Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/17/2002, 09:10 PM
Did I do that?

Talking Any Police officers here?

Just wondering how many folks here are in law enforcement. Im jumping thru the final hoops of becoming a police officer and was looking for some tips. Ive done the written test so far and have done my oral boards and I go before the city council monday night. If I do well with the city council I will get a conditional offer from the police dept. Testing started with 20 of us and the remaing 4 of us went to the oral boards and now it's between 1 other applicant and myself. Wish me luck.
Old 05/17/2002, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
looking for some tips.
Keep off the donuts.
Old 05/18/2002, 11:37 AM
Did I do that?

How did I know that was coming? Thanks for the tip.
Old 05/18/2002, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

I don't have any tips for you, but I wish you luck.

Andrew
Old 05/18/2002, 02:08 PM
Did I do that?

Thanks for the kind words Andrew.
Old 05/18/2002, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Good luck. Rewarding/challenging/frustrating career. Chicago cop for 6 years. Best advice. You're safety is always first, don't let the media's crap and public opinion get to you. This is one of 2 noble professions left on this earth. lastly, always remember the accomplishment and pride you will feel on you're graduation day. You'll have a blast. You'll experience things other people will never get to see. You'll see what reality is, not the crap the 5 o'clock news broadcasts. There's another world around you that was always there but you never see until you become a P.O. keep you're friends outside "the job". Talking about work gets old real fast. This job will change you as a person, so try to keep everything in perspective. Oh, one last thing. Don't take everything too seriously. We were all young and dumb in our lives at one point or another. Take care.
Old 05/18/2002, 03:42 PM
iceman716238
Unregistered

Seriously, don't abuse your power. Don't take crap. Stay calm in situations. Think before you act. Be friendly in your neighborhood. My father was a cop. It is dangerous at times so be careful.
Old 05/18/2002, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

i think Anemone is a cop
Old 05/18/2002, 06:16 PM
Did I do that?

Pete, thanks for the heads up, its good to hear from some who's been in it for a while. I know where your coming from when you say that it's rewarding/challenging/frustrating all in one. I've spent the last 7 years of my life in the Emergency Medical Services and I've had the opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life. I know that it will be a great job to have, Im really looking forward to getting back into the field although it will be as a PO.

Quote:
keep you're friends outside "the job".
Thats kinda funny, It seems like all my friends are either cops,paramedics or firefighters. I guess that comes with the trade. I kinda lost track with alot of my other friends after EMS and Im not really sure why. Talking about work does get old, I know. We usually just avoid the subject anymore and talk trash on each other. What a fun bunch of guys, Im not sure what I would do with out them.

Quote:
Seriously, don't abuse your power. Don't take crap. Stay calm in situations. Think before you act. Be friendly in your neighborhood. My father was a cop. It is dangerous at times so be careful.
I would never abuse the power, thats not why I want to do it. ITs something that will be personally fulfulling for me and my family. I would never forget who I am. Be friendly with the neighbors, thats a must I gotta live next door to them.

Thanks for all the words of encouragment, keep them coming.
Oh yeah, by getting the job I get the hell out of dispatch. Man do I ever hate it, Im stuck behind a desk all the time answering phones and sending others out into the action.
Old 05/18/2002, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

Vince,
Thank you and others who have chosen emergency services as a career. We depend on our medical, fire, and police more than most people realize until that call for help is made.

I've spent most of my life in law enforcement and the justice system, both military and civilian. Since you have already experienced the life as an EMT, there's not much I can add to what you already know. I will emphasize the need to put your family first and to have interests outside the law enforcement arena. I have known hundreds and hundreds of cops and the ones who are happiest are the family guys who have friends and interests in the community separate from the job. It keeps you balanced with both feet on the ground.

I'm not saying to completely separate yourself from the job.....you can't do that because it requires too much dedication and intensity. Your best friends will be the ones that share your daily challenges and with whom you have a bond that only officers in the line of duty can have. I have officer friends that I would trust with my life and vice versa because we have been there and done just that. But I also have close and dear friends that have no association with law enforcement but with whom I share other interests.

