Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 03:22 PM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
Quote:
I really don't hold lighting as important as my filtration component. I have seen many corals do well under many types of lighting schemes, but the one thing in common with all great tanks is a wicked filtration plan. I was almost tempted just to go with t-5 bulbs.
I agree that water quality is the most important component to a successful tank...but that doesn't mean that lighting isn't important either.

Good quality reflectors can have a huge effect on your lighting...that's all. Again, didn't mean to offend, or imply that using those reflectors will lead your tank down a path of certain doom...just an observation.

Good Luck with your tank.
Old 01/07/2008, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

I hear what you are saying, but lighting to me is really secondary.

Things that constant in the wild where corals thrive:
1)Low Nutrient Water
2)Water Motion
3)Stable temperature
4)Foam On the Surf-line(Protein Skimming)

Things that variable in the wild
Sunlight Lighting

I feel that corals can adapt to many different lighting intensities. Probably that's why there are some awesome tanks with high light Acropora using t-5 lighting. My lighting is still pretty strong but I don't place too much confidence in the fancy reflectors as of yet. I'll see how the tank progresses, then make changes from there.
Old 01/07/2008, 05:37 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by druluv
I'm fiddling with the tank, and its getting me annoyed. This tank is going to be a permanent fixture in the house. I think I rather eat the cost on this tank, and invest in a new tank.

I'm going to work with MiraclesAquariums for the perfect tank. I have so much work to do on my canopy and stand I could wait for the right tank.

Please help me with the right options so I get it right this time Any any input would be greatly appreciated!

48L X 18W X 25H
I need these dimensions because it fits perfectly in the house.

Here are my options so far:

1) External Over-Flow -
Inside the overflow
I" hole to Refugium
2 (1") holes to sump
3/4" hole for return
3/4" Closed Loop Feed

2) Calfo Style Weir OverFlow - Return to middle of the tank

3) 4 Holes Drilled in the front bottom (OM Squirt)

4) Euro-Brace w Black Silicone

Should I go rimless?

Please, Please, Please see if I miss anything.

Many eyes see many things

Thanks Again
I didn't see this post earlier...

Rimless looks great, but it is a little annoying when you clean the glass and splash water over the edge. Some have added euro-bracing after the fact just to prevent that splashing. Euro-bracing also helps keep fish swimming along the edge from jumping out, as they are deflected back into the water immediately.

A full width overflow would be ideal, because then you can have as many drains as you like within it.

If you make the overflow external, then figure out a way to make it invisible so you don't see it through the tank. I hate seeing it, and its silicone joint. A black acrylic panel inside the back will hide it, but it makes the combined wall thicker and thus tougher to mount stuff magnetically.

Holes in the bottom always scare me, because when they leak your entire system is at risk. People have done it, but they've also posted when they had to crawl under there to make a correction and get a bath in the process. Or have to empty their reef out to fix it from above.
Old 01/07/2008, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Melev for the input.

I'm going with a Euro brace tank then, splashing water out of tank is not cool.

I actually spoke with Derek on the overflow, and he suggested a 40" overflow weir, that can also come out for cleaning.

With the invisible overflow, I sent a email over to Derek (Miracles Aquariums) to make sure it gets done.

With the holes, I feel the same too, however, the piping over the back with an external overflow would be to sloppy. Is there any way to seal the bulkheads on the bottom to prevent leaks? I know that a rock slide may cause problems with those holes.

Hey Melev, how do you like the Sfiligoi Xenus Wavemaker ? It looks like a cool toy, your thoughts
Thanks Again! I know its only a 90, but you guys are really helping me out!
Old 01/07/2008, 06:58 PM
TRC Leader

I'm not familiar with that wavemaker, sorry. Sounds expensive.

Bulkheads can be securely installed, but it or the plumbing can leak. It is a hole in your tank. Anything can happen. We just hope it doesn't.

Or we don't do it in the first place to reduce the things Murphy can screw with.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

you have that wave maker on your site
Old 01/07/2008, 07:19 PM
TRC Leader

Prove it.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:11 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

druluv I know people are saying otherwise but let me tell you something. Yeeaaars ago I used to keep sps under PC lighting very successfully till that tank crashed when I left town for a week and 4 snails died and were not removed. ANYHOW as numerous articles state people thing that thse corals need light from god, that is just not so. Depending on the variety some live as deep as 40ft where lighting is just before actinic or around 460nm.

