Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/10/2007, 10:17 PM
Zoa Fanatic

H. Crispa......

Anything in particular that I should know before i buy a sebae nem? Is there some reason that i definitely should NOT buy this or something along those lines? What should i feed it? Should it be placed on the rock or the substrate?
Old 06/10/2007, 10:24 PM
Moved On

their sand dwellers and live in the sandbed with their foot deeply dug in and attached to the glass on the bottom of the tank. they like anything meaty and they grow amazingly fast so be prepared.

kc
Old 06/10/2007, 10:31 PM
Zoa Fanatic

The one in the LFS has been attatched to rock for over a month now. And that is under 400w of MH, where he will only be under 70w of MH and 56W of t5 in my system.
Old 06/11/2007, 01:14 AM
Premium Member

i have kept one of these guys for almost 2 years now. he has been a great host to my pair of true percs. Mine did attach to the rock and i have 2 x 250 MH 20K with 2 x 65 PC Actinics. He did grow extremely fast for the first year or so. He started out about the size of the palm of my hand and now he is roughly 14 inches across. I just slowed down his feeding to slow the growth. I used to feed him silversides once a week and now i just give him a cube of mysis once every few weeks. Cant say that I have done anything special with him. I love my sebae! good luck with yours!
Old 06/11/2007, 08:24 AM
Premium Member

Mine is in the rocks as well and seems to like it there. He made a minor adjustment to his original location 2 weeks after I put him in the tank, other than that he hasn't moved for the 6 months I've had him.
He was totally bleached when I got him and I fed him small pieces of Krill or Silversides almost daily till he colored up. I only feed him 2 to 3 times a week now. Like zeagle said they grow fast at first, mine has slowed down and I'm glad, he is getting big.

This is from a month after I got him. You can see some color starting in the upper left of the nem

This is a more recent pic. Notice I moved the frogspawn to seperate them. I need to move it again.
Old 06/11/2007, 03:09 PM
Latenight Reefer

Mine likes life on the rocks too, in fact most H. crispas I know of live above the sand but thats IME. You should place it on the sand at first though as it will probably bury its foot under a rock. They attach very quickly so make sure you choose a good spot for it.
Old 06/11/2007, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

mine started in the sand then it attacted to some LR then i moved it and the rock to the center of the tank (some people would problly say i should have left it where it was but it is doing fine) so i could see what i payed for and it is doing fine i feed it Brine once a week.
Old 06/11/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

I just bought one myself. It's at least 8 inches across. How long will it take for my Maroon to host with it?

Should I dig a hole so it can attach it's foot to the glass?
Old 06/11/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

my cinnamin clowns took almost a month to start hosting in mine so it is just a time thing.
Old 06/11/2007, 07:51 PM
Moved On

Again, H. Crispa is a sand dwelling anemone, if yours is attached to rock work that means that it couldn't find an acceptable place in the sand.

kc
Old 06/11/2007, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FloridaPride
I just bought one myself. It's at least 8 inches across. How long will it take for my Maroon to host with it?

Should I dig a hole so it can attach it's foot to the glass?
mine was hosted by my GSmaroon on thr third day. just be patient. good luck.
Old 06/11/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

will the Sebae dig its own hole in the sand? or should I dig one for him?
Old 06/11/2007, 09:13 PM
Moved On

it'll dig one it's self, where it wants to be, not where you want it at. they prefer fairly deep sand as well, 4-6 inches deep.

kc
Old 06/11/2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

my sand bed meets that criteria. Its only been 2 days so I guess I need to be a little more patient.

Thanks for the replies......
Old 06/11/2007, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

My crispa stuck itself on a rock and hasn't moved from that spot even though the rock completely changed flow/lighting when I moved it to a new tank!
Old 06/13/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

i have read that crispas either are sand dwellers or rock dwellers. not just one or the other.
Old 06/13/2007, 05:54 PM
10 & Over Club
Coral Biographer

Quote:
Originally posted by dragon_slayer
Again, H. Crispa is a sand dwelling anemone, if yours is attached to rock work that means that it couldn't find an acceptable place in the sand.

kc
I agree with this..

Dave