Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/10/2006, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

does anyone sell the complete modded impeller and shroud assembly for the mj 400?
Old 10/11/2006, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

How are the carbon fiber mods holding up? I am thinking of rebuilding my MJ1200's using carbon fiber rods and tubes.

What diameter rod and what diameter (ID and OD) carbon tube will I need?

Thanks,
-J
Old 10/11/2006, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

Anyone had any problems with fish getting caught in it (like with the seios)?
Old 10/11/2006, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

Old 10/11/2006, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

I haven't had any problems with fish getting caught. but it depends on the shroud you have.
Old 10/11/2006, 03:24 PM
I like sticks in my tank

How are the carbon fiber mods holding up? I am thinking of rebuilding my MJ1200's using carbon fiber rods and tubes.

I've had my carbon fiber rods & tubes set up since the spring. I took them apart and cleaned them the other day. I was pleasently surprised - I thought they would show more wear by now. 0.098 rod and 0.098 tube. I connect the rod to a drill and run it through the tube for a ~15 seconds to make sure everything spins smoothly.
Old 10/11/2006, 03:40 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by plaz

I have never had a fish caught in one of the MJ mods. The reason the SEIOs are more prone to this problem IMO is because their inlet slots are too few and way too restrictive which cause a greater suction force through the few small slots/holes that are there.

Infact I wouldn't be at all surprised that by making those SEIO slots larger or putting more in, you might be able to eliminate that completely with the SEIO. The bonus part to that would be you're getting more flow too.

D.
Old 10/11/2006, 03:45 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by miwoodar

I've had my carbon fiber rods & tubes set up since the spring. I took them apart and cleaned them the other day. I was pleasently surprised - I thought they would show more wear by now. 0.098 rod and 0.098 tube. I connect the rod to a drill and run it through the tube for a ~15 seconds to make sure everything spins smoothly.
Yeah carbon fiber is tough. I would say tougher than steel even ounce for ounce.
Old 10/11/2006, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

Thanks! Good to know why the Seios do that!
Old 10/11/2006, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

I have had one fish get sucked to the side. But that fish was in the process of slowly dying.
Old 10/11/2006, 05:59 PM
Moved On

I've purchased a total of 4 mj mods from two different people and have a total of 1 working one. This is really frustrating...

The three that are not working the impeller just bounced back and forth making a terrible noise. I thought it was becasue the impellers were not centered but after 15 minutes of messing with it still can't get it to stop.

Here is a picture of two that aren't working. One of these two was working for a week or so now is doing the dumb impeller thing again.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...7/DSC01226.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...diyhousing.jpg
Old 10/11/2006, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

man i am really looking forward to building one of these even if it will be WAY too powerful for my 30" long tank... really i wanna build one to prove to myself that i can do it, and maybe ill make a 5.5 gallon sps tank with it ( i have a 5.5 laying around that i really have no use for... lol)

what page is the most recent build information on? do you guys recommend the mj mods kits or should i buy parts seperately? if seperately can i get the page number of the most recent proven parts list...

this mod rocks....
Old 10/11/2006, 07:10 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jamal-188
I've purchased a total of 4 mj mods from two different people and have a total of 1 working one. This is really frustrating...

The three that are not working the impeller just bounced back and forth making a terrible noise. I thought it was becasue the impellers were not centered but after 15 minutes of messing with it still can't get it to stop.

Here is a picture of two that aren't working. One of these two was working for a week or so now is doing the dumb impeller thing again.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...7/DSC01226.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...diyhousing.jpg

It could be a couple of things.

The prop maybe a bit too much for your pump to handle. How old is your pump and what size? For a Dumas 3004 I wouldn't use anything less than a MJ1200. Try sanding down the propeller a bit and see if that would help.

Also try adding a nylon washer or one of those Klapton washers that http://mjmods.com sells. The thrust washer seems to help a lot.

D.
Old 10/12/2006, 08:23 AM
Moved On

thanks for the fix ideas

Three of the mods are on 900's, the other is on a 1200. I can try sanding down the impeller but the two people that made these are very knowledgeable so I didn't think the build would be in issue.

I can try ordering a few of those klapton washers and see if that helps.
Old 10/12/2006, 10:25 AM
Moved On

well it might not be so much the builds themselves but perhaps your pump motors even. Get the washers first and see if that will help and all else failing, sand down the props.

D.
Old 10/12/2006, 11:02 AM
Moved On

Sorry, forgot to mention these are all new MJ's. Didn't want to run into problem with old motors or worn impellers. I"m gonna pick up a few washers and see what that does.

Thanks again
Chris
Old 10/12/2006, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Sorry if this has been asked previously on earlier posts...has any one tried to make a wave box using a Maxi-Stream, using the same operating principle as a Tunze Wave Box?

If you have tried making one, show us some pictures and tell us a little about it

- Michael
66 qt rubbermaid sump
Old 10/13/2006, 10:07 AM
Premium Member

I was under the impression that the tunze wave boxes pulsed the motor faster and slower (or even on and off?) in order to fill and empty the wave box multiple times per minute. The stream inside one of them is DC right? I imagine turning on and off a maxijet with enough frequency to create waves would mean a quick demise for the maxijet mod....

