Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/27/2007, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

Unhappy I can’t believe it, but it’s time for me to take a break

I can’t believe this day has come for me, but I’m seriously considering leaving my passion for awhile. This feels more like a blog than a thread, but I guess I feel like you, my fellow reefers can relate. Work has been taking a huge toll on me. My businesses have been taking off of late. Between that and the remaining time I need to devote to my wife and two little boys, I just can’t devote the time I need to my reef system. And the last thing I want is for my fish and corals to suffer. I am very meticulous and anal with my system. I religiously perform weekly water changes and test to make sure my parameters are up to par. I’m not really into other pets like dogs and cats, but I take care of my tank like a person would do with a warm blooded pet. I considered having my tank serviced professionally, but I’m afraid that they won’t be able to maintain an advanced SPS system; or worse won’t care and/or maintain the tank like I would.

I don’t know, I guess I’m hoping maybe you guys can convince me otherwise, but I’m 90% certain I need to take a step back for awhile until things are settled back down again. What do you guys think? Should I risk getting my tank serviced? Anyway, thanks for letting me vent a little.
Old 06/27/2007, 10:01 PM
Fish Addict

Just don't let it get pushed to my extreme. that open spot in my living room depresses me. Course it may not be my living room for long so....
Old 06/27/2007, 10:15 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
i say sell your SPS and run a fowlr tank for a while.. you can always get back into SPS again later......

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 06/27/2007, 10:16 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
Quote:
Originally posted by moonpod
Just don't let it get pushed to my extreme. that open spot in my living room depresses me. Course it may not be my living room for long so....

You moving Chuck?

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
It's Domo-kun

We all want the best for our tanks, so we spend lots of time and money. Get the best stuff, do the best work. So my recommendation to you, in that spirit: quit your job, get a divorce, and take care of your reef! The irresponsibility of some people here amazes me.....

More seriously, dibs on some stuff you're gonna sell : )

Even more seriously, a lot of people have largely automated their tanks. You might want to consider some more automation. If you are heavily stocked, maybe thin it out some so it requires less vigilance to maintain health. There are a lot of options before you drop out.
Premium Member

Actually Chuck, that's exactly where I'm afraid I'm headed.

Are you moving?
Old 06/27/2007, 10:24 PM
Fish Addict

me maybe. The rest of the family no.
Old 06/27/2007, 10:28 PM
Moved On

How long do you need it serviced for? I can service it for a while until things settle down. I was in a similar predicament before and I know how terrible it is. Also you can look around for top quality services. I know there are some service guys who care just as much about the tanks they service if not more than the owners of tanks. Like me for example, haha. I work for a lfs and I do special tank services as well as special projects for the store. I could service your tank in exchange for frags or whatever. I can't get paid for it because I think that's against my contract or something.
Old 06/27/2007, 10:36 PM
It's Domo-kun

For professional service, you might want to talk to Santa Monica Aquarium (SMB at Federal). I think they do service, and their tanks are awesome! Probably expensive tho.
Old 06/27/2007, 10:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moonpod
me maybe. The rest of the family no.
ouch. I'm sorry to hear about that Chuck. Although my situation is not as extreme, I need to keep the wife happy so I don't get there. My problem is more with work and my kids. It was actually easier for me when they were babies because my wife and our nanny would take care of them, but now they are getting a little older - I feel I need to be a lot more involved with them.

Everyone else, thanks for the tips and offer for maintancing, but my work situation is not going to be temporary. Like they say, better busy than not...and by they, I mean my wife.
Old 06/27/2007, 11:15 PM
Wet-fingered Reefer

Don't feel bad...family always comes first. You can always return to the hobby once the kids are older. They only grow up once and you'll never get that time back.

