Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/14/2004, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Coral safe Moray for a 50-75G?

Are there any suitable Morays for a 50-75G reef containing only Corals(ie. no motile inverts)?

Also, Is there a compatable Algae eating fish for the same set-up?

Thanks,
Sam
Old 10/14/2004, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Technically all moreys are reef safe, some just get larger than others. Like you have pointed out they do like certain inverts, shrimps, and any small fish dumb enough to just sit around. One big problem is that they like to dig, so make sure your rock structure is sitting on the glass and not up on your sand bed, because they could make it all come crashing down in a hurry.
Old 10/14/2004, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NHReefer591
One big problem is that they like to dig, so make sure your rock structure is sitting on the glass and not up on your sand bed, because they could make it all come crashing down in a hurry.
Ah yes! Forgot about that!
Thanks for the reminder!

I was really asking if any eel was especially well suited for a reef set-up....

Anyone have a Reef with a Moray currently or previously?

All tips, advice, and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 10/14/2004, 10:55 PM
Art and science

garden ell (Taenioconger hassi) he gets 36cm
Old 10/15/2004, 03:59 PM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

Garden eels are planktivores but they need a VERY deep sand bed (as deep as their body), hard to feed and very very shy.
You can keep a snowflake in your reef tank. They are not very big and not very aggressive.
There are some dwarf eels which are better choises however they are usually expensive.
One of my favourite eel is blue ribbon eel though. They are very thin so they wont harras the corals and also they are the best colored eel IMO. However, it is very hard to get them eat so i dont recommend them

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 10/15/2004, 07:43 PM
Art and science

Snowflakes get 28in
Old 10/16/2004, 04:05 AM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

Yeah, very small compared to most other moray eels. As most of the time they keep their body in their caves, you can keep them in small tanks.

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 10/16/2004, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

I had a golden moray (the goldentail-gold variant not the dwarf) and he was very well behaved but they are a bit expensive (>$200)
Old 10/16/2004, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

My local fish store had one, He tried to feed it a freswater guppy but it never ate it.\
The guppy semmed fine.
Old 10/17/2004, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

I have about a 18" Snowflake in my reef, but as far as he goes, he needs to move. He digs under rock and makes my reef fall every now and then, so from my past experience, i will never have another eel in a reef. Hope it helps!
Old 10/17/2004, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies!

I figured a Garden eel to be too much of a specialized animal for a n00b like me...

I'll probably end up picking up a small Snowflake to start.
I dont mind much if he mucks up my reef, I'm not a fanatical Coral keeper like some of the people among us.

What about tankmates?
some kind of algae eater as my tank has some out of control issues right now!
How about a Dwarf lion? Fu Manchu/ Fuzzy? Or a similar scorpion/toadfish....?
then of course something to set the tank off, something that moves almost constantly...... any ideas?

I greatly appreciate all of the help provided so far and hope it continues!

Thanks again,
Sam
Old 10/17/2004, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

if you do not care about your rock work, then by all means do a snowflake, they have a cool personality and they leave all the other fish alone. Although they do eat and produce alot of waste make sure a good filter is in place. Mine eats about 6 fish ,,5 or 6 times a month. He has about doubled in size since i have had him. He is about 18 or 20" now.. Try one if rockwork is not a problem!!