Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Do Bad things really come in threes?

As some of you know 3 weeks ago my 140 gallon oceanic reef tank just started leaking out of nowhere from the bottom. For all of my efforts and with the help of both Raphael,Nick, and Keith Grandt we have not been able to make it stop. I have subsequently lost all of my SPS and most of my fish.

Then as all of you know, Monday morning while reefing it up my car got stolen. That was a pretty bad day as well.

This morning while driving my wife and kids in our one car to school, my littlest (2 1/2 YR Old) said "Daddy put on your seat belt." I thanked him and did so accordingly. It must have been an omen. On the J street bridge right before Sac State I slammed my brakes just in time to slide within an inch of slamming into the car in front of me. Unfortunately for me and my family the car behind me wasn't as lucky. He hit us so hard, we hit the car in front of us and sent them into the car in front of them. I am now down to one car with a destroyed back end and a trunk that won't close. My wife seems like she has some pain in her neck (besides what is normal from dealing with me and 3 kids) and I wish I had a Xanex or 4.

They say Bad things come in threes and I hope they are right as I can't take much more of this. Sorry to drop this all on here but I am at the computer lab at CSUS and had to tell someone.

When it rains it pours.

-Paul
Old 12/06/2007, 01:08 PM
My tank is too full

I am sorry that you are going through this Paul. Hopefully this be the end and things will turn around for you and your family.

To thine own self be true

Last edited by Marko9; 12/06/2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12/06/2007, 01:13 PM
Reef Cowboy

Man. Hope you get some easy times for a stretch.
Old 12/06/2007, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

Wow Paul... I am really sorry to hear about all of the headaches! Lets hope the saying is right and it all ends there!
Old 12/06/2007, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

Ouch, well, you know what they say, the sun is just over the horizon. But look at it this way, at least you still have you and your family right?
Old 12/06/2007, 02:00 PM
High Plains Drifter

When it rains, it pours.

Lets all hope this is the end of your tough stretch and things can get better from here.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 12/06/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

well, I'm at Sac State as well, and I could help you out with some motrin and/or darvocet if you need it...
Old 12/06/2007, 02:10 PM
espyesitis sufferer

It could have been worse, Paul. Glad you and the family are okay. My son won't let me get out of the driveway if I don't have my seatbelt on, either.

If you need a ride somewhere, let me know. I have a new toy that I like driving around in anyway.
Old 12/06/2007, 02:25 PM
Slowly growing gills.

What can anyone say about things like this?

And I thought I had a monopoly on bad luck.

Hope your wife is okay.
Old 12/06/2007, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Wow!! Sorry you and your family are hitting this stretch. LMK if there's anything I can do.
Old 12/06/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Just tell me the other guy doesnt have Victoria, Titan, or Nationwide insurance.

46 Gal Bowfront
Build in process
Old 12/06/2007, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

Wow Paul, really sorry you had to put up with so much. You are such a great guy, let me know if there is something I can do.
Old 12/06/2007, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

I know all you can see is the bad side of these things, but be ever so glad that you put your seatbelt on and your family is safe, if not a little bruised. You guys are in my prayers.

Recent aquisitions:
Coral -> Ponape Seriatopora
Fish -> Pseudocheilinus hexataenia (Six Line Wrasse)
Gadget -> Eheim 1262
Old 12/06/2007, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Thank goodness it wasn't worse. As others have said, be thankful for what didn't happen. Stay strong....
we'll keep you in our prayers.
Old 12/06/2007, 03:51 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

My office used to be in West Sacramento. Within 30 days, this summer, I got rear-ended twice. The second time 4 days after my car had been repaired from the first wreck.

From that experience I've concluded that no one in West Sacramento has car insurance and only 50% even bother with a driver's license.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 12/06/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all of the support. As I just finished talking about this with a close friend I have the same perspective as many of you: If I found out either myself or any of my family was seriously ill I would trade all of these things in a NY second for their health. We have that (as far as I know) so it could definitely be worse. It is just a lot to take in in a short amount of time. A little overwhelming but not earth shattering... Happy Holidays to all of you and the best of luck to you and your families over this holiday season. As my father used to say to me when I was a kid...this too shall pass.

Thanks again, this club is not just my group of fish dork associates, but also a good group of friends.
Old 12/06/2007, 04:15 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Quote:
Originally posted by pbetito
Thanks again, this club is not just my group of fish dork associates, but also a good group of friends.
EH!

We're 'reef' dork associates and also a good group of friends
Old 12/06/2007, 04:29 PM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Don't worry amigo - We will have a beer (or 3) over the weekend and plumb in the new holding system and all will be right with the world once more. In all seriousness, I feel for you and your bad luck streak as of late. As always, I got your back should you need anything.
Old 12/06/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Hang in there, Paul. Things will be looking better soon.

Smart kid you have there. When my kids were little I told them the car wouldn't go unless all seat belts were fastened. They really thought that there was something in the set belt that disabled the car if it wasn't used.
Old 12/06/2007, 07:35 PM
Teeam Gary!

Glad everyone is OK. The rain brought all the nuts out on the road today.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you can get rid of him for a whole weekend.
Old 12/06/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Dude,

Glad to hear that the family and yourself are all OK. Keep the faith - you will soon see the Sun coming up on the Horizon.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Message me with your address and I'll mail you some xanax. Sorry to hear all of your hard times I will pray for you and I will ask my wife to pray for one of my reef geek internet friends.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saltykelly
Message me with your address and I'll mail you some xanax. Sorry to hear all of your hard times I will pray for you and I will ask my wife to pray for one of my reef geek internet friends.
I got some but I SERIOUSLY thank you for the offer. Took the doctor about 20 seconds into my story to prescribe me some!
Old 12/07/2007, 12:55 AM
Premium Member

Paul, let us know when your tank is up and ready for frags. Some of us may donate some to ease the pain. Works almost as well as Xanax.
Old 12/07/2007, 01:23 AM
Premium Member

Paul,

Geez! I'm so sorry to hear about all the bad things that have been happening with you lately. Glad to hear that none of you were seriously hurt in the accident. Hope you all will continue to be okay.