Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2007, 06:56 PM
Killer of Giants

cleaning powerheads

Coming up on the year anniversary of my tank. Not sure how often you guys clean powerheads, but mine are gonna need it. Aside from scrubbing, do you soak in vinegar? If so, how soon is it ok to put them back in the tank? Just air dry or good soak in water?

thanks
Old 12/15/2007, 09:43 PM
Conforming Non-Conformist

I actually soaked mine in a dilute mixture of muriatic acid and water. It's stronger than vinegar, ergo works faster.

If I recall, I added one part muriatic acid to about 10 parts water.

(Remember: add acid to water, not water to acid!)
Old 12/15/2007, 09:58 PM
VENI VITI VICI!!!

i unassemble mine under cold tap water, using a Q-Tip to get inside the magnet hole to clean it, and an inkless papertowel to clean off the blades and the inside of the PH surfaces, as well as the impellar shaft.
the vinegar would help helpful if you keep a CaC12 above 450 ppm, dKH higher than 12, or if you you use Kalk. JME!!!

FWIW: 100% distilled, 5 % acidic, pure white vinegar.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:55 PM
Premium Member

Actually I have just put one in a bath of vinegar to soak it. Covered with coraline and the suction cups aren't working well either. Hope it cleans up.....
Old 12/16/2007, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

Agree with Scott, diluted muriatic acid works great on them. I also use sulfuric acid on the really pesky stuff
Old 12/16/2007, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

I use vinegar about 50 -50 with tap water. I take the ph apart and let it soak overnite in a plastic coffe can.. A toothbrush and running water does the rest. I just rinse them off and use them. There isn't enough vinegar left on them to be a concern.
Old 12/16/2007, 09:11 AM
Killer of Giants

I was reading about my pH concerns and Randy Holmes-Farley actually used white vinegar to help lower pH. Although I'm no longer concerned about that, it appears that a little residual vinegar left on a PH wouldn't harm anything. I'll give them a good scrub and rinse just the same.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 12/16/2007, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

I use white vinegar as well. One time I intended on soaking my mag 9 for a couple of days. I ended up forgetting about it and a week or two later when I pulled it out, the rubber gasket had swelled right up. From now on, I always remove any gasket material prior to soaking.
Old 12/16/2007, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Haffs09
I use white vinegar as well. One time I intended on soaking my mag 9 for a couple of days. I ended up forgetting about it and a week or two later when I pulled it out, the rubber gasket had swelled right up. From now on, I always remove any gasket material prior to soaking.
Very good tip. Thankyou
Old 12/17/2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

I use hot water and bleach. I leave the pump run in the bucket for a little while (After moving off large debris) then I go through the task of cleaning it off with water and qtip if needed... then sometimes I put it back through a bucket of hot water to clean it off.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

try this:

dump gallon of 5% vinegar in a bucket and add some warm tap water (works faster if warm)

the place all your powerheads in there and turn them on,

30 minutes and they look as good as new ^^ I do it once a month to all my pumps if i am not feeling lazy

movement and temperature generated by powerheads speeds up the reaction a ton!

good luck
Old 12/17/2007, 07:37 PM
Wish coral grew faster

I put white vinegar in a 5g bucket and put the power heads in the bucket then plug them in and let them run for 10/20 minutes every other month.

Do the same with my UV, except run the pump in the bucket and have the return going back into the bucket.

Simple/easy/cleans it very well.

Do not disassemble simply run them in the vinegar.