Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/02/2006, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

i bet it did add amonnia.. the algea. i dont know im completely a newbie. im checking amonnia right now, i dident after the water change, only before, so lets see here.... looks the same. reading 'safe' on a mardell test strip

my water is like pee yellow. if its not the maracyn tablet, i donno... it better be!!!!i know.. test your ammonnia in say a glass of tap water. add the medicines to the glass (measureing it the right amount)

then test it agian. you'll at least know if its the meds

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 04/02/2006, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

good idea! lol... looks like we went on to page 2 WOW...

Is the maracyn tablet yellow? The Liquid Maracyn plus... is clearish white turns water cloudy for a sec and then it immediately clears.... My tangs one kind is looking 100% better... the other side ( which was the worse one) looks better but since it was worse to begin with it still kinda looks bad... but the side that didnt lok as bad is almost completely better.. so I know the liquid maracyn is working.
Old 04/02/2006, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

its hard to add the right equivalent of medicine to a glass of tap water to figure that one out but from what I saw.., maracyn didnt add ammonia but the copper did.

its definitely still at .50.... what should I do?
Old 04/02/2006, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

ouch. the fast way to remove would be one of those water conditioners. it removes ammonnia and nitrate, but you must remember im a newbie and that could also remove copper, i dont know. im def the wrong person to ask. maybe start a thread on removing ammonia and explain your situation.

i dont know if active carbon removes amonia but its another option, it would remove all the copper to though i think

the maracyn 2 tabs are a light orangish. so its gotta be it

my main tank is suffering high nitrates and i dont want to use it in the qt. on my way to kroger for more r/o water. my lfs's broke

maybe your test kit is wrong? i have a aquarium pharmacuticals kit that reads my amonia as .25 and a mardel test strip that reads it at zero. same with my nitate tests, the test strip reads it at 40 and the liquid measures it at 15... kinda a large gap there....

Old 04/02/2006, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

omg she ate! She was in her lil plastic cave (whitch means she isent suffering from lack of oxegen and hanging near the surface anymore)

so when i saw her in the cave i thought id try agian. marine cusine, frozen, her sec. favorite food. yay!

now i just need to keep up her water quality and keep her well for.. oh 6 weeks or so *ouch* lol

Old 04/02/2006, 05:07 PM
Premium Member

Sorry... I'm not able to check this forum as often as I would like.

Water conditioners that detoxify ammonia may also affect copper, so they are not recommended. Sorry... lacking a conditioned filter there's really no substitute for changing water. However, there's also no reason the water changes to 50%, particularly if you are using good tank water to replace it. You can slow down the toxic waste production if you limit feeding, by the way.

Maracyn-Two and Maracyn-Plus are two very different products. I recommend the Maracyn-Two for bacterial infections in saltwater. Maracyn-Plus is less likely to be effective. It's normal for Maracyn-Two to turn the water yellow or brown.
Old 04/02/2006, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

Did you say no need to change more than 50% a day .... that one sentence confused me.... ammonia is looking better now.... I am not using the copper anymore just the Maracyn Plus.
Old 04/02/2006, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

sat... just want to say thanks for saving a life.. my fishes life. i really appreciate you taking the time. feebee is looking better every minute. i have last questions for u

the filter floss i have in the hangon filter that i took from my main tank... should i just leave it in the the whole 6 weeks? will it become my bio filter?

the stringy poop... will maracyn 2 take care of this or should i use somthing for internal parasites?

Old 04/02/2006, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blinkgyrl2987
Did you say no need to change more than 50% a day .... that one sentence confused me.... ammonia is looking better now.... I am not using the copper anymore just the Maracyn Plus.
Sorry, I mistyped that... you don't need to limit the changes to 50%. A 90% change is fine provided you have a good match on pH and temperature and assuming the water has been well mixed and reasonably well aged.
Old 04/02/2006, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

i dont seem to be having this problem.. im gonna check agian.

