Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Possibly upgrading tank. Who builds custom glass tanks?

I'm possibly going to have a new tank built and I'm looking for someone in the area. I want a 180g glass tank with starphire glass for the front. Dimensions will be 48x36x24. It'll have an internal overflow with about 8 holes drilled for closed loop system. Is there someone in the area that builds tanks for a reason price? TIA
20g sump 10g fuge
90lbs. LR
120lbs. LS
2 Clown~3 Chromis~1 Yellow Watchman~1 Purple Fire Fish~1 Scooter Blenny
Old 12/12/2007, 06:45 PM
T5 Reefer

FYI Oceanic makes some new tanks that are Starphire front. There was one at Phishy Business the day of the CORA frag swap that was a 5 foot 178g.
I'll bet Dan or Greg could get them for you also. I was just thinking that a standard dimension tank would save lots of money on your end. Although the dimensions you are talking about sounds pretty cool. It does sound like a lighting problem unless you plan to use about 15-20 36" T5 turned so they run front to back.

Here's the Oceanic Ultimate Line.

GlassCages.com can build a Starphire tank and they will be in Cleveland on Jan 14th. They allow pick up from the shows so you could probably have one made and delivered to Cleve or Columbus in Jan.

Good Luck!
-- Kevin
Old 12/12/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

The reason why I need a tank that is 48 wide is because I have a custom built in wall tank. I was thinking of ordering from GC as well, but there is a thread posted about their horrible service. Then again, that was on an acrylic tank.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1171533

What are they coming to Cleveland for?
20g sump 10g fuge
90lbs. LR
120lbs. LS
2 Clown~3 Chromis~1 Yellow Watchman~1 Purple Fire Fish~1 Scooter Blenny
Old 12/12/2007, 07:13 PM
T5 Reefer

Dunno... its on their site at the top. Where it says Delivery Schedule.

Last edited by itZme; 12/12/2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12/12/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Hey Kevin,
How did the Oceanic tank look? Would you say it was as good as say an AO tank or better like a ELOS tank? Dan.
Old 12/12/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

A lot of people from Ohio have Aquarium obsessed tanks. There is also Miracles in Canada too. I was told by the guy with the greenhouse down in Columbus that he has a contact for tank builder down his way. I can't think of the name of the guy right now though, sorry.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:16 PM
T5 Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by mike660r
I was told by the guy with the greenhouse down in Columbus that he has a contact for tank builder down his way.
The owner of Reef Systems is Todd. I don't know about the guy down there that builds tanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by purplereef
Hey Kevin,
How did the Oceanic tank look? Would you say it was as good as say an AO tank or better like a ELOS tank? Dan.
I didn't see anything that looked fancy or special on the tank. It kinda just looked like an AGA tank but it was a bit clearer just sitting there empty. I would love to see one all set up. I think Oceanic tanks are built well. You won't find any outrageous custom sizes from them though.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

If you are willing to drive and pick up the tank, there is a place in Detroit that makes custom tanks. The prices are really good.
There website needs updated and they are in the process of doing that, however if you send the guy an email or call them, they can do pretty much anything.

They built me a 25 x 25 x 25, starphire on two sides, built in overflow for around $250.

Here is the website: http://www.greatlakesaquariums.com/index.html

kevin