Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum

Old 12/30/2007, 03:43 PM
Team RC Member

My testing of Salt mixes

Before I post my list, a few disclaimers.

I tested all of the salts in the same manner and with the same test kits. The only popular salt I haven't tested is Red Sea Coral Reef. Maybe next month.

A little crude but something should be said for consistency.

I did not use weights but simply mixed all of these salts to 1.0264 or 35 ppt according to MY refractometer at a temp of 79 degrees.

I did notice that some salts need less than others to get to 35 ppt. But thats a story for another day.

I also noticed some salt mixes dissolved faster than others. Again a story for another day.

This is meant to be a general guide for those looking for the right salt mix for their tank. As I have always said, everyones tank is different depending on inhabitants and consumption rates.

The cost per gallon is generally judged by mixing at 1.024 in the hobby. Adjustments should be made for 1.0264 or 35 ppt. I know this should not be the standard but it is what it is.

This is just a guide and I do not want a big long thread disputing my findings. This is just a guide. I think you'll find it informative.

Calcium Alk Mag

Instant Ocean 350 12 1070
Coralife 560 9 1380
Oceanic 580 8.5 1650
Aquatic Gardens (Petco) 430 8 1240
Red Sea 400 8 1300
Seachem Reef Salt 540 10 1450
Kent 540 11 1200
Tropic Marin 375 10 1230
Tropic Marine Pro Reef 450 8.5 1380
Reef Crystals (used to be) 420 12 1260
We'll wait to see what shakes out of the RC situation.
Old 12/30/2007, 04:00 PM
Charleston Reefer

I might have to try out seachem....

Thanks for the info. Too bad new RC is not what it used to be.....
Old 12/30/2007, 04:00 PM
Generic Member

Thanks Billy. It is surprising how high the ca is in several of those mixes.
Old 12/30/2007, 04:03 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Wow, excellent test. Thanks for taking the time and cost to do this. I had a feeling that Reef Crystals ran high on alk. I havenet added and alk for the last 2 buckets just calcium.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 12/30/2007, 04:06 PM
Team RC Member

I was originally going to include cost per gallon in my analysis. But I quickly realized that not all salt mixes require the same amount of salt to get to 1.0264.

Again, I believe this is all based on 1.024 which most manufacturers seem to state. That said, as long as I have the figures, I'll post them.

IO - 23 cents per gallon
RC - 25 cents
Coralife - 24 cents
Oceanic - 20 cents (go figure)
Aquatic Gardens - 23 cents
Red Sea - 22 cents
Seachem Reef - 25 cents
Kent - 23 cents
Tropic Marin - 29 cents
Tropic Marin Pro - 32 cents
Old 12/30/2007, 04:12 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by USC-fan
I might have to try out seachem....

Thanks for the info. Too bad new RC is not what it used to be.....
Seachems reef salt seems to have pretty good numbers for those that don't like to supplement.

sjm, many reefers like the high calcium in some of those listed. Their tanks consume it pretty rapidly.

Engine, many salt mixes purposely have high alk to offset the daily alkalinity loss in a tank. Pretty normal IMO.
Old 12/30/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Wow! Thank you very much Billy for testing and posting the results. Great info. to have.
Old 12/30/2007, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for posting this.

Note that SeaChem Reef (and regular) also have high borate that can through off the alkalinity readings. But overall it's one of the better ones IMO. I would use a SeaChem Alkalinity test kit vs. some others if you are using close to 100% Seachem salt.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2002/chem.htm

Here is an exert from Randy's article:

However, if the boron level is substantially above natural levels, as it is in the Seachem salt mix with 12x normal levels, borate can actually begin to dominate such tests, 19 and makes knowing the real bicarbonate and carbonate alkalinity much more difficult. Seachem sells a special borate alkalinity test kit to try to disentangle these effects, but that is only really necessary with tank water that contains greatly elevated boron levels.

Last edited by reef_doug; 12/30/2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12/30/2007, 07:10 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Billybeau1
I was originally going to include cost per gallon in my analysis. But I quickly realized that not all salt mixes require the same amount of salt to get to 1.0264.

