Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum

Old 12/17/2007, 02:12 AM
Registered Member

Dr. Foster and Smith RC's aeirated at least 24 hours tested with sailfert.

SG 1.026
Mag 1220
Alk 12.8
Cal 360
Old 12/17/2007, 03:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ooja3k
@ 1.026 my RC's CA measures 420 (API)

ive tested every mix ive made over the last year. all the same.
My salt was purchased at the LFS in a bag not in a bucket... I dump out the bag then and place it into 3 ziploc bags...

Do you guys think this has anything to do with it?
Old 12/17/2007, 04:10 AM
Premium Member

Lower Ca and Alk levels could be the result of improper storage of salt. Salt mixes are hygroscopic. If you store it unsealed, salt mix absorbs water, which results in lower Ca & Alk levels from excessive CaC03 precipitation.
Old 12/17/2007, 04:20 AM
Registered Member

So maybe the issue could be the buckets not forming a proper seal, allowing moisture from the air in...

Just a thought...
Old 12/17/2007, 08:26 AM
Reef Chemist

Bear in mind that if all of the alkalinity in a salt mix (4 meq/L or 10 dKH) precipitated as calcium carbonate, the calcium would only drop by 80 ppm. Of course, that would leave no alkalinity, which was not observed. A drop of 1 meq/L (2.8 dKH) from normal is only a 20 ppm drop in calcium.

The caveat is that if you have not allowed the salt solution to totally settle, precipitated calcium carbonate could show up as alkalinity still, if the solids get into the alk test solution.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
[i]

If calcium is low and alkalinity is OK, I'd boost it with calcium chloride. I do that to every batch of IO. I also boost magnesium in every batch of IO. [/B]
Excuse me for crashing this thread I came across!

How much do you add to the new sw batch in lets say 25gals?
I would like to boost my calcium if Reef Crystals is lacking eventhough I use limewater makeup with an ATO.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley

If calcium is low and alkalinity is OK, I'd boost it with calcium chloride. I do that to every batch of IO. I also boost magnesium in every batch of IO.
Randy, Did I read that right? You are using IO at a SG of 1.026? I was told IO at that SG is not a good idea.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, brain malfunction. I am confusing IO and Oceanic. My bad.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:47 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mksalt
Randy, Did I read that right? You are using IO at a SG of 1.026? I was told IO at that SG is not a good idea.
Where did you here that. I'm afraid you,ve been misinformed.

Randy has been using IO for years and boost his calcium about 70 ppm making the final product around 420 or so.

I forgot his mag numbers but I think it was around 200ppm magnesium as IO runs about 1100.

IO is a very, very consistent salt mix and used by almost as many that use Reef Crystals. Both fine salt mixes IMO as long as you supplement accordingly.

Actually, I've been trying to talk Randy into trying Reef Crystals for a year or so. He is very stubborn.
Old 12/17/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Sorry. I confuse easily these days…..

I am in the process of switching from Oceanic to IO. Been having some strange readings lately and thought I would try something different. I still have a lot of Oceanic left so I’m actually mixing the two right now. 1/3 OC – 2/3 IO. Just started with this experiment. Going to do my second 10% weekly WC tomorrow.
Old 12/17/2007, 08:31 PM
Team RC Member

A number of reefers mix Oceanic and IO 50/50.

Not my cup of tea but if you want to get rid of your Oceanic, 50/50 isn't so bad.

Or you can do what Randy just did and use your Oceanic on your driveway to melt the snow.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

I think Randy used Coralife salt mix on his driveway.

I picked up a bucket from my LFS last week end. I still haven't opened it. The RC from June from Foster/Smith tested out to:
Cal: 420ppm-salifert
430ppm-lamott
Alk: 12.8DKH-salifert
Mag: 1320-salifert

I will open the "new" bucket tomorrow and mix some up to see what I get. FWIW I dump half a new bucket into another bucket and shake it. Shake the remaining salt in first bucket and mix them back together and shake it again. Not all grains are the same size and I'm sure some has to settle to the bottom. Could affect the readings but might not at the same time.
Old 12/18/2007, 01:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ooja3k
So maybe the issue could be the buckets not forming a proper seal, allowing moisture from the air in...

Just a thought...
Randy is right. If the product were to be affected by water absorbtion, it would have a soggy wet consistency, and people would notice. I mixed a bag of salt that had sat open for months, and was pretty soggy. Alk was reduced, but not gone. Ca was not reduced more than ~45ppm

What I find interesting are the two numbers here. People have posted Calcium levels of either 420 or 360 ppm. I wonder if RC salt is mfr'd at two locations, or something along that line.
Old 12/18/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

It would be appreciated if any of you SW veterans can answer my question concerning the above question I posted yesterday?