Old 04/02/2006, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

sat... just want to say thanks for saving a life.. my fishes life. i really appreciate you taking the time. feebee is looking better every minute. i have last questions for u
You're quite welcome!

the filter floss i have in the hangon filter that i took from my main tank... should i just leave it in the the whole 6 weeks? will it become my bio filter?
Yes, leave it on. I use either a sponge filter or a bio-wheel. However, filter floss is fine, at least for a while, provided it doesn't get clogged.

the stringy poop... will maracyn 2 take care of this or should i use somthing for internal parasites?
Stringy poop indicates intestinal upset. There are a variety of possible causes, including some that have nothing to do with disease. For the time being I suggest ignoring that symptom. Once the other symptoms are under control, if the fish still has stringy poop I'd try some metronidazole, which is more likely to be effective for internal infections than Maracyn-Two.
Old 04/03/2006, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

hey blink hows your tang? hope shes eating for you. feebees alright. shes much more active, swimming into the current and wating everything i give her. her bottom fin looks messed up, like.. deformed i guess, like it overlapped and stuck together. she wasent using it either. her mouth is white. i have no idea why, but it doesent seem to bother her anymore. hope its healing.

are you going to try the maracyn 2? my lfs said to sprinkle it on her food too... if you do try it, give her 2 tabs the first night, then 1 tab the rest

Old 04/03/2006, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Hey! Things are going better with the tang... She ate tonight.. I broke up pieces of a frozen seaweed cube and as the pieces blew by her she went after them.... which was neat... good to see her interested in food...

Her fin rot is stopped.. but I'm wondering how long does it take for the fin to grow back?

Also the white fungus? looking patches are shrinking in size... I just hope she doesnt look scarred when she is finished fully healing.... her breathing has slowed down quite a bit... I'm still only using the Maracyn Plus. I forgot to pick up the MAracyn Two... does it have to be tablet form? Cuz I only found powder....

Also I am still using the copper because she has a few white clearish teansy tiny crystal like things around her mouth ...to make sure its not the ick or velvet I'm using that... but it could still just be part of the fungus that still has to go away.

She hides is her coffee mug alot that I layed in the bottom for her to hide in.... and in the morning is when she looks the worst.... my step dad said this morning she was flat resting at the surface thinking she was gone... but then I did the 90% (YES 90% water change) when I got home and got the ammonia in check and then she perked back up again.
All in all I think shes slowly getting better... I'm just wondering how long this process will take... I'm concerned about the taking water out of my main tank everyday and mixing up new salt... I'm afraid I'm freshening it too much ( the main tank)
Old 04/04/2006, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

Well, I guess after shes fully healed your supposed to leave her in qt another 4 to 6 weeks (might as well start a bio filter in your main tank cause you'll eventually get to use it!!

Mine stays in her cave alot to. I think tangs swim a bit, but clowns are notorious for picking a spot and not going but 6 inches from it, if the food isent close enough they wont go get it

I caught her spitting food at her plastic cave like she would the anemone, kinda cute shes feeding her home lol

Im using the copper the full treatment and the maracyn 2 full treatment.

In the morning ill feed her, then take out a gallon of water Via turkey baster (i suck everything thats on the bottom of the tank out) then I replace it with 1 gal from main tank, add 1/4 teaspoon of copper (thats what it breaks down to for a gal) then i break a tablet in two and toss it in.

I dont think It needs to be a tablet, just more convenient. Be careful cause the freshwater maracyn looks the same as the saltwater, you'll hafta read the top to make sure

feebees poop is brown agian, and she really looks good. Her fins are healed, 1 fin on bottom is screwed up probley forever, its deformed...

But, I think fin regeneration is REALLY fast. When feebee kept attacking the male maroon, shed sherd his fins and they would be normal agian within two days.

Try the maracyn, theyre all compatable, so why not. I noticed a very quick turnaround with it.

Her lip is the only thing that still looks weird, it white, her lips and all around them. But shes eating like a pig!

glad we are saving our fishes

Old 04/04/2006, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Yeah We are saving are fishies and learning alot!

I only did a 40% water change this morning.. because ammonia was less! and she was swimming more than usual...

Umm I'm def getting the Maracyn 2 tonight.. I'll make sure its the Saltwater kind.

