Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods

Old 03/10/2006, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

cuttle hatchlings

ok, so me and my boss are setting up cuttle tanks. we are both very much aware of the conditions these creaturs need, and how to care for them and whatnot, but one thing we cant seem to find info on is specific behavior of cuttles right after they hatch.

i dont have my cuttle eggs yet (our distributer has two clutches of S. bandensis eggs on order for us), but i want to find out what behavior i should look for in my cuttles, to make sure they are in good health. will they be active right away? or will there be a period of rest/innactivity afterward, and if so, how long will this last before they become active. when should they start feeding (i plan to add a few live mysis to the breader net when the eggs go in, so they have a quick snack as soon as they feel ready).

also, just out of curiosity, what is a baby ceph called?
Old 03/10/2006, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

Ive seen baby bandensis from different sources act very different. So different that I question if some were actually a different type. My first batches, I kept well in groups of 6-12 in one breeder net. A 2nd batch from a different source Ive observed an incredible canabolism rate. They almost needed to be isolated 1 to breeder! They are active when born, changing colors from white to a dark red. They may take a couple days to start eating, but often accept pods, mysis, and even small marine shrimp that are 4 times thier size! Again, I noticed only my first batch took on the marine shrimp at this age.

As newborns, they will not move around as much. Place some macro in with the breeder nets for them to rest in. I find that feeding them a small amount a couple times a day is better then flood feeding. This allows you to observe them eating to make sure they do.

As they grow larger and am more confident in aquiring food, they will become more active.
Old 03/10/2006, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

thankyou for the speedy reply, just what i wanted to know
Old 03/12/2006, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Feeding is very difficult, hope you have plenty of mysis and amphipods and the like.
Old 03/12/2006, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

there are loads in the vats at work, i just fish them out, i also have access to plenty of brine shrimp, and small crabs and the like
feeding shouldnt be a problem
Old 03/12/2006, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Skip the brine shrimp. I've never read of a single hatchling ceph--in the scientific literature or in the hobby--survive for more than a few days on artemia.

Dan
Old 03/21/2006, 10:58 PM
Architecture Fanatic

Location: "Does it seem like were walking uphill" "a rubix cube"
They had some hatchlings at the lfs last week.

They were really tiny.

-alien
Old 03/22/2006, 12:28 PM
I am Nano

Baby octos are called inklets, not sure if cuttles are the same or not.