Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2007, 10:53 AM
Member of the Month

Mr. Clean Magic eraser

Our LFS is selling these as safe to use on the inside of your tank for algae? I would be afraid to do it, consequently I do not trust this fish store either, but the curiosity is killing me. Have they really flubbed up or can you use them? I read on the Mr. Clean website that they do not have anything toxic in them.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

I would never put that in my tank, even if it says non-toxic.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:10 AM
I'm smooth and creamy.

I don't know. I use one for doing cleaning around the house. I can tell you this much, I am not going to be the to try it and let you know what happens.

IMO, using it isn't worth the risk, seems like there are better ( safer ) ways to clean off algae off the inside of the tank.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:14 AM
Member of the Month

Yea I use a razor blade on my coraline. Otherwise I don't have any algae. My husband works at the LFS though and isn't very knowledgable about fish, so he asked me and I was like well it says they are non-toxic on the website. They are made of a polimer material no chemicals involved apparently. But like you guys said I would not be willing to try it either.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

Your husband works at the LFS you don't trust??
Old 12/28/2007, 11:25 AM
Team RC Member

Maybe that's why she doesn't trust it!
Old 12/28/2007, 11:31 AM
Member of the Month

My husband is the Manager of a hardware store in which he is very knowledgable. He occasionally works at his Uncles LFS to help out his Uncle. Fish are not his hobby they are mine. He called me today concerned them telling people to use these in their tanks. I really did not appreciate the last to off subject comments. I did not post this to get my Husband insulted.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

I wouldn't use one in my tank even if it states non toxic. Who knows what issues would arise even from a non toxic substance down the road in your tank. You spend thousands to get it going and flourishing so why risk it......
Old 12/28/2007, 11:35 AM
Member of the Month

I agree ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 12/28/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Might be OK, but why take the chance. There are too many other proven methods of cleaning glass. I'd stay with the traditional methods (razor blade, manetic pads, etc.)
Old 12/28/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

If you intend to use it on an empty tank and thoroughly clean with vinegar or some other agent there probably isn't a problem.

A bit of research on the product reveals that it does not contain detergents, etc. but is actually a very lightweight sandpaper-type of material known as Malamine foam.

This link explains it better:

http://corporate.basf.com/en/stories...2j2zBar_bcp.ob

Last edited by barbra; 12/28/2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:42 AM
Team RC Member

Relax, no insult to your husband it was light hearted joking.

When the eraser is used, it rubs off little bits of it all over the place. These little bits of material would be in the tank and that can't be good if ingested by inhabitants or accumulated. There are too easy of ways already available without taking this risk. A razor blade scraper works perfect and leaves no residual materials.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

I dont think anyone was trying to insult your husband. You clearly stated that your husband called and said they were saying to use them at your LFS and said you don't trust this store. Then you stated that your husband works at the fish door that you just said you don't trust. Nobody was insulting him, just trying to figure out why you were saying you didnt trust a fish store your husband worked at. People only know what you tell them.

On the eraser thing, I wouldnt use them either, they seem to make a slimy feeling bubbles when you get them wet and squeeze them.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:29 PM
Member of the Month

"People only know what you tell them."

People also assume things they should not.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

No wonder your dog has more friends....
Old 12/28/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

It will definitely scratch up acrylic so don't try it if you have this type of aquarium. I have used it on glass without a problem but agree with others that there better methods.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:45 PM
Member of the Month

Listen I did not come here to be insulted. I thought I opened a helpful thread. A comment was made I did not like and I addressed it and so did the maker of it. It doesn't matter whether you personally thought it was offensive, it bothered me. Down right nastiness is unwarranted barbra. I could easily insult you right back about your "hobby experience" but I will take the high road since you chose not to.

Last edited by r0bin; 12/28/2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12/28/2007, 01:04 PM
VILP

Enough. rObin, I don't think there was an original intent to insult your husband, though I understand how you might take it that way. barbra - your comment was way out of line!

I believe the question posed has been sufficiently answered. This thread is now closed.

Reefcherie
RC Moderator