White fuzz/dots are disapearing on mine. ( around the mouth) Patches still slowly getting better fins look the same... For sum reason I think that the fins are gonna take forever to grow back... I'm glad you broke down the 1/4 teaspoon of copper per gallon for me.. I'll keep that in mine... I've only been adding it when I've been doing the huge almost nearly all water change. Because I'm so afraid of overdosing the copper... but if I took out about 40 % ..( 4 gallons this morning)... I guess I could safely add about a teaspoon and be okay... to be on the safe side though I may add a little less...

OMG 4-6 weeks... yeah thats gona kill me... But it would kill me even more to put her back in before shes fully treated and have it go back to where we started. My fish is holding in and being strong so I guess I have to hold in there and be strong as well... You said you were new at this.. you seem to know alot though!

Turkey baster idea is good.. I'm gonna try that.. so I can get the debrises out as well...

I wish SAT would come back and comment on all this.. make sure we are doing things for the most part the right way. lol cuz its been me and you for the most part... ( NOT to say that SAT hasnt helped! Because you have... A LOT!)

But yeah umm best way to start a bio filter? how do I know its goona be strong enough to work.

Thanks again Megs~
Old 04/04/2006, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

Ive only had my tank five months. I dont know alot at all! the info from reef central has consumed me and almost everything else in my life im doing half a$$ed now lol here, this is where I learned the most about QT's.

extreame qt... lol http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=288805 this is hard core. you have to decide how far your willing to take it lol

Turky baster idea was on RC too, for feeding anemones. I got 2 of them from kroger for 50 cents each. just remember not to use any of the same tools on your main tank (like, i have a 1/2 gal pitcher to remove the qt water, then another pitcher i dip in my main tank, then pour it into 'contaminated' pitcher without them touching (copper is soooo bad in a reef) and i bought a refractormeter because i used my hydrometer on my qt tank, and then dident have anything to test my main tank with

expensive fish.....

to start a biofilter? just put a spounge on a powerhead, or if you have a hang on filter, put a sponge in it. after 4-6 weeks its strong enough.

get a copper test kit. seriously. cause if it drops under .6 (or 6ppm i cant remember) then you have to start over agian. a 1/2 gal is 5 drops of copper, a gal is a 1/4 teaspoon, etc. had to buy more spoons to *sigh*

Oh... another bonus? copper can keep fish sterile for the rest of theyre lives... no babys for feebee. i feel like im raising humans

PM sat... i did the other day when i was freaking out

Old 04/04/2006, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

It looks like you two are helping each other along just fine. Glad to hear the tang is looking better.

For a biofilter, I like sponge filters. They only cost a few bucks, assuming you have a little air pump to drive it. They take about a week before they really do any good. I also had good luck with a small bio-wheel. There is also this thread:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=306049

If you can't find the saltwater flavor of Maracyn-Two, the ordinary kind is fine.

You should suspend the copper treatment after 3 weeks. By then the parasites in the treatment tank should all be dead. However, you still need to wait for the display tank to be clear, which takes about 6 weeks (BTW, don't draw water from the display tank after you suspend the copper treatment unless you want the fish to be reinfected).

I believe sterility is more a possibility than a certainty. The prognosis is better if monitor the dosage carefully.
Old 04/04/2006, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

omg i just wrote a long one and rc crashed it. ouch

guess ill cut this one short just in case

to remove the copper after three weeks, do i just add carbon filter and do a lil water change? or.....

and... were the parasites always in my tank and my fish got stressed and got attacked? or did she get stressed and make thae parasites? how did the whole cycle start?

the bio filter that im making now.. should i use it in a week or so in my qt, or after i remove the copper? should i toss the bio filter after her treatment? Im planning on keeping a qt running at all times now. after its fully cleaned.. id like more than 1 fish... someday

i forget the rest except my side note

side note

My fish is bonding with me!!! *grins* shes such a meanie, she'd try to bite me all the time, never really cared for me.. now shes acting really different, almost ate from my hand today. comes to the glass when im close.