Pete's great post showed the insight that only comes from being there.

I wish you success with the selection Monday!
Dick
Old 05/19/2002, 11:49 AM
Did I do that?

FishDaddy, thank you for the words of wisdom.

Quote:
I will emphasize the need to put your family first and to have interests outside the law enforcement arena.
I agree, something that EMS taught me was that more than anything family is number one. I say that because over my career I saw many lives taken before there time, and I heard many people say "if I only had more time with them". I love my wife and son and they will always be number one in my eyes, more so than anything else.

Quote:
I wish you success with the selection Monday!
Thank you very much, you dont know what that meant to me.
Vince
Old 05/19/2002, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

9iron, good luck in your quest. I'm a street cop going on 28 years now. Love it. Would never change. I don't have any advice for you other to shmooze the council. I've worked 2 yrs small city and 2 yrs county (both were very "political"). Hope yours isn't, buuut. Don't quit trying. It took me twice to get on the highway patrol, where I work now (last 24.5 yrs). Don't give up and keep on trying. And when you do make it (I know you will), the one thing you always want to do, everyday, is to make sure you go home to the family at the end of the shift.
good luck, fsa
Old 05/19/2002, 01:58 PM
Did I do that?

Fsa, 28 years wow thats cool

Quote:
Don't give up and keep on trying. And when you do make it (I know you will), the one thing you always want to do, everyday, is to make sure you go home to the family at the end of the shift.
I woldnt ever think of giving up, its what I really want to do. I just cant figure out why it took me so long to get my arse in gear and actually do it. As for going home, thats my main concern. I have a wife and son that love me and I will do what it takes to make sure they have me untill Im an old old man. Thanks again for all the replies, keep them coming.
Vince
Old 05/19/2002, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Good luck 9 iron. I've been a deputy sheriff for 6 years now in California. I don't have much to add. Your primary objective is to go home everynight the same way you came to work - healthy and in 1 piece. Same rule applies for your partners. You need each other. There is always something to learn every day. Don't ever stop learning. There is more than 1 way to handle most calls. Use common sense. Know where you're at all times. Show compassion for your fellow citizens.Practice report writing before you go to the academy. Get in and stay in shape. Expect the unexpected. Realize this is a job. You can make a difference but don't expect to change the world. People out there hate you because you're a cop. People love you because you're a cop. Last but not least, it's show time and people watch, scrutinize and question what you do even if they don't have a clue about police work. You work in a fishbowl..
Old 05/19/2002, 11:02 PM
Did I do that?

wl1193, thanks for the reply.

Quote:
You can make a difference but don't expect to change the world.
How well I know this one, I remember being a "green" EMT and thought that we always saved everyone like we did in class. Boy was I ever wrong. Reality kinda stinks sometimes but I know thats just the way it really is in our world. I figure if I impact one persons life in a positive way then I have done my job well. Especially if its a kid, Its funny how I never realized how great they were untill Gunnar came along.

Quote:
Don't ever stop learning.
Like my old boss said, once you quit learnig its time to get out. And im sure hes right, its kinda neat to listen to the "old guys" they really seem to know what there talking about. (Dont tell my dad that though)

Thanks again all.
Vince
Old 05/22/2002, 01:55 PM
Moderator Clone

Weird how you come across certain threads - I was searching for a thread I read a while ago that mentioned brine shrimp hatching and "Life A" (a decapsulated liquid brine shrimp egg solution). So I searched for "Life A" and found this thread...

I've been a Sheriff's Deputy for 17 years (hey fsa, are you a DRE? I've done some DRE instructing with DPS guys...). Most of the advice you've gotten is good. Stay safe comes first, keeping your family together/commitments comes next. The suggestions to keep friends outside of law enforcement is a good one - you get too tightly wrapped into law enforcement and you become insulated from the "real" world. Keeping friends who aren't cops definitely helps you unwind from the cop world of negative media portrayals and the anti-cop attitude of many of the people you'll deal with on a daily basis (let's face it, who wants to get a ticket or get arrested?).

