Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 08/14/2004, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

pictures of your router table.

i'am going to build my own tank and was wondering if you would post pictures of your router tables.i just bought a router table at lowes. i bought some scrap plexiglass at true value(THANK GOD) i did just buy some scrap. the router table has a fence to guide the plexi glass through. well when i guide it through the firts half it goes great. when it starts to go throught the second half there is a a little gap between the fence and the plexiglass. i try to keep it even but when it's all done being cut the piece is crocked. i try the keep it straight but the gap between the piece thats been cut and the piece thats not cut yet i can't do it. i think i need a new fence for the rable. so that's why i want to see some of your guys tables maybe get some ideas for mine. thanks all!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08/15/2004, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Well is your router table fence adjustable on both sides of the bit? If not you have to get a adjustable fence (or make one) If it is adjustable you have to make sure that the outfeed side is dead on level w/ the front edge of the cutterhead. Then on the infeed side you set it back from the front edge about 1/16" of a inch or less. I made my own router table and just use 2 seperate pieces of wood for fences like I explained above. HTH
Old 08/16/2004, 03:28 AM
Can't be listed on **

The other way to do it is put the fence on the other side and run the piece between the fence and the router bit, just put a feather board on the in and out sides of the bit to help hold the material against the fence. Good even edges and you can make all pieces exactly the same size this way.

Kim
Old 08/16/2004, 08:34 AM
First Class Aquatics

Here is my old one.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=407067

My new one is 48" x 78" and I run mine the same way Kim described above. I have a straight edge I clamp to the table and run my acrylic sheets between that and the router bit.
Old 08/18/2004, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

Nice table there fade2black. Did you build or buy?
Old 08/18/2004, 10:45 AM
First Class Aquatics

I built it based loosely on plans in Woodworker magazine. The top is melamine and worked pretty good. My new table has a glossy formica top and everything slides much better.....especially after waxing it!
Old 08/18/2004, 10:58 AM
I yam what I yam

Mike316, what brand of router table did you get? Got any pics or links to it. It sounds like you are trying to joint the edge and that's why the gap. To do something like this you need an adjustable Fence so that you can adjust the infeed and out feed fences independatly of each other. There are several inexpensive tables that do that , sears is one of them.
On the other hand, if you want a good quality one, there are several out there as well. I've got a Incra Jig with the wonderfence and it does all of that and more.
Another way to get a straight edge like your trying to do is to clamp a straight edge on your peice of work and use the routher in a hand held mode and cut it. Or mount your router in a large table top and run the peice between the fence and blade as others have sugested. Good luck with it.
Fade2black. Nice table you built. I just finnished building the tablesaw/router table combo from the latest wood magazine. The one in their new shop. I modified it a bit and I now have about a 80" table top w/ rails on it so my TS fence can go the whole distance. On the router end, I made the top about a foot longer so I could mount my Incra fence and still have plenty of room to work it in it's full lenght. I've got the Incra mounted on a board and use threaded inserts in the bottom of the table top so that I can remove the incra if needed to make a 72" cut on the TS. Don't have any pics but will take some and post them. I'd like to see your new setup as well.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 08/18/2004, 11:11 AM
First Class Aquatics

Wow, that's a long table Sounds nice, can't wait to see pics. I remeber reading about that projec tin Wood. I have some pictures of my new one at home and will post them tonight. It's not as decked out as the old one as I just use it for acylic fabrication, but I like the huge work area.
Old 08/18/2004, 12:20 PM
Hooked on Reefkeeping

Mike316. I'm assuming your fence is in two parts. If so get a small piece of Formica for a spacer. Put it in front of the RIGHT half of the fence (as viewed standing in front of the table). Using a true straght edge, adjust both halves in line with the bit's cutting edge.

Tighten everything down, remove the Formica and the infeed side (the right) should be about 1/16th inch farther back than the bit and outfeed (left) fence.

Run you material from right to left and you should remove an amount equal to the thinckness of your Formica and the outfeed table will support the piece.
Old 08/18/2004, 10:02 PM
I yam what I yam

Here is a link to some pics of my tablesaw/router table I built.
http://community.webshots.com/album/176808421MeJbMd

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?