I really considered this being a very bad descicion having her as my first fish in the tank.. shes hurting the anemone, wont let another fish in the tank... wouldent accept a mate... now how am i supposed to stick her in a crappy tank? shes so different now id feel awful putting her in a nano or somthing... guess were in it for the long haul. just hafta get a 125 gallon for those picassos ive been dreaming about *heeehee*

Old 04/04/2006, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Okay My confusion is... your saying you think there are parasites in my maintank? I have two other fish in the maintank who are fine.. had them forever and they have no signs of disease whatsoever. The tang only have patches while in the maintank and was rubbing.... it wasnt until the quantine tank that I ever saw little dots. I'm lost .... I really dont think the fish in the maintank need to be treated.

I planned on quarantining this one until all sighs of infection were gone.. contining the copper for 3 weeks... I add a little each time I remove water. and yeah thats it.. after he seems fully healed and has had the 3 weeks of copper treatment i was going to leave him in the hospital tank for a week or so just to make sure he's really all good... and then he was going back to the maintank...is there something else I should be doing?

There are sponges in the back of the nano... carbon is out and so are the ceramic rings... will having the sponges back there start a bio filter or do I have to make it outside the Q tank?

I picked up the Maracyn 2 will start using that tonight... fish is eatting now... spots are gone the one patch is pretty much healed just waiting on the other one and I'm waiting for fins to regenerate.... how long will this take??
Okay well thanks again... Megan
Old 04/04/2006, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

megan... my names maggie... margaret actually

Im excited to see what happens tomorrow after the maracyn2!! I doubled the dose (sat said it was good to do in the pm back) so 2 tabs first night 1 tab after that for.. 5 days i think? ill hafta go back and read.

the spounges hafta be in main tank and copper free im pretty sure. but hopefully sat can answer that...

(cant figure out where to stick the quarters for all this information)

very nice of you sat by the way

Old 04/04/2006, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blinkgyrl2987
Okay My confusion is... your saying you think there are parasites in my maintank? I have two other fish in the maintank who are fine.. had them forever and they have no signs of disease whatsoever. The tang only have patches while in the maintank and was rubbing.... it wasnt until the quantine tank that I ever saw little dots. I'm lost .... I really dont think the fish in the maintank need to be treated.
Well, Ich doesn't just appear out of the air... if the fish had it when you put it into quarantine then it had it before then also, and had an opportunity to contaminate the main tank if he was in there. The other fish may be immune, may just not be showing it yet, may be hosting some of the parasites without showing, or you may have been very lucky and none of the parasites fell off the tang while it was in there. Or maybe it wasn't Ich after all. There is no way to find out for sure without taking a risk.

The standard protocol for eradiating Ich is to remove *all* the fish, treat them separately, and let the display tank be totally free of fish for 6-8 weeks.

Having said all that, there is a decent chance that when you return the tang all will be OK. There are several ways that could be the case: the Ich might not have survived in the main tank, the tang might have developed sufficient resistance to fight it off completely, or the tang might just have enough resistance to prevent the Ich from killing it. In the last case, you will have Ich resident in the tank waiting for "fresh meat" or for something to happen that lowers their resistance (e.g., a heater failure).

It unfortunately appears to be common for Ich to be resident in aquaria, especially tanks containing tangs. They seem to have a special affinity for it.
Old 04/04/2006, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

hmm that sucks.... I hate tangs... I hate tangs... I am trying to keep this one alive and I will be happy.. but yeah these fish suck... and Ich is the worst disease....

I dont know what else to say.... Its all very clear to me now though... Thanks SAT...
Old 04/04/2006, 11:08 PM
Premium Member

Tangs really aren't the easy fish that people want them to be... but let's face it, they are great show fish in a large tank.

Speaking of which, a 46G reef is a bit small for a tang. It's OK while it's small, but a healthy, well fed tang will grow quite rapidly.
Old 04/04/2006, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

Yeah I'm dealing with that one... It wasnt my choice... I put the yellow tang in the tank Yes... I admit to that one.. and this is a tough yellow tang hes living through it all.... and my mom loves him... I think he was enough.... TWO of them in that size tank is disgraceful.. I agree... I didnt buy him though! So at least I rest knowing that it wasnt by my fault that he's in there. I'll end up getting a bigger tank though. And I'll prolly adopt one of the two. I'm the one who does all the work anyways... its really my thing.. my parents just think its pretty...
Old 04/05/2006, 06:33 AM
Registered Member

mine never showed signs of ick either. is a bacterial infection littering my main tank?