It was not until my boys got into middle school and started having interests of their own when I got back into this hobby. They are now away in college....they grow up too fast.
Old 06/27/2007, 11:23 PM
Moved On

You might want to scale down your tank.
Old 06/27/2007, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

scaling down the tank is probably more chores as well.
Here's what i say Wayne:

Trim down on livestock. Get rid of fast growing common corals, or more expendable pieces. Keep your show pieces only. Same on the fish, the less fish you have the less things you worry about things going wrong. A fish has a much larger impact on a system than a coral does, especially the negative part. Keep your prize fish and get rid of the rest.
Cutting down your livestock down will reduce the demands of the tank. the less demands the less work.
Increase automation, and start training a keeper for your tank, be it your neighbour, your friend, the lady of the house. Share the load and hobby with your family, they will appreciate the hobby a little more and have a better awareness of a underwater world that exists thousands of miles away.
Frag your collector pieces and give them to friends (or sell) as backup.
Old 06/28/2007, 12:35 AM
prememum member

Quote:
Originally posted by ezcompany

Frag your collector pieces and give them to friends (or sell) as backup.
That's what I do, I have a friend with the same type of tank. I hook him up with the equipment deals and free frags from my tank so I can have a brood stock incase somthing happens to my tank. We both win!
Old 06/28/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

Also consider that your kids soon will enjoy and love the tank :-)
Old 06/28/2007, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H.a.Z
Also consider that your kids soon will enjoy and love the tank :-)
Let's hope they don't love the tank so much that they figure out a way to share their bowl of Cheerios with the pretty fishies.

All jokes aside, your kids only grow up once. If you feel that your tank is taking you away from your kids, it may be best to step back for a little while. My brother and sis-in-law practically gave up everything to spend time with my nephews, and I don't think they regret it one bit. I'm sure you've put so much into your tank that it will be painful to let it go. Just remember that you can come back whenever you are ready to do so, and I'm sure most of the people here on RC will still be around to welcome you back with open arms. Only you know what's best for you and your family. Good luck!!
Old 06/28/2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

Double post

Last edited by KWoo008; 06/28/2007 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06/28/2007, 01:44 AM
Premium Supreme Member

I say you automate the crap outta the tank. So you only need to service it like once a month. Get a RK2, and all the techie stuff. Setup an automatic water change system. calcium reactor, phosphate reactor, and all that stuff. I would also get rid of most or if not all of the fish. Let the tank grow with corals.
Old 06/28/2007, 02:19 AM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

Quote:
I would also get rid of most or if not all of the fish. Let the tank grow with corals.
I like this idea. I had a small tank with only corals before, and maintenance would have been a breeze if not for that needy dendro.
Old 06/28/2007, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

Hey everyone. Thanks for advice and taking the time to read this thread.

Well after talking about it with my wife and sleeping on it, I have decided to take a break from this hobby for a while. I especially appreciated glaudds' comment and do see myself getting back when my boys get older.

So I'll soon be slowly posting my livestock for sale, then my drygoods.

Thanks again everyone.

~ W
Old 06/28/2007, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

Wayne, Over the last year, I have enjoyed your coral photos and taste in fish. I hate to see you go but at least you have vowed to return!

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 06/28/2007, 11:05 AM
Premium Member

I agree with Greg, I'm sure you'll come back better than ever
Old 06/28/2007, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

hate to see another great reefer gone. but you will be back, reefing is a drug.
Old 06/28/2007, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

Too bad your last comment wasn't your latest comment because:

lowbudget
Registered Member

"hate to see another great reefer gone. but you will be back, reefing is a drug."

Coincidence? I think not...

And Wayne, as long as you sell the livestock to people in this forum, I'm sure no one will mind contributing to you setting up your tank again when you do decide to come back!
Old 06/28/2007, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

What a sad thread.

Sorry to hear about your situation Chuck.

Wayne,

I'd automate the tank with a LM3. I'd have it manage the top off and do automatic water changes. I'd setup I'd also reduce the livestock both corals and fish.

One thing I have noticed is that when kids grow up in homes with fish tanks, they tend to be observant and sharper. They also tend to be less hyper.