Again, I believe this is all based on 1.024 which most manufacturers seem to state. That said, as long as I have the figures, I'll post them.

IO - 23 cents per gallon
RC - 25 cents
Coralife - 24 cents
Oceanic - 20 cents (go figure)
Aquatic Gardens - 23 cents
Red Sea - 22 cents
Seachem Reef - 25 cents
Kent - 23 cents
Tropic Marin - 29 cents
Tropic Marin Pro - 32 cents
These costs are based on.....?
Old 12/31/2007, 02:02 AM
Registered Member

thanks very helpful
Old 12/31/2007, 02:59 AM
PRoTeCToR oF ALL ReeF ;)

Thanks for doing this! Very interested in seeing the actual price/amount it takes to mix a salt to 35ppt.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

hey billy, I finally got around to testing the OCEAN PURE PRO salt.
here's some more numbers to add to your list.

mixed at 35ppt.

CA 400PPM
KH 10
MAG 2100PPM
PH 8.2
K+(Potassium) 380+mg/L
Temp 78.0F

all test where done with ether ELOS or API test kits, the mix was left to airate for 24hours.

after that eye opener, I went out and bought a bag of reef crystal salt. It was ether this or Instant ocean, my LFS told me reef crystal was better, I was also told that they stop carrying the ocean pure line of salt because in a report they had read this salt mix has a high amount of bad metals in it.

the high mag was not to much of an issue untill I started running ZEOVIT in my tank the water quallity became better, then i began loseing more color in the corals, which was on a steady decline before zeo. since adding the new salt mix (reefcrystal) to the tank friday i have noticed more PE and a slight return to normal colors (still early).

I'll test tonight and see what the tank parameters are at.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:28 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
These costs are based on.....?
Drs Foster and Smith web site.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Been using Oceanic for a few years now. Never have to add calcium if doing reg water changes.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reef_doug
Thanks for posting this.

Note that SeaChem Reef (and regular) also have high borate that can through off the alkalinity readings. But overall it's one of the better ones IMO. I would use a SeaChem Alkalinity test kit vs. some others if you are using close to 100% Seachem salt.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2002/chem.htm

Here is an exert from Randy's article:

However, if the boron level is substantially above natural levels, as it is in the Seachem salt mix with 12x normal levels, borate can actually begin to dominate such tests, 19 and makes knowing the real bicarbonate and carbonate alkalinity much more difficult. Seachem sells a special borate alkalinity test kit to try to disentangle these effects, but that is only really necessary with tank water that contains greatly elevated boron levels.
Hey Billy,

This is FANTASIC! Thanks for doing this!

I acutally quit using Seachem salt for awhile becuase of this article. Believe it or not I actually emailed them not to long ago to ask them about this. Here is the reply I got:

Hello,
The borate levels were lowered some time ago. It is not a
false high alkalinity because borate does contribute to
alkalinity in salt water or any water. Borate is a buffer
and any buffer will contribute to alkalinity level. It is
what helps keep pH and maintain it. MAy people use Reef
Salt without issue as we do here and have for years
without an issue to any coral or marine inhabitant.
This article may help you out
http://www.seachem.com/support/SeaGrams/SaltMixes.pdf
Thank you,
Seachem Support
Tech Support
Old 12/31/2007, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

whoa.............tropic marin pro reef must have redid their formulation big time. I've never seen people get much more then 1200 mag from it. I went through 3 buckets and was always 1200 or less with two different test kits. good to see there. Have you tested red sea coral pro?
Old 12/31/2007, 04:04 PM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

Quote:
Originally posted by bdare
Hey Billy,

This is FANTASIC! Thanks for doing this!

