Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/05/2006, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

bimac with overflow?

Just curiousity, does anybody keep any sort of octo in a tank with a built in overflow? It seems like it would be an easy escape route for the octo, but makes having a sump easier.
Old 02/08/2006, 01:01 PM
Coral Farmer

I have an overflow on my Oceanic 60 gallon reef ready tank. I've only had my bimac get in there once but he was chasing a big blue crab. For the most part he stays in the display tank and has no interest in escaping. I can include pics if your interested.

Go noles! '99 grad here.
Old 02/08/2006, 01:45 PM
Coral Farmer

You can see my setup here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=771789

any questions? just ask.
Old 02/08/2006, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

nice setup. How long have you had it in there? Do you know if Bimac's are sensitive to powerful lighting? Thanks for the help.

Oh, and I just graduated from FSU in December. I've had a great time in Tallahassee.

-Mark
Old 02/08/2006, 03:50 PM
Coral Farmer

I've only heard of cuttlefish requiring dimmed lighting due to blindness issues. Octopus do like dimmed lighting and mine generally comes out with the actinics on. However, I'm not sure if it effects them negatively.

I bought mine online a few months ago. It was really tiny, whch I wanted, since these guys don't live too long.

Yes, I too had a great time in Tally. I was a football player and ran track, so I had a REALLY good time.
Old 02/09/2006, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

thats awesome that you played football here (and track)...especially in '99. There is another guy on here that played football at FSU for the past few years.

I am interested in setting up a bimac tank, but I think I'm going to have to wait for a while. I think I may try a cuttlefish in the reef tank I'm setting up.
Old 02/09/2006, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

Okay, so I've heard that Bimac's aren't reef safe, but why is that? Is it because of the light? Is too much flow bad for them? I've heard that they can rearrange coral. Is it because they eat snails and hermit crabs, so it would be hard to keep the tank clean...is that why they aren't reef safe? Is there something else I am missing?
Old 02/09/2006, 02:39 PM
Coral Farmer

Yea, we had some good times back then. '95 to '99 were some of the best years to be there. Especially for football.

No octopus is "reef safe" due to the fact they are opportunistic feeders. The term "reef safe" is all relative, however. Where are octopus found? Usually among reefs or rubble.

Yes, they will rearrange the aquascaping if it is not tied down well. All of these issues can be solved with a little prior planning. I see no reason why octo's cannot be kept with corals. I'm doing it right now with Clarkii clowns and corals. I wouldn't call my tank a reef but closely resembles a lagoon.

Cuttlefish are more difficult to keep. They require A LOT of space and are not tolerant of high light levels. They also suffer from "butt burn" which occurs when they routinely bump into the tank with their tail ends. The tissue eventually becomes inflammed and can become infected. I would hold off on a cuttle until you have octo experience.

Visit www.tonmo.com for a huge amount of info on both of these creatures.
Old 02/10/2006, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

no good with reef
Old 02/10/2006, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by freecard
no good with reef
is there any other reasons that you see other than the rearragning of corals and the bioload? is MH lighting bad for them? Is too much flow bad for them? Are corals going to sting them? I understand that they put out quite a bioload, but other than that and the rearranging, is there something else I am missing?
Old 02/14/2006, 04:40 PM
Me in Iraq

I don't know if it's true or a rumor, but I've heard that if you put about a 3 inch strip of astro turf around the top edge of your over flow, it will keep escapees out of the overflow.

Something about Octos don't like the texture of astro turf so they stay away. Again, might just be rumor.
Old 02/22/2006, 08:27 PM
Architecture Fanatic

Location: "Does it seem like were walking uphill" "a rubix cube"
aquaman- i was planning an octopus tank for a while and heard this about octos and overflows as well.
I heand that they cant grip it with their suction cups...but i could definatly be wrong...i am not in any way an expert on this subject!

-alien
Old 04/08/2006, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

The use of astroturf around the octopus exhibit. Its the only substance these 8 legged escape artists cant use there suction cup tentacles to grab hold of.

quote from Modern Marvels: Aquariums: Windows on a Watery World 1997. A bit dated but defiently worth a rent if you use netflix.
Old 04/09/2006, 04:09 PM
Architecture Fanatic

Location: "Does it seem like were walking uphill" "a rubix cube"
They actually had that on modern marvels?
THats awsome xanthid! THanks for the tip.

BTW- that show is amazing!
Old 03/03/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aquaman67
I don't know if it's true or a rumor, but I've heard that if you put about a 3 inch strip of astro turf around the top edge of your over flow, it will keep escapees out of the overflow.

Something about Octos don't like the texture of astro turf so they stay away. Again, might just be rumor.
this is what we did at the public aquarium i volunteer for, except its like two feet or more deep on the inside of the top part of the tank, and runs over the lip. as it was explained to me, the octos cant grip the astro very well, so escape is not possible. its an open top tank, and as far as i know the octo never got out