corals look "better" and the water looks "clearer" from non reefers. I think its a no brainer of vho over t5 for the purple glow look. I am not pro/con t5, i run t5s on my office tank and it looks fine, but the vho's just seem to make the corals "pop" to my eye. I have tried about 6 different t-5 bulbs and have yet to see my clams or zoas light up under the t-5s like they do under the vho. I run a pfo vho ballast and am really happy with it. If you are interested in an older vho setup i have a hamilton setup that can run 2 or 4, three foot bulbs that I would trade for corals/ reef safe fish/ gizmos etc. Its just collecting dust currently, it would only be good to mount in a canopy as its not the prettiest setup in the world.

sump your 40 breeder is ideal, I would run that skimmer internally and put in a few baffles. The oceanrunner pumps are fairly quiet, easy on the wallet, and can be run internally or externally. I have the same eheim on my CA reactor, I dont think its going to have enough output by itself, for a return on a 120, maybe on a 55-75, . My in tank flow is a bunch of seios and mj mods on the back wall blasting into the rockwork and 2 nano tunzes on the front corners. love the tunze's except they really should find a better way of attaching the plastic holder to the magnet, nothing a little super glue cant fix, but compared to the regular tunze's the attachment method is really weak. However they take up much less real estate and look pretty cool compared to what else is avail these days........ In my previous house I had a fairly elaborate closed loop setup with 2 darts and oceanmotions on it and a couple surge tanks. The surges I would do again, however surges are best for inwall setups with good noise barrier, and they tend to increase salt creep (so they work but have their own unique advantages/disadvantages)the darts/oceanmotions I would not, by the time you figure the costs of all the plumbing, valves, etc the in tank circulation is easier, more transportable when if you move, and less maintaince, and a lot less chance of weakening the glass with a bunch of extra holes..
Old 01/04/2008, 01:48 AM
Pufferkrazy!

Might I suggest a SeaSwirl for your return? I love mine!
Old 01/04/2008, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Hope your floor can take it this time.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdellman
I just posted some photos in my gallery. You can see the pump in the front of the stand. The photo of the lights were taken with just the T5s on, so it is a little tough to see, but you can at least see how it is mounted.
So how do you refill your auto top off bucket?
Old 01/04/2008, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pluk1982
Hope your floor can take it this time.
Hmm 1st post and he knew about my floor giving away on my last tank over a year ago??? Who might this be??
Old 01/04/2008, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

Well heres my concern, I really need to visit some fellow reefers to see how they got things setup...

Heres my goal:

In my stand, I wana put my 40Breeder, Phostphate Reactor, Ozone Unit(generator/dryer/air) pump, power center, H&S A150, and some type of Auto Top Off..

1. Should I put skimmer in sump? if so should it be in a chamber with water to increase volume?

2. How do most people rig up there top offs. I know people have containers that they use for top offs. but I want to avoid having to drag any jugs of water to my tank, I can run an a line form my RO filter, but I know you run the risk of thigns failing and it running nonstop.

3. Far as lights, I see a few suggestions for SE bulbs, i thought DE bulbs where the latest and greatest, offering more color selection etc...?
Old 01/04/2008, 02:03 PM
Any South Siders?

troy...i have a 120g tank for a couple years now. Some ideas for ya.

Here is a shot of the sump area in the basement, tank is upstairs.
Skimmer is in the left chamber of the sump return area, then baffled for H20 return area in center, the 3rd chamber is my refuge. Prop tank to the left...gravity fed from main tank and overflows into sump.
notice the FLOAT valve in center chamber? that is connected to an acrylic 10g tank that sits higher than the float (far right).....it gravity feeds into the sump for topoff...very easy and no POWER needed. i run PVC from a garbage can holding my RO/DI water and pump it into the top-off tank about every three days.

My fav for lights are XM-10K for growth and VHO's for actinics....guess im the old school type.

Tank shot:

Sump Area:

HTH,
Rich K.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:12 PM
Any South Siders?

Troy...TANK ROOM shot for ya as well!

RK

Old 01/04/2008, 02:17 PM
Pufferkrazy!

You're cats don't seem very interested in your tank.
Old 01/04/2008, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mnestroy

1. Should I put skimmer in sump? if so should it be in a chamber with water to increase volume?
Mike, have you seen the size of your skimmer? Seriously, I would have no idea how you would ever get that skimmer into a sump.

For those that don't know, his skimmer is simply MASSIVE. Maybe it's just because it's sitting next to a 40 breeder, but the thing is HUGE! There can't be a way to get that into a sump.....can there?

MIke got a huge skimmer about a year ago because he got a good deal on it, and he knew he was eventually going to have a bigger tank, much like the one being discussed here
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 01/04/2008, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

BTW Mike, can I call dibs on your 20 gallon sump now? I know I'll be able to use it for something.
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 01/04/2008, 03:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steri
BTW Mike, can I call dibs on your 20 gallon sump now? I know I'll be able to use it for something.
Sure... I think the H&S A150 will fit in the sump, its footprint is small enough my only concern is if i need to take the entire unit out, it might not clear the stand... I think i'll put it next to skimmer in its own 4or5 inch tray/tub with one of those water sensors incase it overflows.
Old 01/04/2008, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

i think that's a good idea. and thanks in advance!
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 01/04/2008, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mnestroy
So how do you refill your auto top off bucket?
I run a line from the R/O in the basement to the top off bucket. I have a float valve on the top off bucket that shuts off the water. I used to just turn on the r/o every other day for a few hours, and used the float valve as a back-up. Now I have gotten lazy and just leave it on. I probably should get back to turning it off though.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

A link to my 120g build........maybe you can get some ideas.

my 120g build

Click the Red house for my (just another) 120g in wall thread.