I acutally quit using Seachem salt for awhile becuase of this article. Believe it or not I actually emailed them not to long ago to ask them about this. Here is the reply I got:

Hello,
The borate levels were lowered some time ago. It is not a
false high alkalinity because borate does contribute to
alkalinity in salt water or any water. Borate is a buffer
and any buffer will contribute to alkalinity level. It is
what helps keep pH and maintain it. MAy people use Reef
Salt without issue as we do here and have for years
without an issue to any coral or marine inhabitant.
This article may help you out
http://www.seachem.com/support/SeaGrams/SaltMixes.pdf
Thank you,
Seachem Support
Tech Support

That must be an old memo. Here is the current page on their website which claims higher than NSW calcium levels, directly contradicting the memo, and still much different than Billy's test.

Great tests though, Billybeau. Thanks for taking the time. One question. Do any of these salts make claims on the packaging regarding these levels, and if so, which ones and how do their claims stack up with your results?

Thanks,
Old 12/31/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

They sent me that last week...
Old 12/31/2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bdare
They sent me that last week...
weird. The latest copyright date is 1998 on the bottom of the page and it has a different address and phone number than the website. Also, I have heard that they don't actually make their own salt anymore, but another well known company makes it for them.....

Oh well, I guess the meat of the article is what's important. It's an interesting read.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

Had to buy Red Sea because the local LFS was out of Oceanic the last time I was out of salt. It's been giving me fits in terms of maintaining Alk and Calc. Now I know why... The funny part is the local "experts" all swear by Red Sea and viewed my purchaseing of Oceanic as penny pinching
Old 12/31/2007, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Ok, tag along and my Ocean Pure parameter at 1.026, 79 degree.

420, 10.6 and 1260.

Go Angels.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerryz
Had to buy Red Sea because the local LFS was out of Oceanic the last time I was out of salt. It's been giving me fits in terms of maintaining Alk and Calc. Now I know why... The funny part is the local "experts" all swear by Red Sea and viewed my purchaseing of Oceanic as penny pinching

Keep in mind that as many people as there are in this hobby, you will find nearly as many opinions over what is the best way to do things, or in this case, what is the best salt. Go with whatever makes your animals the happiest. As sad as it may seem, I know of many LFS who swear by certain brands that they just happen to get a nice quarterly "rebate" from. Not saying that is the case in your LFS, but certainly makes you think. I remember last year visiting a prominent LFS in the Charlotte, NC area that swore by Kent Salt. In fact, it was the only salt offered in the store. yet, when the owner was giving me a tour of the back room, I saw piles of IO store use boxes. He was somewhat evasive when asked why he pushed one but used another.
Old 12/31/2007, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

I hope this question is appropriate to this thread but if not, I will ask it separately. What are the consequences of changing salt type? Is there any shock possible to the animals?

This is a wonderful set of tests. Thanks for doing it!!

~Steve~
Old 01/01/2008, 09:06 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SPStoner
Great tests though, Billybeau. Thanks for taking the time. One question. Do any of these salts make claims on the packaging regarding these levels, and if so, which ones and how do their claims stack up with your results?

Thanks,
Some of them did, but again, they base their results on 1.024 . Don't understand why they want to use this standard when most of us mix to 1.026. As you all know, there is quite a difference in Ca++ and Mg levels between 1.024 and 1.026

When they say makes 200 gallons, they mean 200 gallons at 1.024. At least most of them do.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:22 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by snorvich
I hope this question is appropriate to this thread but if not, I will ask it separately. What are the consequences of changing salt type? Is there any shock possible to the animals?

This is a wonderful set of tests. Thanks for doing it!!
I have never seen bad things happen in my tank when changing brands. And my tank has seen 10 brands in the last year.

You don't think I throw all my test water away do you ?

And, your welcome to all. Even though my results are not lab grade, I did take a lot of time to insure consistent results, using a number of different test kits. I just wanted to post a guide.

SPStoner said it best and is what I believe. Everyones tank is different. You use the salt mix that makes your tank look good. A lot depends on how often and how much you can do water changes and what additives and gadjets you have. Kalk reactors, calcium reactors etc.

There are no bad salt mixes. Each brand has a place in someones tank.

If your tank looks good, it is good.