Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/16/2002, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

Hi!

It's been a long, long time since I have posted on RC. Just wanted to pop in and say 'Howdy"

Things at work have been busy, we've gotten into parrots now as well as our fish, have had a couple of crashes of our smaller tanks and lost some stuff, have decided to cut back a little on tanks and just keep the monster 200 and maybe one small (37) going, and, oh yeah, in approximately 6 months I'm going to be a Grandma!!!

I haven't looked at the reefkeeping sites yet, just wanted to check out the Lounge and my personal messages. I am truly heart broken to hear about Jim Hobbs. He was truly a great guy and somebody who was always helpful and good for a laugh. He was one of the old timers and someone who will always be missed.

I hope you all are well and that the tanks are going great. I'll try to not be such a stranger.

hugs- Laurie aka Fishwife.

Ouch, what's that burning sensation in my finger tips? Is it nematocysts? Is it electricity? NOOO! It's...PAPERCUTS!!!
Old 08/16/2002, 12:42 PM
Reefer

Thumbs up

Hi Fishwife! Nice to hear from you. What kind of bird did you get? I have a 10 y.o. Green naped lorie, "Hoppie". He's a real nutcase, demands my attention. I hope you spend lots of time with your new pet. They can be great companions.

Keep in touch

Hoppie picture
Old 08/16/2002, 12:47 PM
Pulling my hair out

Hey Laurie...good to hear from you!

Chris
Old 08/16/2002, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Hi 3 Hi - We got a Cape parrot back in March and have just added a Red Belly to the flock. They are both doing great - spoiled stinking rotten. The Cape, Ayo, likes to "help" me feed the fish. haha, one of these days, she is going to wind up taking a little swim if she isn't careful.

Lories are very beautiful. Are they loud? I know they require a nectar diet but don't know much else about them since there don't seem to be many available around here.

We are going to be babysitting 3 nearly weaned African Greys and a 1 year old Cape this next week while our friend, we got our birds from her, goes on vacation. This should be interesting. All of the greys except one are spoken for. My husband loves Greys so we'll see if it goes or stays with us when the time comes.

Laurie

Ouch, what's that burning sensation in my finger tips? Is it nematocysts? Is it electricity? NOOO! It's...PAPERCUTS!!!
Old 08/16/2002, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Hey Q!!! How's the Missus? Any little Qs in the works? How's the puppy? Have you talked to Coralhound lately?

Laurie

Old 08/16/2002, 01:01 PM
Pulling my hair out

Mis is doin real good...no lil Q's running around yet, but I'm doing my part so I imagine it isn't that far off The pup is doing great, growing like the weed she is LOL. I haven't talked to CoralHound lately, I imagine he's as busy as I am, or more so. The birds look neat, but I think between the puppy, cats & fish, we've got enough of a zoo going on right now

Chris
Old 08/16/2002, 09:01 PM
Premium Member

We love our Gray, what a great bird. We are also the owners of a very very beautiful Moluccan Cockatoo and a sunshine Conure. All of them have been fun and are great pets.

I highly recommend the gray, I swear this bird has the intelligence of a 4th grader.
Old 08/16/2002, 09:54 PM
Premium Member

Hi Laurie,

Good to hear from you! We got a female Solomon Island Eclectus about 20 months ago. What a handful...and people think reef tanks are a handful!! Don't be a stranger!
Old 08/17/2002, 08:52 AM
10 & Over Club

Hey stranger!

Good to see you back on the board

Lories are noisy, but no more than the rest Great little birds. Had one in a store once that loved to run circles around the cage, you know, up the sides, across the top and down again

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 08/17/2002, 10:55 AM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishwife
Hi 3 Hi - We got a Cape parrot back in March and have just added a Red Belly to the flock. They are both doing great - spoiled stinking rotten. The Cape, Ayo, likes to "help" me feed the fish. haha, one of these days, she is going to wind up taking a little swim if she isn't careful.

lol My Lorikeet loves the tanks too. A while back he actually tried to bath in the FO tank a but a clown trigger scared him off.

He likes this roost.

http://www.msnusers.com/MarksReefPho...oto&PhotoID=57

Moments later he was hanging from the tubing playing, going nuts. Once he pooped in a powerstrip and tripped the GFCI. I try to keep him off the tank but he's fascinated by it.

Lories are very beautiful. Are they loud? I know they require a nectar diet but don't know much else about them since there don't seem to be many available around here.

He's no church mouse. But they're not capable of the deafening screams of the larger birds. He's very active, imagine a bird with the personality of a kitten, that's a Lorie.

We are going to be babysitting 3 nearly weaned African Greys and a 1 year old Cape this next week while our friend, we got our birds from her, goes on vacation. This should be interesting. All of the greys except one are spoken for. My husband loves Greys so we'll see if it goes or stays with us when the time comes.

O-oh. You and the fishhubby will fall in love with them. Great birds!

Laurie [/B]
Old 08/17/2002, 11:49 PM
Reef tinkerer

Hey Laurie! Good to hear from you!
Old 08/20/2002, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

Smile

Hey Guys - I've missed you all so much.

Yeah, everybody who keeps birds knows they're a real handful but so worth it. I love to watch our tanks but the parrots are so interactive and sooooo intelligent.

I'm going to keep popping in, I've didn't realize how much I've missed this bunch of folks.

Laurie