Now (again I'm not positive exactly how the wave boxes are built) but what if instead of pulsing the motor you used some type of sluice gate to alternatively fill and empty the box?

Or maybe thats how the tunze units work. Anyone have any first hand knowledge on their build?

-Z
Old 10/15/2006, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Maybe someone here can help me, as this thread has become soooooo damn long.....i m having problems with my mjmod starting in reverse, i hear that there is a stopper mod that is being used, does anyone have a direct link to some literature on that by chance. thanks in advance.
Old 10/16/2006, 08:48 AM
Premium Member

www.mjmods.com
http://www.mjmods.com/index.php?main...79daf7dc8ba935

The video doesnt expain the stopper, but the writtenn instructions do.

Chrismo
Old 10/17/2006, 10:05 PM
Premium Member

Hey Chrismo, I've watched your video and admittedley the mod seems easy to DIY but...

...excuse the ignorance but I would like to know the difference comparing the 3 options below:

1) MJMods: DIY for $35 parts + $20 for the MJ1200 and w/o magnet holder= $55 + DIY effort and possible noise problems.
If you add the sure grip magnet holder for $35 (3/4 thickness) you come up with a total of $90.

2) Reefdom.com: Parts for $60 + $20 for the MJ1200 and w/o magnet holder = $80
http://www.reefdom.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MAXIMODKIT

3) Tunze Turbelle nano stream 6045 for $96.63 with magnet holder.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...ode=Tunze_pumps

Wouldn't I be better off waiting for the Tunze?

Thanks for your input...
Old 10/17/2006, 10:18 PM
RC Sponsor

you are comparing a 1200 GPH pump with a 2000 GPH pump.
id say most people who do this mod already own the MJ and use the clip with that come with the stock MJ to hang it.

That aside, I think many people do the mod because they enjoy the DIY part of the hobby and it doesn't really matter if they save anything . They just like to say "I built that , isn't it neat" : )

Don't forget you can build one for less than $10 if ya want to do it all yourself and you already own a MJ.

That said . The new tunzes look great , if you are looking for a lower flow premade product go for it. IMHO money well spent : )
Old 10/18/2006, 06:06 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snarkys
you are comparing a 1200 GPH pump with a 2000 GPH pump.
id say most people who do this mod already own the MJ and use the clip with that come with the stock MJ to hang it.

That aside, I think many people do the mod because they enjoy the DIY part of the hobby and it doesn't really matter if they save anything . They just like to say "I built that , isn't it neat" : )

Don't forget you can build one for less than $10 if ya want to do it all yourself and you already own a MJ.

That said . The new tunzes look great , if you are looking for a lower flow premade product go for it. IMHO money well spent : )
I thought that 2000gph is an alleged flow rate that sounds good. Chrismo in his video describes it as an approximate rate. Have ou done or know of any actual testing done on the MJmods that will substantiate it? Doesn't it depend on prop size, rod type, etc.?

My priorities in making my decision on which way to go are:
A) Performance (flow rate / energy used, B) Durability (magnet holder not plastic cups), C) Esthetics (size).

The DIY part is only significant to me if I can build a better/custom mouse trap (even once).

Looking forward to your feedback on the validity of the 2000gph flow rate on the MJ mods.
Thanks again.
Old 10/18/2006, 07:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skydancer
Hey Chrismo, I've watched your video and admittedley the mod seems easy to DIY but...

...excuse the ignorance but I would like to know the difference comparing the 3 options below:

1) MJMods: DIY for $35 parts + $20 for the MJ1200 and w/o magnet holder= $55 + DIY effort and possible noise problems.
If you add the sure grip magnet holder for $35 (3/4 thickness) you come up with a total of $90.

2) Reefdom.com: Parts for $60 + $20 for the MJ1200 and w/o magnet holder = $80
http://www.reefdom.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MAXIMODKIT

3) Tunze Turbelle nano stream 6045 for $96.63 with magnet holder.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...ode=Tunze_pumps

Wouldn't I be better off waiting for the Tunze?

Thanks for your input...
While I like my MJMods (both of which I got from MJMods.com) I'm switching out to the Tunze when they come out. I've had some issues with mine being a bit touchy, but I'm not a DIY pro. But these will definately go in my frag tank. On my swirlerstein. =)

btw, I've never had noise issues. Just problems restarting correctly on one of mine. Oddly enough the other, built the same way, works fine.
Old 10/18/2006, 10:09 AM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by skydancer
I thought that 2000gph is an alleged flow rate that sounds good. Chrismo in his video describes it as an approximate rate. Have ou done or know of any actual testing done on the MJmods that will substantiate it? Doesn't it depend on prop size, rod type, etc.?

My priorities in making my decision on which way to go are:
A) Performance (flow rate / energy used, B) Durability (magnet holder not plastic cups), C) Esthetics (size).

The DIY part is only significant to me if I can build a better/custom mouse trap (even once).

Looking forward to your feedback on the validity of the 2000gph flow rate on the MJ mods.
Thanks again.
this when i tested it but you can find other people doing same test throughout the thread also. I have since repeated the test with a bunch of different shroud types on the dumas 3004 and they all came out at 1950-2000ish.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&pagenumber=20