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

It's not a bike if it's not over a liter
Old 01/07/2008, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

http://melevsreef.com/video/macnaxviii_motion.wmv

Its the first wavemaker on your video, You owe me a sump lol
Old 01/07/2008, 10:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
You owe me a sump lol
Heh, cracked me up. Hmmmm... Is that all it take to get a free sump? Off to Melev's I go...
Old 01/08/2008, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

I have those reflectors over a 75 about 5-6 inches off the surface and I don't notice any hotspots (not arguing if they are there, just that aren't visible to my eye). Of course mine is a 75 not a 90, that probably makes a difference. I will probably upgrade them at some point but lighting is no longer the weak link on my setup, 230 for reflectors can go elsewhere for now.

Good luck on your goal to get TOTM. Personally I don't care what people think of my tank I just enjoy the hobby and my little slice of the ocean.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm actually going to run 2 double ended 250 watt HQI bulbs. However, I feel that a get more spectrum choices with ho bulbs.
2 Phoenix 250 bulbs in those crappy reflectors completely mask 2x54 (blue plus/actinic) T5s with good (icecap) reflectors. You barely notice they are on and I suspect 2x250 would have no problems masking 4x54 reasonably well. Who knows. Maybe overdriving the T5s would make them show up more but then the shimmer would be less pronounced.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:15 AM
Premium Member

HELLO!!!!! Why hasnt anyone mentioned that April 07 TOTM was an 8 gallon nano?

Good luck with the build. There are a ton of other guys with the same dream on this site. Click on my red house..... you have a long way to catch up.

Old 01/08/2008, 03:13 AM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

one thing I need to mention and stress....keep your glass CLEAN. Even the back. use a razor when you need to. As far as overflows go your best bet is to have them covered by rocks. You'll do fine man keep it up.

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

It's not a bike if it's not over a liter
Old 01/08/2008, 04:14 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
http://melevsreef.com/video/macnaxviii_motion.wmv

Its the first wavemaker on your video, You owe me a sump lol
Ah, that's not the same as what I expected. That was something I saw at MACNA, not something I've used. You got me though.

It is a nice paddle machine that makes ripples for T5 tanks, but it won't create flow down low in the tank. It only affects the top few inches.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

So far working with Derek from Miracles has been uplifting. His tanks are pricey but at least you get want you want, and he offers good sugesstions to make tank even better. To me the tank is the most important part of this quest. If the tank itself looks wack, it can throw off the whole look of the tank.

So far, I'm going with

40" Wide Weir External Overflow with black vinyl

In the overflow box:
2 (2 1/2") To first chamber to sump
1 (2 1/2") To Refugium
1 (3/4") Return
1 (1 1/2") Closed Loop Feed Hole

Tank:
Starphire Front & Side Panels
3" Euro Brace
4 Holes in the front
1 (1 1/2") Closed Loop Feed

I may add some holes on the front top of the euro brace for top of the tank flow.

With the Xenus wavemaker, the top ripples may be a good idea. Those ripples resemble the same ripples you see at sea. However, I was most impress with the Vortex pumps. I know they have been having production problems, are these issues resolved as of yet?
Old 01/08/2008, 11:21 AM
Psuedo Member

I think I saw your tank and stand on the glasscages truck this weekend. did you pickup in whiteplains? I was able to get my 90g starfire w/calfo overflow from GC with good results. I like the seems (very clean) and although I wanted an external and was turned down by tom I still am very happy with the tank. I too looked into getting a tech tank but decided that 300 extra was too much for black silicon and a eurobrace I wont even see (just me).

I do like your new plans for a 40" external OF and I think it fits your plans on most expensive 90g ever constructed ;-) . Im sure it will look nice and wish you GL on this very ambitious goal.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

With the details of the tank complete; I have to wait about 6 weeks to get the tank.

So I wanted to start working the flow out. I want violent but gentle alternating water motion. So far my plan is for 2 Wave2k Units, One Tunze Wave Box, and 1 OM Squirt on the four holes on the bottom.

The wave2k units are providing realistic front to back wave action

The Tunze wavebox provides left to right wave action. It actually doesn't really produce waves like the wave2k box, but it tilts the water like a seesaw or teeter-totter.

OM Squirt provides alternating flows but no real wave action. The squirt's job is to provide bottom front current. I plan to use black foam on the water exit 45 pvc to make it look like rock work. Maybe attach a couple of mushrooms around the foam to really hide it.

