Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Finaly Got my 120 SPS Tank Going,what is the soonest I can swap out my corals ?

I have finally got my new 120 SPS tank going.I used some water out of my existing reef tank and about 150 pounds of liverock that I have had in another tank for 2 years when setting it up.I used ro/di water to fill the rest up.My question is how long should I wait to swap the corals out to the new tank?I would like to wait longer ,but I need to move other tanks into the room were my old reef is in so I need the space and the extra power I will get when the power hungry reef light is moved out of that room. Thanks in advance for your help, Chris.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:05 PM
My tank is too full

Chris, This is a fairly debateable topic. I have been researching an 24-48 hour move from one tank to another. I would say you should do another water change with half new and half old tank and go for it. You already have established LR so move a couple pieces and see how they do.

To thine own self be true
Old 01/07/2008, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

Agree with Mark. Also, what is the difference in Temp, Ph, Alk, Salinity between your other tank (s) and your new tank?

Maybe transfer one coral from your old tank after you acclimate to new tank and see how it responds over a several day period? I'd hate to see your lose too many corals in the transfer... Might want to give some frags to a friend just in case...

Scott
Old 01/07/2008, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Mark,I used your sump/refugium idea and it is working great.I have had it going now since last Thursday.I have some zoas in there and they seem to be doing fine.I will try some monti digi frags and see how they do.Thanks,Chris
Old 01/07/2008, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

All of the water tests very close to each other,salintiy is the same,temp the same,calcium a little higher in new tank than the old and the alk is a little lower in the new tank which is at 9 dkh and the old is at 13 dkh which is a little high,I have had trouble getting it lower. Thanks Chris
Old 01/07/2008, 02:59 PM
My tank is too full

That is a big difference in ALK. I would try to buffer it up before moving the corals.

Old 01/07/2008, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

The last alk test was two days ago just retested,new is 10 dkh the old isnow 9 dkh it seems you were right the b ionic buffer works much better thab the kent superbuffer dkh.What is a goood dkh to shoot for?
Old 01/07/2008, 03:36 PM
My tank is too full

I see my best results between 10-11.

Old 01/07/2008, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Any measurable Ammonia or Nitrite in the new tank?

Scott
Old 01/07/2008, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

I just tested both and they are both zero.I put in about 3 hours ago 2 digig frags and so far they look good polyps out and good color even under 216 watts of t-5 lighting with generic bulbs.I just discoverd that I get some free light from the sun at this time of day since the tank is next to 2 windows.Corals sure look different under natural sunlight.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

So far so good ,the 5 pieces of sps I put in there yesterday are doing well.If anyones intrested I will post pics of my new seyup later today. Chris