Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/05/2006, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Brown spots on my clarki

I have done a bit of reading and can't tell if I have a problem or not.
I am running a 55-gallon tank
Icecap660 440 watts 220 actinic white 220 super actinic
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 8.4-8.6 ish
75 lbs live rock
Good amount of flow and I do by weekly water changes of about 20% at the moment I only have the clarki and a chromis in the tank fish wise any way.
But the clarki has developed brown spots not raised just discoloration.
Eating fine and swims and chases the chromis as usual.
Been feeding mysis brine and a mix from a LFS that I don’t know exactly what it is.
I keep the SG at 1.025 or as close as I can.
Also running protein skimmer unknown brand but it removes the nasty never the less.
Old 04/06/2006, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

Hard to tell. Do you have an anemone or some sort of coral that the clownfish touches? If so, they are probably just pigment spots.

If you conclude that they are parasites, the best treatment is probably a series of formalin baths, 3 days apart, until the parasites don't come back anymore. You should be able to tell from the first bath whether the treatment works (most of the parasites will drop off). See:
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...alinbaths.html
Old 04/07/2006, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

thank you for the response but i don't belive its a parasite. however thats why i posted becuase i don't know what its from. I have added new corals to the tank and i see my clown brushing up on the frogspawn that is a new addition, but thats the only coral in the tank that can sting.
Old 04/08/2006, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

hey, i have the same exact thing on my clarkii as you. i could not get a picture of hte bugger though, he just moved too fast.

he acts perfectly normal and is eating well too, so i wasnt sure exactly what it was either.

very curious to know if we should be worried.

Jaymie
Old 04/08/2006, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

Pigment spots due to contact with corals are fairly common. Assuming that's what it is, it no cause for alarm.
Old 04/09/2006, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

thank you i belive that must be what it is due to him not scrathing and the spots don't seem to be raised at all. also the fish is doing fine eating. So ill keep an eye on him and we'll see what happens next.