Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/19/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Setting up a BioCube 29...

and I need help! Went to order "The Package" from Tampa Bay Saltwater, and got stumped... do I order the 29 package, or the 20 package (the actual number of gallons the BC holds)??

Looking for some fellow BC 29 owners who could shed some light on what size they ordered!?

Thanks!
Old 11/19/2007, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

I just bought mine from my LFS...BC29.
MaxiJet 1200 Pump
2 Hydor Koralia Model 1's
Old 11/19/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, totally should have clarified... I have the tank and was going to order the live rock/sand/critter package, known as "The Package" on the TBS site when I got all confused... Richard from TBS sent me this way to get some advice from other BC 29 owners....
Old 11/19/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Is there a local pet store you could buy from if you ordered the 20 package and wanted a little more rock? I have about 25 pounds in mine and it's working well. I don't know how to post a picture but if you want to see my tank e-mail me and I can send you one. Sliceofocean@yahoo.com
Old 11/19/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

I have a BC29 and think you would be hard pressed to get 29 pounds of sand and 58 pounds or rock into the tank.
I have 30 pounds of sand in mine and gives about 1 - 1.5 inch sand bed (I used fine grain sand) and have about 35Lbs of rock and am happy with the amount. But I do have 1 big 17 pounder in there. But don't think you would get 58 pounds in there. Unless you get rubble and are going to put it in one of the chamber in the back.

Just thought of what I'm gonna do... Get a nice flat piece for the back wall and break my tonga into rubble for the first chamber. Then I MIGHT have 50 pounds in there..
Good luck

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If it's in English thank a veteran.
Old 11/19/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

I would start with 20# of LR which will seed your sand with critters. Alot of corals are attached to LR so leave some space for your self!
Royal gramma
yellow tailed damsel
2 dusters
CB shrimp
14G
percular clown
watchman goby
firefish
pepp. shrimp
red banded goby
Assorted corals
Old 11/20/2007, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

I bought the 29bc and the package also. I did ther 29 route and it was a nice squeeze to get 58lbs Of LR in there. I have had my package for about 9 months now and love the lot of rock. I did smach some of the smaller pieces and use it as LR rubble in my chamber but if I had the oppurtunity to order again I would get about 40-45 lbs of LR and keep the deep sand bed still.
Old 11/20/2007, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the great responses everyone! It helps me get my head around what will realistically fit in the "big box of water" ...

I'm leaning towards going with the 20 package and maybe just adding some extra sand and rock to the order. I'm also planning to pull the bio-balls and replace with LR rubble, but that is easier to come across for me if I have to "supplement" locally
Old 11/20/2007, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Yes, pull your balls! ah, you know what I mean.
They will work for a while but will eventually become a nitrate factory. Go with the rubble in the center chamber and use the drip tray above it where you can place a little wad of filter floss that you can toss and replace twice a week. This way you can get rid of the filter cartridges which will also become nitrate factories if not changed constantly. That little mod will save you hundreds , those cartridges are expensive.
Royal gramma
yellow tailed damsel
2 dusters
CB shrimp
14G
percular clown
watchman goby
firefish
pepp. shrimp
red banded goby
Assorted corals
Old 11/20/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

pull the balls !!! yes but i would say rubble in the first chamber and a sapphire skimmer in the second. And put your carbon and whatever filter sock in the third where the sponge was (take that out too)

Old 11/21/2007, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the tips...
Since I'll have to wait for the new year for the skimmer (or maybe, if I'm lucky, Santa will put a skimmer under the tree for me), I'm thinking:
Chamber 1: empty (pulling the filter)
Chamber 2: LR rubble and filter floss
Chamber 3: stock pump (pulling the sponge)
(Plus I have a koralia for in the tank)

Does that sound right to you guys?!
Old 11/21/2007, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

Sounds like a good start to me... I hope; because I'm running just about the same set up