I hope it's not a problem; I just need the help we all look for at RC as members.

Thanks!
Old 12/18/2007, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DiazE
It would be appreciated if any of you SW veterans can answer my question concerning the above question I posted yesterday?

I hope it's not a problem; I just need the help we all look for at RC as members.

Thanks!

It depends on how much you'd like to raise your Ca. Have you tried this reef calculator?

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html
Old 12/18/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

First of all, thank you for the lightning reply!

No I haven't used this calculator, but I will, I need to measure my calcium level first.

I know this question has come up, but any suggestions on what to use to measure the calcium?
Old 12/18/2007, 11:34 AM
Flea Slide

A calcium test kit, Salifert or Seachem seem the most popular.
To boost Calcium, the products more practical to do so are Kent Turbocalcium, ESV Calcium Chloride or similar powdered Calcium Chloride.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:00 PM
Ugly fishes need love too

Quote:
Originally posted by kirblit
my RC also tests quite low and I'm very dissapointed. I usually use TM Pro but I got RC in a pinch about a week ago and tested it.

SG- 1.026
CA- 360
ALK- 13 DKH
Mag- 1150

all tests were done with Salifert and I always heard that this was pretty good salt but now I'm not sure.
Hmm... going from memory, I'm getting pretty much those numbers too. Salifert for alk and Mg, and Seachem for Ca.

I hadn't seen any complaints from others. I thought my test kits might have gone bad, or that I was going crazy. I'd remembered better Mg and Ca than that from RC.

Bar codes etc on the side of my bucket read:

1 00 51378 01706 7

and

51378 01706
RC1-160P 03/05
P/N 4808

Does any of that info relate to batch code?

I bought several buckets earlier this year through DFS. I just got a couple new buckets too. I guess I should open one and test.
Old 12/18/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

the 03/05 might mean it was made in March of 05... Or maybe that means it went bad in march 05...
Old 12/18/2007, 01:22 PM
Reef Chemist

Or maybe it means blender 3 out of 5, or maybe made on the third planet from the sun around the fifth star north from astromedies....
Old 12/18/2007, 01:37 PM
Ugly fishes need love too

Heheh... ok

So how do people find out what batch of salt they have?
Old 12/18/2007, 01:42 PM
Gastropod E.M.T.

Does anybody know of a reputable source for a reference sample. I found this one, but who's to say that THEIR numbers are correct ?

http://www.reefperfection.com/index....ROD&ProdID=469
Old 12/19/2007, 02:19 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Ugly
Hmm... going from memory, I'm getting pretty much those numbers too. Salifert for alk and Mg, and Seachem for Ca.

I hadn't seen any complaints from others. I thought my test kits might have gone bad, or that I was going crazy. I'd remembered better Mg and Ca than that from RC.

Bar codes etc on the side of my bucket read:

1 00 51378 01706 7

and

51378 01706
RC1-160P 03/05
P/N 4808

Does any of that info relate to batch code?

I bought several buckets earlier this year through DFS. I just got a couple new buckets too. I guess I should open one and test.
Mr. , First let me say this is only my opinion from my many hours of testing different brand calcium test kits.

The Seachem Calcium test kit reads about 70 ppm low when compared to other test kits I have used. So your numbers don't surprise me.

Try an API kit (very inexpensive but accurate) or a Salifert kit and I believe you will see calcioum numbers between 420 and 430 ppm.
Old 12/19/2007, 02:25 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike O'Brien
Does anybody know of a reputable source for a reference sample. I found this one, but who's to say that THEIR numbers are correct ?

http://www.reefperfection.com/index....ROD&ProdID=469
Mike, I've been saying this for years.

Example, The Seachem calcium test kit and reference sample match to a tee. But they are both off when compared to other test kits.

Lamotte, Salifert and API all come in close, in my testing, yet Seachem is always around 70 ppm lower than those mentioned.

I do not know whether it is even possible to make a calcium standard. Randy would know.

But the proof is in the pudding. You buy 4 hobby grade test kits and 3 of the match. The fourth doesn't. And yet the fourth is the only one that comes with a reference.

You be the judge.
Old 12/19/2007, 02:53 AM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

i just tested mine, mixed up 45 gallons out of the middle of the bucket, 350 ca
13 alkalnity

both salifert kits, both fairly new.

salinity was 1.026 via atc refractometer.