Most cases of major law enforcement corruption have started with insulated, out-of-touch cops stepping a little over the line, generally with the best intentions. Without some sort of reality check, these minor missteps lead to bigger and bigger outrages, until you have organized groups of officers committing burglaries, major cash or narcotic thefts, or assaulting and framing suspects.

These cops, who give all of law enforcement a black eye, didn't start out with the intent to become major criminals, they just lost touch with reality somewhere along the line. Keeping friends outside "the job" can help keep one in touch with reality, as well as make you more compassionate in your job.

It's a great job, and the rewards immense. Unfortunately, the things you see and have to deal with on a daily basis can jade and harden you. Once again, connections outside law enforcement can help soften this effect.

When all is said and done, it's well worth it. Good luck.

Kevin

PS - anyone know anything about raising brine shrimp in an Aqua Breed hatchery, using Life A and Plancto?

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 05/22/2002, 03:49 PM
Did I do that?

Thanks Anemone for that heartfelt and wise response. It seems like Im hearing pretty much the same thing from all of you coppers. I will do my best to be safe, and I wont let anything for any reason come between my family and myself. I know that my wife and son are a gift from God and I am blessed by having them.

Thanks to all who replied
Vince

BTW, I receieved my conditional hire offer today from the PD so I guess the city council must have liked me as well.
Old 05/22/2002, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

CONGRATULATIONS, VINCE!!!
Way to go! I've been wondering how it came out. With your attittude and experience, you should make a fine officer!
Dick
Old 05/22/2002, 08:06 PM
Reefer

Quote:
PS - anyone know anything about raising brine shrimp in an Aqua Breed hatchery, using Life A and Plancto? [/B]
Kevin, you got PM.
Old 05/22/2002, 08:49 PM
Did I do that?

Thanks Fishdaddy,
When I talked to the PD today and found out that I was given the conditional offer for employment all I could say was "Thank you Thank you". I felt like a dork afterwords but hey I was speechless for once in my life.

Old 05/22/2002, 11:48 PM
Moved On

several PO's in the family, including 2 in the chicago department...

got involved in it when i was young, just 22 and fresh from college. it was a family thing....anyway, i found it extemely political to the point it made me puke. anyone that knows me knows i can't stand playing political games. it was a short lived career.

so now i sell drugs for a living (legal ones ).

congrats on the job. hope you don't have to deal with as much BS as i did.

henry
Old 05/23/2002, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

9Iron, congrats, hope things work out.
Anemone, nope not a DRE. I've just, last October, transferred from Commercial Vehicle Enforcement back to chasing 4 wheelers. Did CVE for 16 years, with about 15 of it in Flagstaff. Part of my responsibilities was doing Haz/Mat responses and Clan Lab responses. Really glad to be out of that now.

hc, can understand about local politics. When I worked my first two years as a policeman for a small town here in AZ, I received a 5 day suspension for being rude and discourteous to the public. In my heart, I know that it was for writing the city attorney, a town councilman and an ex-mayor tickets. It's been a long and satisfying career, all to the same loving wife. Couldn't have done it without her.
Old 05/23/2002, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Retired off the job for several years now, one of the nicest things that I heard about myself was one night taking a break and talking to the kids next to me. After I told them my name there commit was " Oh so your Peters, we have heard that you are fair but don't give you any s*** or you will get taken out the vent window of your car."

To me I was glad for that rep. Treat everyone fairly and you will be respected.

Remember we all have skeletons in the closet.

Hope you make it. Best of luck.
Old 05/24/2002, 07:07 AM
Guardian of Little People

Henry, I think "politics" play a part in any career you choose. As they say, its not what you know, its who you know

Brian

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 05/26/2002, 01:43 AM
sir reefalot
Unregistered

I respect the police, despite my alternative views on some laws.
Hope this is not percieved wrongly....