Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 12/09/2007, 04:42 PM
WTMRAC's Daddy

Finally a big tank...72"x72"x24"

This tank is a work in progress, but it is finally up and running. The tank is acrylic...72"x72"x24" with the overflow in the center back...2" drain to the sump. Sump is a 60"x24"x24" tank that houses a very simple filter system. Filter floss where the water first enters the sump...Ocean Clear carbon canister, an RK2 skimmer driven by a Barracuda pump. Return to the tank is through a Blueline 40. Closed loop circulation is a Barracuda pump that returns back through a Oceans Motions 4 way.
We wanted a very open rock structure, so we used milk crates and PVC to provide a structure to build on top of. Rock is a mix of base rock and live rock. There is 200 pounds of Fiji Pink sand. The only inhabitants so far are a pair of Finespotted Fairy Wrasses.
This tank will be primarily LPS, and Softies with a few SPS.
Lighting consists of 4 lumenarc reflectors with 250 watt Hamilton 14K bulbs driven by PFO HQI ballasts. In the picture below, there are only 2 of the lights on.

I will update as we make progress.
Old 12/09/2007, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

Where did you find acrylic that was 72"x72" ? How do you plan on maintaining the middle portion of the tank? Can we see some pice of you filtration setup? Thanks
Old 12/09/2007, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

72" x 72" WOW!!!! Love those outside dimensions.

Can't wait for more updates.
Old 12/09/2007, 05:15 PM
WTMRAC's Daddy

Quote:
Originally posted by Harleyguy
Where did you find acrylic that was 72"x72" ? How do you plan on maintaining the middle portion of the tank? Can we see some pice of you filtration setup? Thanks
I asked my tank manufacturer, and he had no problem finding the acrylic in that size.

There is not much to look at for filtration. Just a big acrylic sump with filter floss...carbon filter and a big skimmer.

I can reach everywhere in the tank with little to no problem using a step ladder.
Old 12/09/2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Very cool, love the dimensions! I'll definitely be following this one
Old 12/09/2007, 08:31 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Ahhh... more pics please. Those are the dimensions I want for my next tank when I move... but I want an 18"x18" central overflow box rather than just one at the back... that way I can have 360 viewing... its like 4 180's all in one!
Old 12/09/2007, 09:55 PM
addicted member

i seen this tank today, the size itself plus the way he has it aquascaped will no doubt be in a class of its own. cant wait to see it full.

BTW richard the T5 Actinic+ bulb i bought today give me the perfect color i was looking for thanks for the help.

john
Old 12/10/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

I would love to see/hear more about your RK2 skimmer. Is it a 25? I have my eyes on one myself. Nice tank dimensions. When designing, I drew up a 6' x 6'...but I ended up with 6' x 4'.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

wow, perfect size. I would do the overflow in the center but still, great start.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Nice aquascaping!
What kind of rock is that?
Old 12/28/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Nice tank there! I have the same set up for my system and totally love it! im about at the same point where your at, but what are you doing for protection against the sand with the acrylic? I have left mine bare bottom because im scared to scratch it. Maybe we can talk a bit so I can get some ideas an we can discuss filtration and cleaning techniques if your willing. Sorry to high jack but looking forward to talking!

Regards
Charles-
Old 12/28/2007, 04:43 PM
Keeper of Sharks

Definitely sticking around for this one! This is gonna look fantastic when finished!

Good Luck.

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 12/28/2007, 06:48 PM
WTMRAC's Daddy

Graf-X - Thanks. It is a mix of Marshall Islands LR, and Base Rock.

CaptiveReefer03 - MagFloat on the upper part of the tank...3" above the sand. Manually scraping with an acrylic algae pad for the part close to the sand.
Old 12/28/2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

did you end up doing any of it bare bottom like you said ... or did you cover the whole bottom with a sandbed?
Old 12/28/2007, 10:09 PM
WTMRAC's Daddy

Under the rocks are acrylic frames siliconed to the bottom of the tank. The rock is then stacked on top of those frames and inside them, it is barebottom. Outside the frames is sand.
Old 12/29/2007, 01:21 AM
Registered Member

You cant start a thread about an awesome tank like this and not post pictures of everything!! Very nice tank.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

Wow, Id love to see more about this tank. How think is the acrylic?
Old 01/01/2008, 03:26 AM
Premium Member

I was cleaning my tank today and a question came to mind. How are you planning to clean coraline algea off of the acrylic? Some of it was so tough I had to scrape it with a razor blade and even then it wouldn't budge.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:17 PM
no time for spell check!

well its about time you got some water in that bad boy! ha ha ha looks really good so far.

like richard said 6 ft wide acrylic sheets can be gotten but they are not common at most suppliers. they usually order them in and dont stock them. you cna get 6 ft x 10 f t sheet all the way up to 3" thick in a couple of weeks. polycast usually has them made and in stock.