The goal is to attempt to hide all flow equipment and any piping. The Wave2k units are thin black boxes and will blend in with the black back ground. I can foam parts of the box to add even more texture. The motor is the only thing that sticks out, but with a canopy on top of the tank, you won't see it. The wave2k box is the real superstar of this tank, but it is injury prone. I'm working with Micheal (Owner of the Wave2k box comany) to make sure these boxes work well. Each box can dish out a hefty wide surge of 4000 gal per hour. And this surge is top and bottom. My old tank looked the best when these boxes were working well.

Tunze wave box will be on the back corner of the tank. With no internal overflow,this box will be easy to hide. At worst it will look like a corner overflow, but with a little foam for texture and some nicely placed rock work it should blend in nicely.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stevedola
I think I saw your tank and stand on the glasscages truck this weekend. did you pickup in whiteplains? I was able to get my 90g starfire w/calfo overflow from GC with good results. I like the seems (very clean) and although I wanted an external and was turned down by tom I still am very happy with the tank. I too looked into getting a tech tank but decided that 300 extra was too much for black silicon and a eurobrace I wont even see (just me).

I do like your new plans for a 40" external OF and I think it fits your plans on most expensive 90g ever constructed ;-) . Im sure it will look nice and wish you GL on this very ambitious goal.
It most likely was me. I was horrified when I saw the tank. The tank would be perfect for a rookie just starting out. The tank is well built and is very clean and the glass is very clear (no green tint). It would make a solid softie tank. However, my flow setup would not work with this tank.

I haven't seen the tech tanks, but I think they use the same AGA overflow configuration. If so, the tech tank would not work for me either.

My philosophy is to get the best tank you can afford and get the tank to fit the space provided, not the other way around. The object is to make the tank fit in with the decor of the house while supplying eye candy for the advance reefer. A 90 gallon gives me enough space to do what I want, plus keeps the supporting equipment small. A smaller tank is also easier to maintain than a bigger tank. However, I do understand smaller tank's water quality can change very quickly. In some cases bigger is not always better.

The price of an expensive tank with all the features you want is well worth its weight in gold. This is the tank you will view everyday regardless of the livestock contained within the glass. Lets face it, reefing is very expensive, and luckily for the frugal reefer, there are many options now available, because competion is driving the cost down. Why skimp on the tank or settle for something you don't like? This was my first experience buying a tank online. My eyes got big for starphire glass, and forgot to ask for the minor details that would of made my tank special.

It maybe the most expensive 90 gallon, but its the tank I want
Old 01/08/2008, 12:20 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

I think you are going to have a heck of a time getting a nice aquascape with all the stuff you are putting in the tank.

2 wave 2ks and a wave box are going to take up a lot of realestate.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:39 PM
Psuedo Member

I wasnt trying to come across harsh. I really like the plans for your new tank just not something I personally would spend for my tank. Hope for you nothing but good luck.

ps-tech tanks have low profile OFs that are half as deep(front to back) than that of the regular style OFs. They still stretch the height of the tank and is one reason I dont like them. I personally think an external or horizontal calfo style OF is the best but thats my opinion.

Jeremy, Ive seen a wavebox on a 65 and 90 and your right. its a big unit and they tried to hide it but to no avail. My suggestion would be do ditch the wavebox idea and just have the closed loop on OM.

druluv, last I heard they were still having production issues with the vortechs.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

I know you werent trying to harsh.

I have the tunze wave box on a 55g and looks like a corner over flow. The wave2k are long but only takes up 3" of width.

The tunze will be place in the most unview corner. I'll see how it looks, then changed a needed.

Any one likes the controllable mini tunze streams?
Old 01/08/2008, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

I know you werent trying to harsh.

I have the tunze wave box on a 55g and looks like a corner over flow. The wave2k are long but only takes up 3" of width.

The tunze will be place in the most unview corner. I'll see how it looks, then changed a needed.

Any one likes the controllable mini tunze streams?
Old 01/08/2008, 01:35 PM
Psuedo Member

I have the 45s and like them but they have issues as well-much of it has been cleared up and what ever isnt Roger takes care of (great CS). Since you have the controller its prolly a good option to look into.I like the controllability of the 55s and theyre small and positionable. 4 of them wouldnt be cheap but would give good flow and youd be able to get a nice current/wave.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:33 PM
TRC Leader

What production issues are you both referring to as regards the VorTechs? Im running three on my tank and love them. I even posted a full review on my website last month, which was included in our club's newsletter this month.

Plus, when you have these, you have an excuse to install an acrylic mirror in your fish room.

Congrats on your new tank, it sounds like it will be perfect.